Author Topic: Alcester/Studley, Warwickshire  (Read 3557 times)

Alcester/Studley, Warwickshire
« on: 27 May, 2008, 11:58:51 am »
So, the Kent option proved too much of an unknown and was too far from family & friends in the West Midlands.

Looking around, Studley and Alcester in Warwickshire fall into my (now extended) budget. In fact, I found several properties that will accommodate our largish family. I'll take a look over the next week or so when I'm over.

My suspicions are somewhat aroused by the prices there. Are there parts of these small towns that are no-go areas? I can't imagine what issues there might be, but I've never lived in the sticks before. Looking on Google Earth, there is some great cycling countryside in the vicinity.

BTW, I assume it's pronounced "'All-ster" and not "'Al-sest-er"?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Alcester/Studley, Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:03:56 pm »
I live 25 miles west of Alcester, pronounced Al-ster, and don't know of any problem areas.  It's not what I would think of as living in the sticks, just a nice market town, but I suppose it's what you are used to.

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2008, 01:49:56 pm »
Compared to SE Birmingham, Alcester is the back end of nowhere :-)

Lack of a train service is a down side, but I can live with that.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2008, 07:50:11 pm »
Is Wootton Wawen railway station still open ? 

....that maybe 7 miles or so away from Alcester from what I recall.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:09:13 pm »
I don't live anywhere near :) but I've cycled through and around Alcester many a time.  It strikes me as a very nice little town with lovely scenery nearby.  Cheap because it's not in the SE, I guess.

richie_b

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:30:09 pm »
Lots & lots of friends who grew up there
Really, really pretty little town.
No really bad areas.
Gorgeous countryside around.
Nothing for young people to do.
Significant heroin issue amongst the youth.
I'm 34 & 4 of the peer group of my friends are now dead, compared to one in my peer group (all four drug related for them, none for me).
This might be why prices are cheap....
Oh & you need a car!

« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2008, 01:50:07 pm »
The kids are 8, 5 & 2, so hopefully crack/heroin addiction is a while away. Something to consider later though.

The schools in Studley sound great - according to the Ofsted reports. Bit closer to Solihull than Alcester too. And there's (was?) a Little Pub Company pub there. The Little Lark or something like that...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2008, 07:23:43 pm »
Lots & lots of friends who grew up there
Really, really pretty little town.
No really bad areas.
Gorgeous countryside around.
Nothing for young people to do.
Significant heroin issue amongst the youth.
I'm 34 & 4 of the peer group of my friends are now dead, compared to one in my peer group (all four drug related for them, none for me).
This might be why prices are cheap....
Oh & you need a car!

I'm in Stratford and cycle in and around the area a lot (indeed today, in the rather wet conditions)

Much of the post above is sadly true - Alcester had a big local authority housing development post-war - presumably to help Birmingham's bombed out areas ...

Public transport is by bus only and really limited to getting to Studley/Redditch, Brum or Stratford.  Wotton Wawen station mentioned is open but not really a proposition - it's on the Stratford - Brum line (it's a "request" stop and no trains stop there on Sundays.

All that said, people who live in the "nice parts" rave about the place being great.

Studley (although in Warwickshire and Stratford District Council) is really now a suburb of Redditch (although the locals may disagree) - similar profile to Alcester.

.... BUT the cycling is FANTASTIC !

Rob

« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2008, 09:22:06 pm »
I think you need to see for yourself. We used to live in the SE corner of Coventry - and it was fine. Other parts are not so good. No substitute to spening time and exploring the area. We rented for 6 months near where we live now to do just that.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)