Author Topic: Advice.....  (Read 3285 times)

Re: Advice.....
« Reply #25 on: 16 August, 2019, 12:39:23 pm »
Study what interests you.

As for careers advice it's quite possible that what you will end up working most of your life on is still an experiment in someones garage.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

ian

« Reply #26 on: 16 August, 2019, 01:14:51 pm »
Also, enjoy it now, there are fifty years of looking at spreadsheets ahead, or until someone builds a smarter robot.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 16 August, 2019, 01:29:46 pm »
Cut the red blue wire.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #28 on: 16 August, 2019, 08:25:18 pm »
Also, enjoy it now, there are fifty years of looking at spreadsheets ahead, or until someone builds a smarter robot.
I like looking at spreadsheets though.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 16 August, 2019, 08:27:52 pm »
Cut the red blue wire.

Carefully de-solder the wire, because it'll be too short if you cut it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #30 on: 16 August, 2019, 08:30:53 pm »
Cut the red blue wire.

Carefully de-solder the wire, because it'll be too short if you cut it.
Its not going to reach that other tab however you disconnect it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #31 on: 17 August, 2019, 08:01:17 am »
Cut the red blue wire.

Bah. Cut'em both, reconnect them crossed and let the next bugger sort it out.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #32 on: 17 August, 2019, 11:20:54 am »
Study what interests you.

I did - mechanical engineering. I think the sector in the U.K. has been in decline ever since!  OTOH both my daughters studied degrees in subjects they knew would give them good grades (geography for one, chemistry for the other) without ever wanting a career in them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #33 on: 17 August, 2019, 10:26:33 pm »
At 40 years old, you're not old, and you will still be able to have fun, and be seriously active.
Spend as much time outdoors doing as much fun stuff as possible.
Don't make hasty decisions, but equally, don't overthink stuff, gut feel is often the right way to go for a complex decision.
If a chance to do something amazing turns up, take it, don't find an excuse not to do it.
Doing dangerous stuff makes you feel more alive.
Try new stuff as often as you can.
And finally, don't try pulling a stupid amount of air with the aim of landing on a hard piste.
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #34 on: 19 August, 2019, 09:39:46 am »
I choose my final degree on the day. I was wandering around and it was the smallest queue for registration and it seemed I had passed all the correct pre-requisites, and what the hell.

That was my take on career planning.

My sister never left home (until she was 43 – OK, she left long enough to get pregnant before returning). My niece shows no interest in going further than Morrisons. Honestly, I can't rationalize that lack of will to do anything and the dearth of ambition, but I must have been dropped on my head as a child or something.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #35 on: 19 August, 2019, 09:58:26 am »
O'levels: Okay but the school 6 form is not the place for you.  Sadly I had been bullied through school and was petrified to go somewhere else where the dangers were unknown.  A least I knew who to keep away from in the environment I knew.

A' levels: Perhaps leaving 6th Form after 3 months isn't the best way to go, but you will get the rest of your A'levels (I had two on leaving as I took O'leves early) through night school. Also, don't worry that you decide not to a Business Studies degree at the last minute, you will do the right degree for you in a couple of years.  Also, ignore the jumped up plonkers of salesmen (who you work with for a while) with a couple of O'levels who treat you like you're stupid, it says more about them than you.

Overall: Bits of paper don't matter a jot, it's drive, determination and the fact that you don't give up that gets you anywhere. 

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #36 on: 19 August, 2019, 12:03:36 pm »
Follow your dreams not the money
Pen Pusher

« Reply #37 on: 20 August, 2019, 11:18:17 am »
Plinky plonky mate, that's where it's at. Learn how to compose that plinky plonky music, can't be difficult, you can do it alongside everything else, make a plinky plonky name for yourself and by the time you grow up you'll find that they can't have any vaguely sad or emotional scene on TV without a bit of plinky plonky. Stands to reason if you can do that, you'll be made.

On a more serious note, there's no way I would have listened to anything I told me, anyway. But if I had to, I'd tell me all that obsession finding the Meaning of Life in words, poetry, lyrics? You had that right, but you missed the only important phrase: "Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air"

« Reply #38 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:34:19 pm »
Don’t worry so much about what people think and taking a chance.

But mostly I’ve muddled through ok. I haven’t done what I thought I would on results day, but I’ve enjoyed the turns along the way.

fuzzy

« Reply #39 on: 22 August, 2019, 11:34:11 pm »
Don,t try and pick up your A Level results- you didn't take any.