Author Topic: My LBS has just closed down  (Read 19605 times)

Re: My LBS has just closed down
« Reply #50 on: 09 September, 2018, 10:47:25 am »
So you end up with mail order sheds, Halfords and small shops catering to the lower end of the market.

I think it's always been like that.

For high end stuff, you had to go to a "lightweight" shop and they were always a minority and even then they dealt with a lot of low end stuff.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #51 on: 10 September, 2018, 07:26:58 am »
we have one remaining LBS in Ely, which does pretty well as far as I can see.

Even in Cambridge however they can struggle with one turning into this http://www.oldbicycleshop.com/. At least they serve some decent beer
I assume you mean City Cycle Centre, but isn't Jerry Turner still running the excellent JT Cycles at Chettisham Garage?

Yes, I've never been in JT Cycles, he sponsors the local club jerseys as well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #52 on: 10 September, 2018, 03:11:22 pm »
Redundancies at Rapha. Over on road.cc...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #53 on: 10 September, 2018, 04:32:30 pm »
https://news.sky.com/story/bike-retailer-evans-cycles-in-talks-with-lenders-as-chain-struggles-11492689[/font]

Evans in trouble.[/font]

They have only just opened a new store local to me. I used to have to go all the way to Chelmsford for click and collect, there's now one half way home on my commute*. I called in the other day and scrounged** some chain lube as mine had washed off in the rain on the way to work and I could no longer cope with the squeak coming from my chain - even for the last seven miles.

I did want to pick up a traditional puncture kit with glue and patches but I got odd looks when I asked the assistant***. Why they would want to stock something like that?

* It's in Martlesham, north east of Ipswich near the big Tesco
** I had bought some hub spanners on their click and collect so it wasn't my only reason for going there.
*** This was shortly after he congratulated me for combining SPD shoes with a road bike - something he apparently gets ridiculed for by his colleagues.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #54 on: 10 September, 2018, 04:55:20 pm »
In Haverhill the (very efficient) LBS is in a corner of the  TV and radio shop.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #55 on: 11 September, 2018, 05:19:28 pm »
AW Cycles in Merton High Street is about to close down. Boo hiss.

That is sad, used to go past it all the time when I commuted that way. Never had reason to use it as Bright cycles was my closest in Raynes Park for all the little bits and bobs I needed.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #56 on: 11 September, 2018, 05:21:37 pm »
We are fairly lucky in K-Town. Down the road is one of the two branches of Bright Cycles (the other was in Raynes Park where we previously lived), Kingston has Neil's Wheels, Evan's and Sigma and across the park is the newer of the Pearson's. Just on the other side of Kingston is Surbiton Cycles which does some excellt Frog bikes for the boy.
And there's Waldens just on the corner of Cambridge Road and the A308.
And also Road Cycle Exchange on Richmond Road. Second hand road bikes sales, exchange and a workshop.

Walden's is the one with the tiny wheel triangle bike in its one functional window, correct? I have never visited the Exchange, too much bling for my body weight!

« Reply #57 on: 11 September, 2018, 09:07:23 pm »
AW Cycles in Merton High Street is about to close down. Boo hiss.

That is sad, used to go past it all the time when I commuted that way. Never had reason to use it as Bright cycles was my closest in Raynes Park for all the little bits and bobs I needed.
I've been in there a few times and have always got precisely what I went in there for, whether that was a bulk purchase of gear inners, or a new clamp for a front mech. Lovely chaps that run it, they've simply run out of years and want to retire. I'll keep an eye out if they are holding a close down sale and will post on here.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #58 on: 11 September, 2018, 09:08:28 pm »
We are fairly lucky in K-Town. Down the road is one of the two branches of Bright Cycles (the other was in Raynes Park where we previously lived), Kingston has Neil's Wheels, Evan's and Sigma and across the park is the newer of the Pearson's. Just on the other side of Kingston is Surbiton Cycles which does some excellt Frog bikes for the boy.
And there's Waldens just on the corner of Cambridge Road and the A308.
And also Road Cycle Exchange on Richmond Road. Second hand road bikes sales, exchange and a workshop.

