General Category > On The Road

Central Mordor Brompton Hire - Coming Soon

(1/1)

rafletcher:
Did a search and didn't find it (no surprise there with my search skills!) but last week I happened to be in Central Mordor (albeit through the pleasant portal of Moor Street station) and there, in the pedestrian area of New Street, close to where the new tram tracks emerge from Mordor Central (Stepehenson Street maybe?, I espied a couple of large black steel boxes - with the legend "Brompton Hire - Coming Soon" emblazoned on them.

Basil:
Yes, I believe so.
Which is my total sum knowledge of the matter.  :-[

Kim:
There's already a fully armed and operational Brompton Dock outside Moor Street station, http://www.bromptonbikehire.com/our-docks/birmingham/ refers.

Hire rates are quite reasonable, at £1 to register and £5 per 24 hours (or £20/£2.50 for a frequent-use rate).  The bikes aren't bad either - M3Ls in Brompton speak (riser bars, 3-speed hub, mudguards).  Birmingham's are a lovely shade of purple, and fitted with dynamo lighting and Brompton front luggage blocks (though interestingly not rear luggage racks, which I'd have thought would be more useful to non-Brompton-owners).

The main issue is that they're only really useful to visitors coming into Birmingham, or people willing to make a dedicated trip to acquire a bike for a few days' use.  Not the same short-journey-between-docks use case as a traditional hire scheme.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version