Author Topic: Does any travel insurance cover for fuel shortages?  (Read 2047 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Does any travel insurance cover for fuel shortages?
« on: 23 May, 2008, 09:08:53 am »
In July we are going on holiday to Suffolk by car.  If fuel protests and panic buying kick off again, will anyone provide cover for cancellation? 

Otherwise it's about £800 down the pan, and public transport isn't really an option because of the enormous cost of train fares for a family, a lot of luggage (the kids can't carry their own) and the nearest railway station being some miles away.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Does any travel insurance cover for fuel shortages?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:13:04 am »
I doubt it, I missed a flight due to traffic jams and had no claim since I was travelling by car, had I used a bus I would have been able to claim.

EDIT Meant to say that my insurance, on reading the policy, only covered for public transport delays

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:21:28 am »
That's force majeure, the universal get-out clause.  Do you expect there to be a fuel crisis in July?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:32:50 am »
The tabloid press seem to be whipping people up into a frenzy.  Refinery blockades are now illegal, I believe, but I can't see the Government sending in the heavy mob to clear them - they're totally impotent in the face of anything like that.  Last time the real problem was that the tanker drivers refused to cross the picket lines, citing safety concerns.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2008, 10:38:08 am »
The tabloid press seem to be whipping people up into a frenzy. ...

I wondered why there was a queue off of the forecourt and tailing back blocking the road this morning.  I just thought that people were desperate to spend their money.