Author Topic: Sony Ericsson K850i query  (Read 1905 times)

Sony Ericsson K850i query
« on: 16 June, 2008, 09:48:06 pm »
Hi all

Do any of you have this phone? I'm interested in how well it synchronises, or otherwise, with Outlook.

I need a phone that can synchronise properly: that is, Computer1<>Phone<>Computer2.

One of the computers is W2000 which I suspect rules out this phone.

It's difficult to find any phones that do this properly other than those with Windoze Mobile. Any suggestions?

Re: Sony Ericsson K850i query
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:15:56 am »
I've got a K750i that does the job (almost) perfectly.  Many colleagues have 850s (me no likey the bigger screen and resultant slightly off-balance weight for one-hand use)

The 'almost' relates to addresses.  I've given up trying to even consider synching address books with mobiles.

Actually, now I think about it, its only the calendar that I synchronise.  But thats fine.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:18:38 am »
What about the Blackberry range ?

My 8310 syncronises perfectly.

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2008, 03:55:56 pm »
Thanks Mr Magnolia.

What about the Blackberry range ?

My 8310 syncronises perfectly.

Well, I don't need (or want) work emails. I do need to be able to synchronize calendar and contacts between work and home computers, simple as that, proper two way sync. It seems none of the non-Windows phones are even remotely close to being able to do this in a reliable way, going by a quick Google of "Nokia K750i and Outlook" etc. Hopeless.

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:13:34 pm »
K800i here and it Synchs perfectly with Outlook Calendar, Contacts, Tasks & Notes (no Mail synch as far as I can tell),  in a minute or less.

I bought it for the superb camera though

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2008, 06:12:18 pm »
Can you use it to sync your work and home computers?
Can it handle recurring appointments and exceptions to the recurrences?

(Even if it does, I don't think it works with anything older than xp)

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2008, 06:55:31 pm »
No one is going to guarantee anything with Win2000 any more as it s completely unsupported even by Microsoft.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:57:48 pm »
Oh - must mention that to IT at work  ;D

Mind you I am fairly sure Outlook etc is more recent than the OS.

I quite like Win 2000 - never have any trouble with it.

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:21:18 pm »
I'm not sure if you can get away with installing software on your work computer, but if you can it's worth looking at FJ Software Development and the myphoneexplorer app - it's got a slightly clunky interface, but was syncing happily with two computers and my google calender, and I think it plays nicely with Outlook as well. It's definitely much nicer, and more useful, than the supplied phone software.

« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2008, 02:32:54 pm »
Thanks Marna, looks useful.

I've been looking at Google Calendar's sync utility to see if I can get away with a non-WM phone and just sync to one of the two computers rather than both. I'd like to go back to a normal size phone rather than a PDA type device.

vince

« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:54:30 pm »
I have a Nokia E51 that seems to happily synchronise Outlook with the phone for contact telephone numbers, appointments, to-do lists, etc. The annoying thing is that I can't get a cradle for it so although it happily updates using a USB cable, Bluetooth or infra-red, the battery won't stay topped up. It would be helpful to be able to be able to update it remotely too, but I don't know how to do this, or if it's possible. I can get into trouble with my secretary if I book a client in to see me at court and she has already booked the time out for me since I left the office. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

The battery is a bit lightweight though.