Author Topic: What GPS?  (Read 8480 times)

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Re: What GPS?
« Reply #25 on: 18 May, 2010, 03:27:35 pm »
Panoramix, how was the Dakota on the BCM?
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #26 on: 18 May, 2010, 05:02:31 pm »
180, would nearly be a recovery rate for a rower!

Surly that depends on the rower! Different people have different max heart rates and it has little to do with fitness!

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #27 on: 18 May, 2010, 07:10:07 pm »

I think that the verdict is very good (but not excellent).
Let's get the negative out of the way first:
- The map mode eats out batteries.
-In map mode the 'next pt' field is so small that you can't read it.
But for audaxing purposes there are many good points:
- Although the screen is not bright, it is very legible in all light conditions. Backlight is only needed at night.
-With the trip computer on, 2600mAh batteries last 15 hours of riding. So that is a set of batteries per 300
-You can make an electronic routesheet as it shows the comments field of a GPX route
- The user interface is friendly to human beings!

So in short if you only use the map as a backup and do 1 instruction = 1 wpt it works very very well. It takes two key strokes to switch from trip computer to map in case of doubt. Battery life is good enough but not as good as the vista. I personally think that it is much better than the vista but understand why FF did not like it.

I haven't yet tried the follow a track feature, the heart rate monitor nor the routing so can't comment on these features. I have used it to go geocaching with my daughter and she loved it.
Chief cat entertainer.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #28 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:43:31 pm »
And, having just got back from crossing France with Pan's old Vista -
I personally think that it is much better than the vista dakota but understand why FF Panoramix did not like it.

;)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #29 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:51:40 pm »
And, having just got back from crossing France with Pan's old Vista -
I personally think that it is much better than the vista dakota but understand why FF Panoramix did not like it.

;)

I think that we can now say that the swap is a definitive one!!!
Chief cat entertainer.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #30 on: 02 June, 2010, 04:59:39 pm »

- The map mode eats out batteries.

- In map mode the 'next pt' field is so small that you can't read it.

- You can make an electronic routesheet as it shows the comments field of a GPX route

So in short if you only use the map as a backup and do 1 instruction = 1 wpt it works very very well. It takes two key strokes to switch from trip computer to map in case of doubt.

By how much does the Dakota eat batteries in map mode? And is the vista the same?

Would you use map view on the Vista, or an electronic route sheet? Anyone have any thoughts on which approch would be most useful if riding off-road?

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #31 on: 02 June, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »

By how much does the Dakota eat batteries in map mode? And is the vista the same?

Would you use map view on the Vista, or an electronic route sheet? Anyone have any thoughts on which approch would be most useful if riding off-road?

I haven't really tried the Dakota in map mode on a long ride, I only use it for geocaching or commuting, FF reports  more than 8 hours in map mode, my guess would be somewhere between 8 and 12.

You can't really make what I call an "electronic routesheet" on the Vista. On the Vista a typical instruction will be "56E2S" as instruction 56, exit 2, straight. On the Dakota you can make it "2nd Exit  A470" or "2nd Exit Dogellau". As a consequence you are much less likely to miss the turn as road signs become relevant. It may look like a minor point but actually for audaxing it makes a big difference, you can also record really useful instruction such as "Carry through Barmouth"

When audaxing, I was using the vista with the map, a field showing the next instruction and another the distance to the next instruction, I use the Dakota with no map but the speed, time, battery level, distance to next and instruction. The only disadvantage is that you have to press two keys to check the map (which I sometimes do to check that i haven't gone off route), but IMO the advantage of meaningful instructions outweighs  this drawback. I used to get more than 20 hours out of the Vista (map mode) and this is the only feature I really miss.

For off-road riding you probably want the map mode but surely autonomy is not such a big issue. You would probably get away with one set of batteries per day. Andy's map looks great on the Dakota.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #32 on: 02 June, 2010, 07:37:32 pm »
I have a Oregon which in map mode lasts for about 14/15hours hours with the back light on. 2900 rechargeable bateries. I am inclined to not touch the device when i am riding just leave it on the map screen having the track visible and following the route for turn by turn directions.

