Author Topic: The Bob McHardy Memorial Meander 100k Sunday 7th December 2014 0800  (Read 4098 times)

Lurcio

• Lurcio

A gentle 100k ride through delightful Sussex lanes in memorial to the great Bob McHardy, who helped out on many of Dave Hudson’s rides and who sadly died last year. Starting from Hailsham Leisure Centre Vicarage Lane, BN27 2AX at 8am Sunday 7th December 2014.
The ride will gently meander its way through the delightful Sussex countryside to Clayton (Bob’s resting place), riders will be fed and watered in the Car Park before recommencing their meander back to Hailsham.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6033180

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-363/
Put my medals on the table....you must be jokimg!

Chicane

• short for Bob
Re: The Bob McHardy Memorial Meander 100k Sunday 7th December 2014 0800
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2014, 11:51:48 pm »
Hi,

Not completely sure if I am allowed to post this on here but I thought I would try and raise a bit of money to support the current Ebola Crisis if anyone felt like donating anything, and will give me the incentive to go to the event (and pay my respects) whatever the weather! Sorry if it seems like yet another charity plea but I have made my own donation so very happy whatever money is raised above that.

https://www.justgiving.com/EmmaCutler1

Looking forward to it!

Very Best Wishes to you all,
Emma

Chicane

• short for Bob
« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2014, 11:56:27 am »
Just to try and give myself more of challenge and hopefully raise a bit more money at this time of year going to give it a go on my Schwinn - may be a long day! See the just giving link for a photo. Thanks for your interest.

« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2014, 09:13:16 pm »
Who's in.. Closes tonight....

Emma, good luck with the Schwinn, being you're a champ you wont have any problems  :thumbsup:
May have to dust off the fixer  ;D
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Chicane

• short for Bob
« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2014, 10:35:32 am »
We're all champs Andy! I'll also be dressing up for the occasion - so rarely get to do that these days! Thought a bit of fancy dress might get a few donations en route. Also thought I had better warn you beforehand!  Hopefully no disrespect to Mr McHardy - I am sure it would have raised a smile  :)

It's very quiet on this thread!

« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2014, 12:52:14 pm »
I've entered as the start is nearish the folks' place (well, an hour's riding time) and I'm visiting them this weekend. But an 8am start on a Sunday?! Ooof. Still, should mean I'll appreciate lunch more!

J

« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2014, 08:35:34 pm »
I'll also be dressing up for the occasion - so rarely get to do that these days! Thought a bit of fancy dress might get a few donations en route. Also thought I had better warn you beforehand! 

Go for it, what do we need to look out for, better make sure I bring the camera and wallet- better mind all the moths though!   ;D 

« Reply #7 on: 01 December, 2014, 08:44:36 pm »
8am start on a Sunday?! Ooof. Still, should mean I'll appreciate lunch more!

J

No doubt there will be a few portions of the high octane Stollen cake /rocket fuel to burn all the way back to Hailsham, hey Lurcio..

Chicane

• short for Bob
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2014, 08:30:02 am »
Go for it, what do we need to look out for, better make sure I bring the camera and wallet- better mind all the moths though!

OK just for the record it's bike riding only  :) I think I'm going rock chick - trying to find my hotpants somewhere - I think they're in the wash! Hey ho still time! Don't forget your wallet!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2014, 10:14:58 pm »
Blast, wasn't paying attention and missed this.

Provided I'm over my cold by then (albeit that doesn't seem too likely right now) and pack my own food does anyone object to me tagging along? Not worried about not having a card, just be nice to ride in Bob's memory.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2014, 07:15:15 am »
Blast, wasn't paying attention and missed this.

Provided I'm over my cold by then (albeit that doesn't seem too likely right now) and pack my own food does anyone object to me tagging along? Not worried about not having a card, just be nice to ride in Bob's memory.

No tagging along, actually we don't own the rds!! The organiser provides various means of contacting him, see PM.

