Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1253551 times)

Chris S

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1200 on: 06 October, 2010, 11:59:36 am »
Right, so I'm a miserable, teetotalling, hard-done-by whinger, suffering from permahunger and obsessing from dawn to dusk about calories and workouts and adaptation and other such shit.

But finally... the scales are starting to respond. And in the right direction.

Anyone who glibly says "Oh, it's just calories in vs calories out"1 should be taken outside and shot. Sometimes, this stuff is hard.

1 Yes I know, I have been guilty of this in the past. Oh the irony...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1201 on: 06 October, 2010, 01:33:26 pm »
After ~8 months effort my weight has stablised around my off season weight target. That's good because with winter approaching it means I can eat what I need without having that niggle in the back of my mind about losing weight. The rides I have planned for Oct/Nov should  see off the final couple of kg. Happy days.

Smug? Moi?

« Reply #1202 on: 06 October, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »
Down a kilo and a half this week - wonder if last week's weight gain was a blip. Anyway, BMI is now 19.2 which puts me in good shape for my target of 19 by Nov 1st.

« Reply #1203 on: 13 October, 2010, 12:47:17 pm »
Latest: 13-Oct-2010: 68.5 kg, BMI: 19.2

Annoyed to find that I haven't hit my target this week, particularly as I've kept under the net 1800kcal livestrong suggests I need to consume to lose that last .5kg (ignore the blue line, it's set for losing 1kg a week).

Oh well, the goal of a BMI of 19, was before Nov 1st, so I've still got time.

simonp

« Reply #1204 on: 13 October, 2010, 12:55:04 pm »
A bad diet for about 6 weeks for various reasons, and I'm up to 74kg.

So it's back to Livestrong and 0.5kg/week loss, and stop being "too busy" to eat properly.

Chris S

« Reply #1205 on: 13 October, 2010, 01:09:28 pm »
How do you get that graph DrMekon?

« Reply #1206 on: 13 October, 2010, 01:35:50 pm »
Click on the "calories over time" link on Livestrong. It's under the Tools heading on the righthand sidebar on the MyPlate page, and has a green tick next to it. I then screengrabbed it and put it on thumbsnaps.

Chris S

« Reply #1207 on: 13 October, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »
Click on the "calories over time" link on Livestrong. It's under the Tools heading on the righthand sidebar on the MyPlate page, and has a green tick next to it. I then screengrabbed it and put it on thumbsnaps.

Ooh, thanks! Here's mine:

Spot Audax day - and the post-audax HUNGER.

I lost 0.5Kg in the last week.

Chris S

« Reply #1208 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:29:52 pm »
I've decided to up my net calorie target to around 1800 from 1300. I've been feeling a bit mopy, tired, and always hungry. Also, trying to maintain 1300 a day after an audax is sheer hell.

So I've adjusted my calorie goal on LS to lose 0.5Kg a week, rather than 1Kg. This gives me 1800kcals net a day as a target.

The forums on LS are full of "advice" about not letting your net calorie goal go below your BMR (which for me is currently 1700kcals), so the new goal is more in line with that.

Here's hoping I can cheer up a bit, and not keep Mrs S awake at night with my rumbly tum.

simonp

« Reply #1209 on: 14 October, 2010, 11:05:14 pm »
Chris: I'm glad to hear this. 0.5kg/week worked for me.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1210 on: 15 October, 2010, 06:22:51 am »
What you guys are doing on lLivestrong seems like a good idea. However, I've spent a few minutes on the livestrong.com site but can't find anywhere to log my food. Is there a link that I've failed to see? Thanks.

Chris S

« Reply #1211 on: 15 October, 2010, 09:38:27 am »

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1212 on: 15 October, 2010, 09:52:11 am »
I've decided to up my net calorie target to around 1800 from 1300. I've been feeling a bit mopy, tired, and always hungry. Also, trying to maintain 1300 a day after an audax is sheer hell.

I'm not surprised, 1300 sounds like the Bradley Wiggins TdF weight loss plan and even 1800 doesn't sound a lot for a cyclist of your stature, especially now the temperture is starting to drop.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1213 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:26:24 am »
1300 calories a day sounds fine if you're aiming for the physique of Karen Carpenter.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris S

« Reply #1214 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:29:36 am »
Yes, this is 1300 calories net you understand - that is to say, after exercise has been taken into consideration. I've been eating between 2000 and 3000 calories a day and exercising to the tune of about 1000 calories; ergo, net of around 1000-2000 (usually around 1300).

simonp

« Reply #1215 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:52:48 am »

I'm not surprised, 1300 sounds like the Bradley Wiggins TdF weight loss plan and even 1800 doesn't sound a lot for a cyclist of your stature, especially now the temperture is starting to drop.