Walden's is the one with the tiny wheel triangle bike in its one functional window, correct? I have never visited the Exchange, too much bling for my body weight!
Could be. I haven't looked in their window for a while now. It's the place on the left as you turn the corner heading for Kingston having come from New Malden.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #59 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:49:15 pm »
What Evans do which the pure internet retailers cannot is click and collect. Find something on their website, get it delivered to your nearest Evans, and pay on collection. Of course part of the reason this is an advantage is due to their weakness, ie they often send something slightly different to what you actually ordered, sometimes because it was misdescribed on the website. But it does mean you get to see it first and you get the webby price. I bought a Tortec rack for £20 recently. It was the same price at Tredz and SJS, but SJS charge for postage. Evans had the edge over Tredz because of click and collect. But if I didn't have an Evans 15 minutes walk away, it probably wouldn't be an advantage for me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #60 on: 20 September, 2018, 02:57:27 pm »
One of Bristol's longest established and best known bike shops, Fred Baker's, closed down this summer. Established 1935, now on the third generation of family ownership, but it's a couple of decades since they justified their slogan "Bristol's best bike shop." In fact, even though I live less than a mile away, I didn't notice they'd closed for a couple of months. I gave up on them about five years ago, when I went in wanting a 700 x 35 tube and they didn't have any. "Most of our customers are roadies, so we mostly stock narrower tubes," apologised the bloke – while standing in front of a display of hybrids. "We'll be getting a delivery on Thursday," he continued. Great! but today was Monday. If I'd been asking about an unusual item, waiting four days would be no problem at all, rather quick actually, but for a common item of immediate necessity, it's crap.

Technically however they haven't closed, just "consolidated" with a smaller place near the main station that mainly concentrates on commuter repairs, as far as I can tell. In fact, the family ownership was part of the problem, from what I've been told; the original Fred and his son were keen on the bike shop as a bike shop but for the grandson who inherited it, it might as well have been shelves of beans.

In contrast, this morning for reasons I had some spare time and wandered into another LBS, smaller (in floor space at least) and established around 1990. This one has bikes on the ground floor with a cafe upstairs (not just in the current trendy fashion, it was set up that way). They manage the cafe-bike shop overlap with eg bike-focussed art on the walls for sale, and in fact although I wasn't looking for anything, I ended up buying a t-shirt. Not a jersey. And not even for myself. And will probably be perceived by its recipient as something other than a "cycling t-shirt." Of course they have lots of bikes there too. A range from Bromptons to TT bikes. And IMO stock is a factor – it's because this particular LBS had one in stock when I was looking for something touringish a couple of years ago, that I ended up with a Specialized Sequoia rather than a Trucker or Tour de Fer or various other options which other shops could only talk about.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #61 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:17:10 pm »
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #62 on: 21 September, 2018, 11:45:28 am »
yep, read as much on the beeb yesterday, seems a very cut-throat industry, lowest common denominator for supply of bits with the value being in the "hands on"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #63 on: 21 September, 2018, 03:00:28 pm »
53-12 in Colchester is going as well. It's a triathlon shop but always found hugely helpful and due to moving work has been my lbs for last year. Site is becoming houses and owner has decided not to relocate

« Reply #64 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:09:54 pm »
Fred Williams in Wolverhampton still seems to be open (at least it was when I went by this afternoon!). It looks to be an old-skool high street family-run bike shop, albeit one that seemingly doesn't rely on bargain-basement kit; there was a swanky limited edition Brompton in the window. I think they cater to some of the local clubs, which may help.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #65 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:39:55 pm »
One of Bristol's longest established and best known bike shops, Fred Baker's, closed down this summer. Established 1935, now on the third generation of family ownership, but it's a couple of decades since they justified their slogan "Bristol's best bike shop." In fact, even though I live less than a mile away, I didn't notice they'd closed for a couple of months. I gave up on them about five years ago, when I went in wanting a 700 x 35 tube and they didn't have any. "Most of our customers are roadies, so we mostly stock narrower tubes," apologised the bloke – while standing in front of a display of hybrids. "We'll be getting a delivery on Thursday," he continued. Great! but today was Monday. If I'd been asking about an unusual item, waiting four days would be no problem at all, rather quick actually, but for a common item of immediate necessity, it's crap.

