Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252174 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1075 on: 30 June, 2010, 09:08:22 am »
Six months into the year, I am, for only the second week (the last was in January) below my starting weight! :o

I hope this is a trend which will continue.  I think the habit of riding every day does make a difference.  I hope to be securely below my first target by the end of July, and still hoping for hitting the second target by the end of the year, though that would mean almost 1kg/month loss.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1076 on: 30 June, 2010, 09:17:40 am »
I think I've hit a plateau in my weight loss. After shedding a stone since the start of the year, I'm not losing it any more.

I suspect I'm getting too fit - ie it's getting too easy to ride at my normal commuting pace, so I'm not getting the same exercise value from it as I was earlier in the year. Guess I'll have to increase the effort and/or distance on my commute.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1077 on: 30 June, 2010, 09:24:35 am »
Forgot to weigh myself this morning. Bit depressed though as I feel like I've put a few pounds back on.  :(

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1078 on: 01 July, 2010, 08:59:24 pm »
I weighed myself the other day at my mums (don't own scales so never weigh myself at home)... since I bought the Very Lovely Valencia at Christmas I have lost approximately 2 1/2 stone.  2 stone (roughly) of that is since the end of March, when I started riding for fun as well as commuting.  It quite good for you, this cycling malarkey, isn't it?

« Reply #1079 on: 01 July, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »
I weighed myself the other day at my mums (don't own scales so never weigh myself at home)... since I bought the Very Lovely Valencia at Christmas I have lost approximately 2 1/2 stone.  2 stone (roughly) of that is since the end of March, when I started riding for fun as well as commuting.  It quite good for you, this cycling malarkey, isn't it?
:thumbsup: 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1080 on: 01 July, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »
I declined to be weighed last night at my accidental attendance at Slimmers World ::-)

simonp

« Reply #1081 on: 01 July, 2010, 11:13:36 pm »
I declined to be weighed last night at my accidental attendance at Slimmers World ::-)

Accidental? :)

« Reply #1082 on: 01 July, 2010, 11:25:34 pm »
I'm concerned that C-3PO might be letting himself go. He's not been logging his weight.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1083 on: 02 July, 2010, 01:31:03 am »

Accidental? :)

From the "Have you been out today" thread on the Rides & Touring board.

Yes but...
only approx 4km down the road a banner  outside Checkley village hall says
"Keep Fit Here every Wednesday 7-9p.m"
so I think
"I'll have a butchers..."
& hang a left & go in expecting bodies to be doing all sorts of leaping & stretching & lifting & skipping.But NO..it's a Slimmers World thingybob yaddayaddayadda

« Reply #1084 on: 02 July, 2010, 02:50:11 pm »
I don't weight myself very often. Last time would have been a year ago, just before I started commuting further because of moving house. Back then, I was about 93kg.

I've been very sceptical about all these calories burnt calculations you get on Nokia Sporttracker and Sporttracks.

Today I weighed myself, and I am down to 76kg. I thought that might explain why those programmes suggest I've burnt such silly numbers. I changed the weight in Sporttracks, but it's still claiming I am burning >1150 calories each way on a 28.7km commute (takes an hour). That's wrong, right?

Chris S

« Reply #1085 on: 02 July, 2010, 03:18:04 pm »
I changed the weight in Sporttracks, but it's still claiming I am burning >1150 calories each way on a 28.7km commute (takes an hour). That's wrong, right?

Depends. 28.7km in an hour is pretty intense cycling - especially if it's not flat. You're pretty light though.

Seems a bit high to me. I weigh around 84Kg and average more like 25kph - and I reckon on using 500kcal/hr. Much less than most online tools, or my HRM say I do.

« Reply #1086 on: 02 July, 2010, 03:30:04 pm »
It's Cambridge - it's flat. Sporttracks reckons climb in metres is just +41.9 / -15.1. Hence I can do it in an hour :)

500 in an hour is much closer to how hungry I feel. Thanks.

simonp

« Reply #1087 on: 02 July, 2010, 08:54:51 pm »
I changed the weight in Sporttracks, but it's still claiming I am burning >1150 calories each way on a 28.7km commute (takes an hour). That's wrong, right?

Depends. 28.7km in an hour is pretty intense cycling - especially if it's not flat. You're pretty light though.

Seems a bit high to me. I weigh around 84Kg and average more like 25kph - and I reckon on using 500kcal/hr. Much less than most online tools, or my HRM say I do.

