Author Topic: Sound deadening  (Read 2023 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Sound deadening
« on: 27 May, 2008, 07:53:14 pm »
Basically one of my rooms has a very thin wall between us and the neighbour, as it's my edit room, there is usually loud audio in there, and I can hear him on the phone. The builders have no written record of me stating that I wanted it soundproof/deadened even though they verbally agreed to it on the phone, I guess there's no proof. It's airbourne audio only so not impact/vibration tramission.

So what's the best way to block the sound from going through?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

vince

Re: Sound deadening
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2008, 07:56:15 pm »
I think the student answer is eggboxes. The police have some sort of acoustic fabric on the walls of the interview rooms, which seems to work well as long as the screams are within reason.

vince

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2008, 08:01:29 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2008, 08:09:34 pm »
Rock wool infill, second plasterboard skin, vibrational isolation, fill any holes.

Whats the floor / ceiling made of?
Stropping rocks

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:41:13 pm »
Second vote for rockwool.

Used it round a soil stack to get rid of the sound of ...err.... things.... going down it. (soil stack goes down inside the kitchen wall  :sick:)

Worked pretty well.

richie_b

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:33:27 pm »
Acoustics textbooks would tell you that acoustic absorbency would work best (egg boxes aren't sure if they're helping this or trying to be anechoic).  So lots of rugs, sofas, people & other soft things...  Double the absorbency & halve the perceived noise IIRC...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:50:32 pm »
Cheers dude will look into it. Not sure what the floors are, tis an old converted warehouse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2008, 12:08:32 am »
How big is the room?

We have used a couple of the consulting rooms (used to be a DRs surgery) as offices. The walls are stud, but not normal; they are staggered stud walls. I only hear Mrs J on the phone if her office door is open. (Mine is always open).
It is simpler than it looks.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2008, 12:27:13 am »
The wall in question is 3m x 3m

Support Equilibrium