Author Topic: Bikehike reports fewer trackpoints than actually in uploaded gpx file  (Read 1188 times)

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
I have three .gpx files which MapSource (and Find/Count in Notepad++) says have more than 500 trackpoints.  I've loaded each into Bikehike with the intention of reducing them to less than 500 trackpoints.  Unfortunately Bikehike's options dialog reports them as having less than 500 trackpoints.

All three files were cut (in MapSource) from my tracklog of the Dean 300.  Each consists of several hundred trkpt elements within a single trkseg element, within a single trk element.  There is nothing strange about the nth trkpt, where n is the number of trackpoints reported by Bikehike.  I've tried editing one of the files to remove the metadata/bounds element (with its maxlon, maxlat, minlon, and minlat attributes) and reloading; this makes no difference.

Does anybody have any idea what may be going wrong?  I've used Bikehike to do this several times in the past, but not recently.

(Sigh, I wanted to get this finished before starting work for the day).
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Re: Bikehike reports fewer trackpoints than actually in uploaded gpx file
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2013, 09:03:48 am »
Given a GPX with over 1000 points, I import it into Microsoft Autoroute 2011.
It can be chopped. Strange looking Waypoints can be deleted. Waypoints can be moved. In fact, the Waypoints can be moved to make a completely different GPX.

« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2013, 09:10:06 am »
David, I cannot answer your specific question, but why not reduce the number of trackpoints in Mapsource?  Unfortunately Mapsource will generally reduce to a little less than you request.  You can allow for that in the number you specify, though I've never found the extra reduction renders the track any less readable.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2013, 09:44:56 am »
^^ +1
if there are only a few extra points (say 510) then it's also dead easy in Mapsource to just manually delete a few points.  Takes about as many seconds as there are extra points.  You need to have the 'Track Edit' toolbar enabled, which it isn't by default, I'm sure some people don't even know it exists. 
View/Show Toolbars/Track Edit.
This makes it easy to draw, split, join tracks, and erase individual points.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2013, 08:27:06 am »
Thanks very much for all the replies;  it's sorted out now.

phil d: I can't find any trackpoint reduction feature in my copy of MapSource.  Help/About MapSource.../Product Info reports "Trip and Waypoint Manager v5", so it's the cut-down version provided with Etrex units which frankly often refers to.

frankly: I followed your suggestion.  Displayed the Track Properties window, checked the "Center map on selected item(s)" box, traversed the track and deleted every other trackpoint on straight sections.  The tracks had ~650 trackpoints at most, and when processing tracklogs I do this traversal/deletion anyway in order to remove navigational errors I made on the ride.  It didn't take long at all and was easy on my workplace dual-monitor setup where Track Properties was displayed on the smaller monitor and the map on the larger 24-inch screen.

Unless I've missed the feature in my version of MapSource (it may not be named well), then I still don't know of an application/website which offers automatic trackpoint reduction other than Bikehike.  Are there any?
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2013, 08:31:35 am »
Thanks very much for all the replies;  it's sorted out now.

I can't find any trackpoint reduction feature in my copy of MapSource.  Help/About MapSource.../Product Info reports "Trip and Waypoint Manager v5", so it's the cut-down version provided with Etrex units which frankly often refers to.

I think that's the version I have (can't check just now as it's on the PC at home, but it's what came with my eTrex).  Right click on the track in the track list box to get another box that includes the option to reduce trackpoints, where you can specify a target.  As mentioned above it normally over-reduces a bit.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2013, 11:48:50 am »
Unless I've missed the feature in my version of MapSource (it may not be named well), then I still don't know of an application/website which offers automatic trackpoint reduction other than Bikehike.  Are there any?
In MapSource, open the Track Properties window, then there is a button on the bottom right for "Filter". That will let you choose how many points to reduce by.

For other software, you could use Garmin BaseCamp (select a track, then edit menu -> advanced -> filter).
Or you could use GPSBabel, with the 'simplify' filter, just set input and output formats to GPX.

For websites, you can use the convert service on GPSies (click the button for 'show options'): http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do
Or a similar thing on GPS Visualizer: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input