I was on the rowing machine the other day.  Burned 666 kcals in just under 40 minutes, so about 1030kcal/hr.

This is from the rowing machine's measurement of power rather than an estimation based on a guess, so it's likely to be fairly accurate.

Another way to look at this is that on the bike I can maintain about 200W for an hour (even after already riding 80k or so at around 170W).  200W = 200J/s => 200*3600J/hr = 720MJ/hr = 720-1000 kcal/hr (excluding BMR).

That's for a 70kg rider averaging about 29-30kph, with draughting.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1088 on: 06 July, 2010, 09:01:42 am »
I've gone from 11st 5lbs down to 10st 10lbs  :) Its been a combination of counting calories, drinking less wine, upping the exercise and doing lots of diy  :thumbsup: The best thing is getting back into size 12 trousers!

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #1089 on: 06 July, 2010, 09:45:27 am »
I've gone from 11st 5lbs down to 10st 10lbs  :) Its been a combination of counting calories, drinking less wine, upping the exercise and doing lots of diy  :thumbsup: The best thing is getting back into size 12 trousers!

Well done  :-*

« Reply #1090 on: 06 July, 2010, 07:17:55 pm »
:thumbsup: :D

simonp

« Reply #1091 on: 06 July, 2010, 07:27:19 pm »
My body fat scales they say 13.2% this morning.

This (13%) was my target body fat percentage.  Unfortunately it'll go up as my body remembers what normality is again over the next day or two.  Usually it goes up by around 1% so I will be around 14% probably.

Weight is remaining stable at 70kg.  I achieve this by weekly curries to keep the calorie count high enough.  ;D

Fitness test next week will give an indication of how "real" that drop is.

(Unsurprisingly, I look and feel a lot more trim than when the scales were reading 19%).

Chris S

« Reply #1092 on: 06 July, 2010, 07:42:18 pm »
My body fat scales they say 13.2% this morning.

This (13%) was my target body fat percentage.  Unfortunately it'll go up as my body remembers what normality is again over the next day or two.  Usually it goes up by around 1% so I will be around 14% probably.

Weight is remaining stable at 70kg.  I achieve this by weekly curries to keep the calorie count high enough.  ;D

Fitness test next week will give an indication of how "real" that drop is.

(Unsurprisingly, I look and feel a lot more trim than when the scales were reading 19%).

This won't help you on the Mille Cymru y'know...

It's very windy in That Wales. You'll just blow away like a feather on the breeze.

*thinks*

YES! Like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/W7voy1vit6Y&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/W7voy1vit6Y&rel=1</a>.

simonp

« Reply #1093 on: 06 July, 2010, 08:00:36 pm »
Weight constant, body fat down, means less like feather, more like lead.  More dense, if you will.

:facepalm:

« Reply #1094 on: 06 July, 2010, 08:32:09 pm »
@simonp - Where did you get your goals from? Is there an ideal BMI / bodyfat % for cycling?

I haven't had my body fat % checked for years - where can you get it done? It's possible I could get it done at work, but I'd have to accept some funny looks. FWIW, my BMI was 18.8 why I got married. It's been as high as 26.6. It's currently 21.3. I'd be pleased to get it back to what it was when I got married.

simonp

« Reply #1095 on: 06 July, 2010, 09:17:35 pm »
I don't think there is a single ideal. Your BMI is fine. Mine is about the same

For body fat I got it measured at anglianruakin along with a load of other stuff. I was 74kg and 18% fat.

The weight was average for elite cyclists (Pnot something I am) but body fat high. So I had a calorie restricted diet to get to 70kg and since then have just been training hard b

For the 13^ target I used an age related table from the book 'racing weight' which.  Takes into account your current fat level

« Reply #1096 on: 07 July, 2010, 01:05:15 pm »
6 months in and I'm exactly where I was at the beginning of January ::-). I might need to try a bit harder :facepalm:.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1097 on: 07 July, 2010, 01:08:15 pm »
I think we both need to review cake & biscuit input :-[
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1098 on: 07 July, 2010, 01:12:04 pm »
Can we change the weigh-in day to Tuesday? I was 79.9kg yesterday morning - first time under 80kg for as long as I can remember - but this morning I've put half a kilo back on. Too much dinner last night.  :-[

But that's still down on last week, so I'm happy enough.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1099 on: 07 July, 2010, 01:14:36 pm »
Can we change the weigh-in day to Tuesday?

You can fill in your entries on whatever day you choose to.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."