The 1300 or 1800 etc assumes no exercise.  Each time you do some exercise you get to eat more.

Mine is 1990, which is a deficit of 250 calories/day assuming I'm "lightly active" - i.e. working at a desk job.

« Reply #1216 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:38:12 am »
I kinda don't believe what sporttrack tells me about the number of calories my commute takes (usually 880ish for 29kms), so I struggle to believe that I can eat like the pig Livestrong says I can. However, I can't argue with the weight loss trajectory I am on.

FWIW, I tend to set my calorie goal at 1.5lbs or 2lbs per week, then go over at the weekend (thanks to barley wine). I am usually running around a 3500kcal deficit for a given week.

the only dietary behaviour changes I've made are to deliberately restrict my beer and icecream intake and to up my oat intake. Oats soaked in sweetened or chocolate soya milk with brazil nuts = yum substitute for ice cream.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1217 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:50:32 am »
I kinda don't believe what sporttrack tells me about the number of calories my commute takes...

You're wise not to trust the figures. If you enter "bicycling" on Livestrong as an exercise type, the options it gives you include:

"Bicycling: 12-14mph, leisure, moderate, 792cal/hour"

"Bicycling – 12-13.9mph (moderate) 599cal/hour"

Which one am I supposed to choose?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #1218 on: 15 October, 2010, 12:01:45 pm »
I kinda don't believe what sporttrack tells me about the number of calories my commute takes...

You're wise not to trust the figures. If you enter "bicycling" on Livestrong as an exercise type, the options it gives you include:

"Bicycling: 12-14mph, leisure, moderate, 792cal/hour"

"Bicycling – 12-13.9mph (moderate) 599cal/hour"

Which one am I supposed to choose?

d.

I choose the lower; the leisure one probably assumes a slower bike.

Chris S

« Reply #1219 on: 15 October, 2010, 12:03:02 pm »
I use the one that yields 519kcals an hour as experience has led me to believe that's roughly what I burn at audax speed (around 24km/hr). Hilly or faster will up this, but I tend to ignore that.

Edit: X-post with Simon. He and I obviously came to the same conclusion!

Incidentally - this is roughly HALF the rate that my HRM says I'm burning  ::-).

simonp

« Reply #1220 on: 15 October, 2010, 12:14:55 pm »
Well, I choose the 14-16mph one for my commute; this is 740kcal/hr.  If it's off, it's not off by much because it's only 20 minutes each way.  Commuting also has stop/start and acceleration which burns more calories for the same average speed.

I tend to go by distance and using the Powertap as a reference, depending on various factors it can be between 500 and 750kcal/hr at 24kph, and this ignores energy consumed that isn't going to the wheel (such as that used to balance).  The figures for non-leisure from Livestrong seem to be in the right ballpark.

« Reply #1221 on: 15 October, 2010, 07:54:09 pm »
Compared to the powertap, sporttracks isn't too far off though (apologies to Simon, we've been through this before), in that 880 is what I get for cycling at >28kph for an hour. Certainly it drops below 800 if I ride <25kph.

FWIW, I always enter my exercise manually from what I get out of sporttracks after importing my gpx file. It's got what my bike+bag weighs plus what I weigh, plus elevation, but I've no idea what it uses to calculate the figure.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1223 on: 20 October, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

I wish I could play the xbl achievement sound.

That's my weight loss graph. I was 93kg in Sept 09, and didn't weigh myself again until July. Looking at the slope, it looks like monitoring helped, but that my commute plus monitoring my physical activity through sporttracks and bikejournal was already an effective weight loss strategy. I began using Livestrong to self-monitor my dietary intake at the beginning of September. I don't think it's hurt at all, but I didn't really use it to change my behaviour too much, as my diet was already pretty good. However, it does encourage me to avoid snack food and boost up on porridge, so I am going to stick with it.

The plan from here on in is to stick within a window of 67-69kg.

Chris S

« Reply #1224 on: 03 November, 2010, 09:23:08 am »
On something of a plateau at the moment. The graphs on LS show why - which is useful as I can see exactly what I need to do to start losing again.

The hard part is doing what I need to do to start losing again  ::-).