Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 226951 times)

Chris S

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #1125 on: 27 November, 2018, 08:51:22 am »
Don’t think I’ll be doing this. I limit myself to one erg a week usually.

There's a new 100,000m record apparently. One to consider for a stormy winter's evening perhaps?  ;)

From what I could tell, the Finnish Freak who got the record rode 1:48 splits for six hours  :o.

« Reply #1126 on: 27 November, 2018, 10:17:55 am »
Signed up for the Concept 2 holiday challenge today.  100,000m between midnight on November 22 and December 24th.

This is my 3rd year at it.
It's much more difficult with a sprained ankle and a chest infection, but at least this morning's effort had my splits at <3 minutes. Which is an improvement on the weekend where I thought I was going to choke with coughing and 2000m took almost 15 minutes.

simonp

« Reply #1127 on: 27 November, 2018, 11:06:29 am »
Don’t think I’ll be doing this. I limit myself to one erg a week usually.

There's a new 100,000m record apparently. One to consider for a stormy winter's evening perhaps?  ;)

From what I could tell, the Finnish Freak who got the record rode 1:48 splits for six hours  :o.

1:48 - I am not much faster than that for 2K.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1128 on: 28 November, 2018, 09:26:16 pm »
24/11 - 8022m
26/11 - 10000m
28/11 - 7714m

Am going to have a go an a hour row on Friday morning, and if that goes well might consider the carrot of 200,000m in the holiday challenge. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1129 on: 09 December, 2018, 05:54:42 pm »
 B_ Lurgy

Thought I was over it.  But aimed for an hour today and gave up after 32 minutes because the power just dropped.  The carrot of 200,000m is now dangled too far out of reach and the stick of 100,000m is catching up fast.  Still 8122m makes 33,858 so am over 1/3 distance.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

simonp

« Reply #1130 on: 09 December, 2018, 06:21:56 pm »
Brutal challenge really at this time of year. December is a quiet month at the rowing club. I’m using the break to push on with my cycling and strength work.

« Reply #1131 on: 11 December, 2018, 03:49:48 pm »
It shouldn't be brutal- you have to do less than 3500m a day.
It's every day that's the killer.
I've missed the last couple of days as well as a few early (lurgied, injured) ones and now need almost 5,000 a day. It'll be tough.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1132 on: 14 December, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »
I probably go the gym 3 times a week on average, but row 10,000 m every time I'm there. I'm up to 83,000 in the challenge, so the end is in sight, but I'd like to reach 100,000 before the $45,000 donation limit is reached, so a massive $2 goes to my selected charity.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1133 on: 14 December, 2018, 08:15:50 pm »
Anyone want a tunturi r710 rowing machine?  Collection N22 in London?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1134 on: 15 December, 2018, 05:39:53 pm »
May not make the 100,000.  Work got in the way this week.  But I did manage the hour today.  15142m.  Happy.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1135 on: 17 December, 2018, 10:27:42 pm »
100,000 challenge completed today. Just over 101,000 in fact, so that's $2.04 to World Bicycle relief.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

simonp

« Reply #1136 on: 07 January, 2019, 08:59:50 pm »
Brutal weights session tonight. Endurance => 2x50 reps. Owww. Fuck 50 sit ups in particular.

simonp

« Reply #1137 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:15:31 am »
After that weights session I failed to complete the 3x3000m:5r erg two days later.

Had another go this week - got through it but thought I was going to need a bucket with about 250m to go. Made it and didn't vomit.

This is preparation for a 5k test next week.

:sick:

Also we have a 5k private head race tomorrow, we're off first, followed by intermediate men's 8 and then senior women's 8. So no pressure!

simonp

« Reply #1138 on: 19 January, 2019, 02:23:42 pm »
Always nice to be in the fastest boat in the club.  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1139 on: 26 January, 2019, 06:08:51 pm »
So today I was out in a single second session. Not been out in one in more than a month; it showed.

I needn't have worried, though. It was the pair that went in and had to be rescued.  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1140 on: 02 February, 2019, 03:41:26 pm »
I did a 5K on the 24th 19:36.9.

Did another one this morning before breakfast; 19:34.3. Better paced but still felt horrible for most of it.

That is a 4.5 year PB so fairly pleased - still some way short of my best effort from 2011, though.

« Reply #1141 on: 29 March, 2019, 03:22:02 pm »
I've snuck out in the single a few times in the last fortnight and it's *amazing* to be back on the water :D

A long way off being race fit, but loving loving loving being out.  Probably fall in next time.

simonp

« Reply #1142 on: 29 March, 2019, 07:19:51 pm »
I've snuck out in the single a few times in the last fortnight and it's *amazing* to be back on the water :D

A long way off being race fit, but loving loving loving being out.  Probably fall in next time.

