Author Topic: Chromebook Screen Fault  (Read 1183 times)

Chromebook Screen Fault
« on: 04 May, 2019, 10:10:38 am »
Anyone got an idea what's going on here.
The screen on my wife's chromebook locks up and fades to B+W (background video/ads still play). Mouse pad and keys become unresponsive, although it will power off while this happens.
You can see in the video at around 30 seconds, how it starts to fade from the left side of the screen
It's an Acer 14", and is 9 months old. If I can resolve the problem myself, I'd rather do that, or it's going back.
Cheers
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNZmS425jqX1P0UlVFnqJ7Ih4jJfTz_YN2Jlj4n

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: Chromebook Screen Fault
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2019, 01:34:08 pm »
Is it worth trying a powerwash on it?

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2019, 02:13:32 pm »
Just tried the powerwash, problem started within 5 minutes of logging back in  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2019, 11:07:50 pm »
Can't see the video (it 404s), but does it happen if you log in as someone else?  Doesn't sound like a hardware fault...

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2019, 08:15:55 am »
Screen shot from the video.
Although I have posted this on some Google/Chromebook support site, and an "expert" reckons it's a hardware fault. Probably be taking it back to Currys
Thanks all  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2019, 07:30:17 pm »
Thatt looks a lot like when an active matrix display loses its connection to the graphics chip. So yeah, very likely hardware.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2019, 08:03:29 pm »
Thatt looks a lot like when an active matrix display loses its connection to the graphics chip. So yeah, very likely hardware.

Agreed.  Not what I was imagining at all.