Plus you can only ride if in fancy dress, everyone else is  ;) 

« Reply #11 on: 04 December, 2014, 08:32:34 am »
Last count 57 plus down to ride. The master is doing the feed at Clayton too  :thumbsup:

Chicane

• short for Bob
« Reply #12 on: 04 December, 2014, 08:40:20 am »
Plus you can only ride if in fancy dress, everyone else is  ;) 

Funny!  See you Sunday Comrades!  :)

Lurcio

• Lurcio
« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2014, 05:31:49 pm »
The weather was much better than expected but with Mark Fairweather organising you would expect that. The control and feed at a burial ground must be a first. The nice people at the Clayton Burial ground have said we can use it next year. 47 completed and for a number of riders it was their first experience of an Audax.
A special thank you to Mark Beauchamp for riding one of Bob's bikes to the Claydon Burial Ground. The El Supremo feed meant no one went hungry although a few riders ruined their appetites by breakfasting at Ditchling (Route sheet did not mention a feed!)
John Hopper completed months after a knee replacement and a heart operation.
Photographs will be posted later this week.(Mad Jack)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #14 on: 07 December, 2014, 08:53:14 pm »
Even lending a helping hand in the car park was fun. It seems A Rock Chick will be supplied on all of Mark's events in future. But that might be a ruse to get more volunteers. Or perhaps not even true.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2014, 08:59:27 pm »
Twas a nice ride out, some of the roads were a little muddy ;) ;D, but all in all a very nice audax ride with good support from the organisers.  Many thanks to one and all and to the riders on the route who, as always, are friendly with some good banter along the way.
ps. nice to see Emma on her shwinn riding in some rather novel cycling gear (not that i'm complaining mind ;D), hope you raised some more funds for a good cause.

Chicane

• short for Bob
« Reply #16 on: 08 December, 2014, 08:58:16 am »
Thank you - got about £40 in donations from fellow Audaxers and a few promises to donate online so £240 so far. It was a lot of fun but hard work on the bike. Thanks Andy for towing me around  :) He told me all about Bob and got to see his bike at Clayton although very briefly as it was too cold to stop for too long. (Just glad it wasn't -3 yesterday!) Hopefully I would have made him laugh anyway!
Andy took loads of photos, said he would post them here if I get some more donations?  :demon:
The other good thing is that if I turn up at an Audax in my usual kit nobody will take any notice now!(although I have a girlfriend who was interested in joining in, maybe in the not to distant future!..... ;))
Happy Pedaling and thanks again!

« Reply #17 on: 08 December, 2014, 01:49:07 pm »
A great day awheel, well done Mark and his team for organizing this, rumor has it it will be back in 2015 but slightly earlier in December with the same format.
Thanks EL Supremo for the superb mobile feed as per usual, the two gallons of Cappuccinos went down a treat along with the mini stollen cakes and flap jack, (get it down your fat neck) :thumbsup:.

A massive well done to Emma for towing me around  ;D, that was no mean feat and being on a machine that weighed in at 60 lbs plus and saddle bag with full rations. Top speed was noted at around 42 kmh!! Slight gear problem with the three speed hub being in semi auto mode and it was not a happy bunny if it was not hard enough already! Emma kept pressing on, the hub may require a full service after this and was not designed for hammering around Sussex  :thumbsup:
Photos to follow- some of the looks on Joe public's faces were a picture, well done on the donations so far and keep em coming, even my moths are all now frozen now they have been released. ::-)

« Reply #18 on: 08 December, 2014, 07:55:47 pm »
Photographs will be posted later this week.(Mad Jack)

All in your capable hands Sir, wait for it.........................  :-*

Lurcio

• Lurcio
« Reply #19 on: 09 December, 2014, 09:08:20 am »
Hi,

Not completely sure if I am allowed to post this on here but I thought I would try and raise a bit of money to support the current Ebola Crisis if anyone felt like donating anything, and will give me the incentive to go to the event (and pay my respects) whatever the weather! Sorry if it seems like yet another charity plea but I have made my own donation so very happy whatever money is raised above that.

https://www.justgiving.com/EmmaCutler1

Looking at these photographs of the day a large proportion featuring Emma I know her cause deserves support. It really was a memorable day in honour of Bob, note one of Bobs bikes is also pictures, now owned by our own Mark Beauchamp.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4x76owh41byjd74/AAAUf11lWIaTQgKKvCoXhmWka

Very Best Wishes to you all,
Emma

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #20 on: 11 August, 2018, 10:15:12 am »
Is there a date for this next year? I entered the April 2017 edition (DNS) but must have missed it this year (been travelling a lot so could easily have missed it).

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: 13 August, 2018, 12:01:46 pm »
[OHO]
No request from Org, so no, no news...
[/OHO]
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #22 on: 30 September, 2018, 11:03:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I'm in contact with AUK to see if it's possible that I might be able to take it over and run it again.