Technically however they haven't closed, just "consolidated" with a smaller place near the main station that mainly concentrates on commuter repairs, as far as I can tell. In fact, the family ownership was part of the problem, from what I've been told; the original Fred and his son were keen on the bike shop as a bike shop but for the grandson who inherited it, it might as well have been shelves of beans.

In contrast, this morning for reasons I had some spare time and wandered into another LBS, smaller (in floor space at least) and established around 1990. This one has bikes on the ground floor with a cafe upstairs (not just in the current trendy fashion, it was set up that way). They manage the cafe-bike shop overlap with eg bike-focussed art on the walls for sale, and in fact although I wasn't looking for anything, I ended up buying a t-shirt. Not a jersey. And not even for myself. And will probably be perceived by its recipient as something other than a "cycling t-shirt." Of course they have lots of bikes there too. A range from Bromptons to TT bikes. And IMO stock is a factor – it's because this particular LBS had one in stock when I was looking for something touringish a couple of years ago, that I ended up with a Specialized Sequoia rather than a Trucker or Tour de Fer or various other options which other shops could only talk about.

It’s fun looking at the Bromptons in there.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #66 on: 22 September, 2018, 08:47:33 am »

It’s fun looking at the Bromptons in there.
They even have a demonstrator Brompton. It's red with grey bits.

« Reply #67 on: 30 November, 2018, 12:30:37 am »
Mercian are closing shop, though the core business of building and renovating frames and bikes will continue from the shed workshop.
https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/2018/11/a-new-beginning/?fbclid=IwAR2ICUafCrRWAsl4KLVJUrJx7VKtWX50shFWZf1uWQh3iK-AuBTLbUx-2PY

« Reply #68 on: 30 November, 2018, 06:34:13 am »
This is funny. only in its timing as was discussing with one of the guys at work yesterday that there are people willing to pay for craftsmanship even if they're not for most products.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #69 on: 30 November, 2018, 11:17:59 am »
Bugger.

Between ‘94 and ‘98 I was studying for my degree (Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6pm to 9pm).

My journey back took me past the shop. In those days they left the lights on in the windows and they didn’t have the steel shutters, so I could stop and press my nose against them and dream.

I completely understand the move, but I’m properly saddened by this.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #70 on: 01 December, 2018, 04:27:57 pm »
Not surprised to be honest.  They've got quite a large showroom, but not much actually in it, so it makes sense to focus on their core business.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #71 on: 05 December, 2018, 04:18:22 pm »
And another. Really helpful small unit that sells a few bits near my work is finishing at New year's. Usual can't compete with internet prices and you tube showing people have to fix their own. He told me another mobile guy has also packed up. There are a few others near me but not accessible in an lunch hour

« Reply #72 on: 05 December, 2018, 07:28:49 pm »
long established shop in Walsall Wood closing

https://www.davescycles.co.uk

One I used for many times, a lot of stock and bike mechanics who were good. However I stopped using them when I found cheaper through wiggle and that is the story really ...

« Reply #73 on: 05 December, 2018, 07:32:04 pm »
and on Evans Mike Ashley was in front go the house and said this

https://cyclingindustry.news/tax-retailers-doing-more-than-20-business-online-says-new-evans-cycles-boss/

in many ways, I know he is an hard person to agree with, that he is right here if you care about the generic 'high street'.

of course at a mechanic level a lot of people can now do things for themselves (including me) thanks to youtube !!

« Reply #74 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:00:52 am »
There seems to be a lot of stress on LBS viability. I’ve heard of a couple more either closing or being on the edge.
I suspect that the Evans situation is having a wider impact. I understand that it was bought as a “ pre-pack” - in other words with the liabilities written off. At least one major distributor has lost a very big sum of money due to this I’m told, and this means that LBSs are being very actively chased for any outstanding invoices, and credit terms are being reviewed.
It’s bad news all round I’m afraid.