Author Topic: Fix ply panel to block wall without removing it.  (Read 1306 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Fix ply panel to block wall without removing it.
« on: 12 June, 2008, 10:33:49 pm »
OK - here is the problem

Plywood laminate shower panel fixed to wall with no more nails. Glue has come away from the wall at the top, so the panel is loose. Cant remove panel, cos it is fixed to lots of other things.

I need to put a fixing through it into the block wall. The only thing I can think of is a hammer in type frame fixing. I don't want the head to be too big, becaused I need to find a way of hiding it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Re: Fix ply panel to block wall without removing it.
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2008, 08:30:50 am »
How thick is the panel? Easiest way to fix - if it's easy to push panel back into position without too much force - would be to use a countersunk head screw and standard rawlplug.  But hiding any drilling in laminate isn't going to be easy - so what about using mirrow screws, the type that take a screw in chrome dome to hide the screw head?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2008, 05:52:12 pm »
You need a plug cutter and an off cut of the same colour laminate

It cuts a plug of the same material, you then drill a hole with a nice deep counter sink, then you put the fixing in, then you put the plug of timber in to cover it, hopefully the grain pattern will be a close-ish match

How thick is the laminate? as you need a bit of depth to work with if using this method.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2008, 06:06:41 pm »
Glue has come away from the wall at the top, so the panel is loose. Cant remove panel, cos it is fixed to lots of other things.

Can you drill a small hole and inject more NMN then plug the hole with a small grommet?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2008, 08:45:13 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have decided there will be a cornice between the ceiling and the panel - this will hide the screws at the top. At the bottom, the screws will be hidden by the shower tray (not yet fitted).

I may even get a couple of screws trhough the shower cubicle side extrusion.

Cheers.