Nice. I’ve been slowly improving. Little time to get in the single sight the focus having been on the 8. Stepped back now to concentrate on PBP. I was asked to sub into a 4+ on Monday but declined due to having done a hilly 200 on Saturday and being knackered. Correct decision - I’d have had a miserable time.

Once PBP qualifiers are out the way I’ll try to get out in small boats - I’ve enjoyed the few outings in the pair more than the single but maybe should try to make progress as the skills are transferable.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1143 on: 10 June, 2019, 11:31:15 am »
It's been an expensive couple of weeks; a new (to us) car, but more excitingly for me, a Fluidesign scull from an ex-GB lightweight. It will never go so fast again in my hands :-[  but I will have fun trying.  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1144 on: 10 June, 2019, 11:35:18 am »
It's been an expensive couple of weeks; a new (to us) car, but more excitingly for me, a Fluidesign scull from an ex-GB lightweight. It will never go so fast again in my hands :-[  but I will have fun trying.  :thumbsup:

Nice.  :thumbsup:

I got back on the water after a break since March, on Saturday. Straight in with racing starts, in tricky conditions. Could have gone worse.

I hope to race a couple of regional regattas over the summer.

simonp

« Reply #1145 on: 28 July, 2019, 07:49:51 pm »
Well I was at Llandaff, in less experienced crews, two of which I'd never rowed in before race day. The sprint crew on Sunday was decent, and made the final due to the opposition crashing and had a close loss in the final. The Saturday crews need to do a lot of work to be competitive.

This weekend I raced in a more familiar lineup, with a new stroke guy. We've had less than two weeks to prepare, and had a big technical focus. It paid off - we made the final yesterday, winning two rounds to get there. Blew it a little in the final, with a poor start.

Came back today, and won a semi and final to win the pot. Nailed the start both times and held them off in both races - much faster splits than yesterday. Now I have to step back again until after PBP. Great to get a final and a pot despite having spent limited time on the water this summer.

« Reply #1146 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:17:04 am »

ooh, I'd missed this!  How are you finding the fluid?  I was dissuaded from buying one because I was told they feel a bit soft, but others have said they're much more forgiving as a result and they seem to win a lot of races...

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1147 on: 31 July, 2019, 11:46:33 am »

ooh, I'd missed this!  How are you finding the fluid?  I was dissuaded from buying one because I was told they feel a bit soft, but others have said they're much more forgiving as a result and they seem to win a lot of races...

The only bits that feel soft are the fore & aft hulls and canvasses (single skin carbon), but they are supposed to be, and owners talk of hitting things and it springing back with a pop with no damage; some Lolas and Aylings were built like this too. The centre section is as stiff as you like, and with the big bow wing rigger it tends to sound like sculling a tin can if finishes / feathering is harsh. Took a while to get used to no backstays in front of me. In a club Swift I would usually take 35 mins to get to a usual turning point on our river (at the meeting with the Lark), but two days ago I was turned and well over 1km back up river in the same time.  :o  ;D  Need to carry on to Littleport now before turning... Having a boat that I can rig for me makes a huge difference too.  Loving it.  :thumbsup:

The boat has race history (I need to see if it won medals somewhere; it's owner was a double World Champion & Olympic silver medalist in LWT 4-) and went to Rio as the spare man's boat. Would be nice to document that.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1148 on: 08 October, 2019, 07:52:59 pm »
Summer involved home improvements, so our garage cum gym was filled with clutter that normally occupied the various cupboards shelves and other dust traps of our house, added to which were various bits of decorating debris.  Any remaining space was occupied by bicycles.

Work almost over, except for the never-ending kitchen-floor saga, so after two heavily loaded Volvo estate car trips to the tip and some reorganisation have rescued the Concept II from said debris and surplus possessions, and also the weights and balance balls.  So kicked off winter training with just over 2500m in 10 minutes then some relatively lightweight deadlifts and squats.

Hopefully another session on Thursday

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1149 on: 29 December, 2019, 09:42:25 pm »
Having taken up piano playing more seriously, I've found that my posture at the keyboard can give me problems - trying to read music and play notes whilst seated in a relatively fixed position (if I move about like i did when I was young it mucks up the focus on the varifocals).  But the remedy is cross-training on the Concept II, as the final part of the stroke pulls the shoulderblades towards each other and stretches the bit that gets out of place around the C5 vertebrae.  With this lucky coincidence I'm prescribing myself 3 x 5000m rows a week and see how that works.

I'm also hoping that helps to keep the leg strength high whilst trying to lose the lard around my middle that has crept up in volume and weight over the last two years to a point where the hills all seem a lot steeper than they used to be.