Author Topic: open streetmap on eTrex Legend  (Read 8200 times)

open streetmap on eTrex Legend
« on: 01 January, 2011, 09:51:19 pm »
 After doing LeJog last year , for a change I'm getting a mountain bike , so looking at the tracks arrond here (southdowns way )
i was tinkering on Open streetmap .
 I can make tracks on OS but can i get OS onto my Garmin , instead of looking at a blank screen ?

Ade

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: open streetmap on eTrex Legend
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2011, 10:56:49 pm »
If your Legend has an SD card (one of the "x" models, Cx, HCx, etc), yes - get the file from my signature, unzip it and copy it to the \garmin folder.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »
cool , Thanks  Andy  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
I'm a bit thick  ::-)
 found the stuff on the sig , but which bit do i need and what do i do with it for my Legend HCx

Ade  wot is fik  :thumbsup:

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2011, 10:39:14 am »
The only map your Garmin can read is this one:

[SD card]\Garmin\gmapsupp.img

so you can obtain a new version of gmapsupp.img from wherever (such as Andy's page) and then one easy way to do it is with a card reader, if you have an adapter for microSD cards.  Just replace the existing  gmapsupp.img  (maybe back it up first) with the new one, using your usual file manager.

If you don't have a card reader you can connect the GPS and coax it into 'external drive' mode via
Menu -> Menu -> Setup -> Interface -> USB Mass Storage
and use file manager as before - but this is a lot slower if it's a very big map file.

If Andy's files are too big you can obtain smaller OSM maps for custom-selected parts of the UK (and the rest of the world) from here:
OSM Routable maps
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2011, 02:37:45 pm »
which bit do i need

OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE.zip

There's a "Tiles" version that you would use on a PC with Mapsource, one for Australia, and old versions of the Tiles and GPS files.

« Reply #6 on: 02 January, 2011, 09:57:53 pm »
Thanks for the replys ,
But i really am thick
is there a tutorial for a step by step , or will it be easyer for me to just get garmin topo ( and if so is it as good ?)

Ade , who is really compooter thick 

« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2011, 01:17:29 am »
If your Legend has an SD card (one of the "x" models, Cx, HCx, etc), yes - get the file from my signature, unzip it and copy it to the \garmin folder.   :thumbsup:
Andy,are you going to produce a simple installer to load your Garmin Munky maps into Mapsource without having to use MapSetToolKit?Would there be a clash of map names with maps already loaded into Mapsource by the installer at OSM Routable Maps,if you produced your own map installer?Please could you add some documentation(sorry if it's already there) to your downloadable map links that explains the difference betwen the 4 UKIE zip files?I believe the 1st and 2nd files are designed to be loaded into Mapsource and the 3rd and 4th are for instalation in a GPS.This is not immediately obvious!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2011, 01:23:30 am »
The last is covered in the readme nobody reads.  Hope to work on an installer at some point : my personal mapsource has been broken so I haven't used it, er, ever.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:08:22 am »
which bit do i need

OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE.zip

There's a "Tiles" version that you would use on a PC with Mapsource, one for Australia, and old versions of the Tiles and GPS files.
The folder structure on my City Europe NT SD card bought with my Garmin Edge 705 starts with a numbered folder(same as SD card barcode)that contains 2 folders EULA and GARMIN.GARMIN contains 2 files GMAPSUPP(disc Image file) and GMAPSUPP.UNL(UNL 1kbit file).Does anyone know what the UNL and EULA files/folders do?

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2011, 10:20:53 am »
The last is covered in the readme nobody reads.  Hope to work on an installer at some point : my personal mapsource has been broken so I haven't used it, er, ever.
Andy,I looked at the top of your readme.txt file that contained the history of changes made to your maps and assumed that was all the file contained.I didn't read through to the end of the file where you do put intallation instructions and explain diference between Munky and Default maps.For a beginer like me it would be much beter to have installation instructions at TOP of readme.txt file,not the bottom.One further point is your instructions,in my opinion,could make the diference betwen the 4 Munky files clearer.It takes a sharp eye to spot Tiles at the end of the file title and the full name only comes up in the download dialogue box.I simply skimmed over that and didn't notice it when I downloaded one of your files.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 03 January, 2011, 12:11:16 pm »
The UNL is presumably something to do with the copy-protection on that proprietary card.
The EULA is presumably just a text or similar of your E.U.L.A.

Neither is needed if a downloaded gmapsupp.img is installed onto a non-proprietary mSD card - provided the file is a good one and you put it in a \Garmin\ folder, it will Just Work.

And to fossil - it might be easier to get Garmin Topo but IMO it is pretty poor value for money, even by Garmin's own low standards.  And (depending on locale) OSM (in a version which includes contours, as I think Andy's does) is probably as good or better.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 03 January, 2011, 07:17:56 pm »
it would be much beter to have installation instructions at TOP of readme.txt file,not the bottom.
Aw crap, I didn't, did I?  That's such a techie thing to do.   :facepalm: 

« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2011, 07:27:47 pm »
WOO HOO  ;D
 Done it  :o

Thanks Andy ,
Can't wait till i get me Rockhoper to try out the mapping

Ade , who is well chuffed   :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:04:09 pm »
Yay, glad you're up and running!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2011, 09:54:53 am »
+1 for thanks to Andy,  January 2011 map is now on my Legend HCx.  It has contours, where it previously didn't.

David

« Reply #16 on: 20 January, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »
probab;y a daft question , but

how do i update the maps when they become avalable ?
is it just a case of deleting the old code then replacing it or is there a cleaver way ?

Ade who is thick , remeber !

« Reply #17 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:22:16 pm »

Please could frankly frankie confirm the only way to remove an unwanted or out of date OSM map from Mapsource is to use the rather terrifying MapSetToolKit? I would like to replace the OSM mapping loaded by an installer with Andy's Munky tile maps.How do I do that?Thought of altering registry entries gives me nightmares.If I could use Andy's tile versions of UK & Ireland map(looks great on Garmin 705,much better than Garmin SD City Europe NT)do tiles come already set up with the TYP file Andy supplies seperately?Is it necessary to run Andy's TYP file as part of MapSetToolKit installation of Andy's tiles?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #18 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:50:58 am »
I don't know of a less terrifying way.
ie, you could use regedit but ...

But I'm installing and uninstalling mapsets all the time (literally several times a week) using MSTK, and haven't actually encountered any problems at all. I agree it's scary though.  On WinXP, this is.

Can't answer the rest as I don't use Andy's maps.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:31:48 am »

is it just a case of deleting the old code then replacing it or is there a cleaver way ?

Ade who is thick , remeber !

If you just copied the file onto the GPS, simply delete it and copy the new one. 

« Reply #20 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:14:08 pm »
thank's

how often do you update ?

Ade

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:17:45 pm »
I'm a bad choice, because I update as a check that each week's version has worked properly.  :)

Hey, real world, how often do you update?

« Reply #22 on: 27 January, 2011, 08:07:05 pm »
I have'nt yet

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #23 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:57:37 am »
Andy,

What's the deal with your OSM maps? I'm probably going to get a cheap GPS (dakota 10?) for minimal expenditure and therefore would like to use OSM; do you coordinate a whole host of bike related OSM updates for the whole UK?! As in 'mine' the information that the technically baffled can't really do for themselves?

The general impression I get is 'use Andy's maps' from the threads here but I wasn't sure if this was more updates based upon your own local area from you adding to OSM or not.

Do I sound confused enough?!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #24 on: 28 January, 2011, 11:02:46 am »
You just need to drop the map in the right folder on the Dakota.
Chief cat entertainer.