I completed Sheila's Plains 300 on one set of batteries.

By all accounts the Dakota has slightly better battery life.

I never ride off-road but I'd have thought a track would be the best.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #33 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:38:42 am »
Thanks to both of you, really useful feedback, Seems the Dakota remains on the top of my GPS shopping list.

« Reply #34 on: 08 June, 2010, 11:43:42 am »
Does the Dakota suffer from the intermittant loss-of-power problem that the Legend (and I think Vista) suffered from?

« Reply #35 on: 08 June, 2010, 12:05:41 pm »
i got through about one and a half sets of 2600 batteries on a recent 18 - 20 hour ride, thats in an oregon, i too would expect longer from a  dakota.
i have the screen light set to 30 seconds and was checking it quite a lot overnight so used quite a lot of power. i'd probably get more with power save on but can't see the point, i boughyt it to look at!.
i've used it quite a lot off road but to be honest i've never used a route, well maybe once, i always use tracks.
i plot where i want to go on Tracklogs save it as a .gpx and then transfer it to the gps, i believe oregon and dakota work the same way regarding this.
if i want waypoints then for me it's just cafes, bike shops and such and using Andys maps even they are becoming redundant because i'm graually adding cafes to osm.
since i sold my vista to my daughter i've used the oregon all the time and once you get the screen tilt angle right visiblity is great, as good as an etrex. i used it last Wednesday and thursday for teh above ride, in brilliant sunshne and had no problems seeing the screen.
i find the touch screen a lot more convenient than the buttons of an etrex.

« Reply #36 on: 08 June, 2010, 12:34:03 pm »
I had the use of an Dekota 20 this weekend - I found the screen much harder to read in the sun than my 450 Oregon and the general build just did not feel as robust. I also found the Dekota did not hold the signal as well as the Oregon.

I would definitely buy a x50 series Oregon over the Dakota unless size is the single biggest factor. Also if you have a 4 date fields on the Dakota the map is tiny - too tiny!

I also managed to break the Dakota I was using - it took a flyer from the bike mount >:( It did not bounce very well.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #37 on: 08 June, 2010, 08:55:13 pm »
I also managed to break the Dakota I was using - it took a flyer from the bike mount >:( It did not bounce very well.
Don't like the sound of that, the bike mount I have feel like it is grabbing the Dakota 20 very well nearly broke a nail when taking it off. But I will also use the lanyard too just to be sure to be sure.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #38 on: 08 June, 2010, 10:42:43 pm »
Don't like the sound of that, the bike mount I have feel like it is grabbing the Dakota 20 very well nearly broke a nail when taking it off. But I will also use the lanyard too just to be sure to be sure.

I had the same experience with the Oregon when I first tried it on the mount - I'm not sure if the Oregon had loosened the mount as it was the same mount the Dakota came off.
I pushed the Dakota on the mount until I heard the click as it engages yet it still came off. I put it on again just to check it and could see that it would work it's way loose.

I've purchased a short lanyard now - and I'll double wrap the Oregon for belt and braces. I've sent the Dakota back claiming the mount was not fit for purpose - which is the case in my opinion!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #39 on: 09 June, 2010, 09:00:51 am »
That's weird - I think the mount for my Oregon is absolutely excellent - totally reliable and solid. I don't click the unit right in either, I just slide it down until it's a snug fit. Mine isn't mounted horizontally, however, being on a recumbent.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #40 on: 09 June, 2010, 09:17:30 am »
no problem with my mount either, on road or off. but i aways wrap the lanyard round the bars just to be on the safe side.

« Reply #41 on: 09 June, 2010, 10:40:30 am »
Code: [Select]
That's weird - I think the mount for my Oregon is absolutely excellent - totally reliable and solid. I don't click the unit right in either, I just slide it down until it's a snug fit. Mine isn't mounted horizontally, however, being on a recumbent.
Yes on the Oregon the mount is great - it was the Dakota which took a flyer. I had used the same mount for both and I am not sure if this was a problem - maybe the Oregon had somehow enlarged it. I also have to fight to get the Oregon off of the mount. I'd have thought the Oregon and Dakota would have been identical!

