Author Topic: Kempe's Engineer's Year Book  (Read 2657 times)

Kempe's Engineer's Year Book
« on: 22 May, 2008, 06:49:25 pm »
Hello Forum Engineers

Is this title still in use or publication? The last ref I can find on the www is for 2002. Do you use it much? is it well regarded?

It was always around the office when I worked in the metals industry, but I don't recall anyone using it. Indeed, when I quoted its definition of a particular heat treatment process, one of the metallurgists swore and said, "that's a load of *&@!$. You'd be better asking Mario Kempes, the Argentinian footballer, especially as you're a first-rate linguist". I thought this was rather witty: both the pun and the combination of put-down and compliment.

Re: Kempe's Engineer's Year Book
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:13:01 pm »
Ten years ago I used to find it a useful publication but I think that the problem with Kempe's is that nowadays you can find almost anything you want on the WWW (apart from Kempe's that is).

I still have a 1950-51 copy in the office for the purpose of winding people up.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:51:20 pm »
I think my copy is a 2002 or 03. It's in the office and I'm at home, so I'm guessing. Actually referred one of my junior engineers to it today, to try and guide her through her first attempt at pipeline pressure drop calcs. It rarely gives you the answer to a question, but it's a good thing to browse when you're looking for ideas or paths to follow. Any vintage will do that job fine, so secondhand ones are OK if you can find them.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2008, 10:33:36 pm »
Not sure, is the truthful answer.
My 1972 copy makes way too many references to boiler-making and the like to be relevant to today's engineering.
Having said which, I know there is stuff in there which is still totally relevant.

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2008, 12:47:45 am »
I've never actually owned one of these, but I've used lots!  eBay here I come!  ;D
What's this bottom line for anyway?