No matter I'd recommend using a lanyard as well. 

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #42 on: 14 June, 2010, 05:57:01 pm »
From pictures it looks as though this mount will also fit the very new (as in not available yet) 62 series - an interesting-looking new development that gives me hope that there might yet be life in the Etrex line after the HCx series ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

red marley

« Reply #43 on: 15 June, 2010, 11:13:26 am »
Does anyone know if the Garmin Dakota bike mount can be clipped in to the Garmin Edge bike mount base? From the photos it looks like they might share the same base, but it is not clear if the Dakota mount allows the base and the back plate to be separated.

Also, does the Dakota mount allow it to be fitted at 90 degrees to the curve of the tube like the Edge mount (ie. so it can be fitted to the handlebar stem rather than the handlebars directly)?

Andy M

« Reply #44 on: 15 June, 2010, 11:17:14 am »
Also, does the Dakota mount allow it to be fitted at 90 degrees to the curve of the tube like the Edge mount (ie. so it can be fitted to the handlebar stem rather than the handlebars directly)?

+1 for the Oregon mount, does anyone know if that can be stem mounted?

Edited: Found this review on Wiggle which suggests it can be:
It does what it says in the description, has a 'mounting block underneath to allow a better 'fit' on the stem or handle-bars - the trouble is that once you have it fitted you realise that unless it's REALLY overcast you can't read the display on the Oregon anyway! (But that's not the fault of the mount). Particularly if you fix it to the stem, as you will be affected even more by the stem's rise angle which will make the display even harder to read. (aka impossible).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #45 on: 15 June, 2010, 12:35:33 pm »
Does anyone know if the Garmin Dakota bike mount can be clipped in to the Garmin Edge bike mount base? From the photos it looks like they might share the same base, but it is not clear if the Dakota mount allows the base and the back plate to be separated.

Assuming the Dakota Mount is the same as the Oregon one (which I believe it is - or similar) you can easily rotate the mount base 90 degrees to fit it on the handlebars or on the stem. Mine's fitted on a stem equivalent on my recumbent. From memory it may also be the same size as the Edge rubber mount base but I'm not 100% sure about that.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #46 on: 15 June, 2010, 12:45:51 pm »

Assuming the Dakota Mount is the same as the Oregon one (which I believe it is - or similar) you can easily rotate the mount base 90 degrees to fit it on the handlebars or on the stem. Mine's fitted on a stem equivalent on my recumbent. From memory it may also be the same size as the Edge rubber mount base but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I can confirm that the Edge and the Oregon are NOT the same bracket, I don't have a bike bracket for my Oregon, at a guess (given the size) I'd say Dakota & Oregon are similar.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #47 on: 15 June, 2010, 01:15:19 pm »
Yep, it's not the same bracket, but the rubber base thingie might be the same (which is what the OP was asking, if I read the comments correctly)

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #48 on: 15 June, 2010, 01:21:32 pm »

There is no back plate on the Dakota, just the GPS and the mount.

Yes, this is how I have fitted mine.
Chief cat entertainer.

red marley

« Reply #49 on: 15 June, 2010, 01:41:34 pm »
OK - I'm a bit confused now. According to Helen and Panoramix, the Dakota/Oregon mount can either be fitted to the bars or to the stem. This implies that the curvy bit that gets attached to the zip ties can be rotated independently of the large rectangular bit that makes contact with the GPS. Are those two bits entirely separable? I was hoping I could use my existing Edge mount and simply clip the upper half of the Oregon/Dakota mount into it. Or perhaps it's the case that once zip-tied in place, the two bits are effectively stuck together until the zip ties are cut. If so, that's a real pain since it means cutting and replacing the zip ties whenever I needed to swap the Edge and the Dakota on my bike.

It looks like the Geko series, Etrex series, Edge series and Dakota/Oregon series each have different mounting brackets. Maybe an excuse for n+4 bikes.