Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 636645 times)

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1350 on: 21 June, 2012, 12:09:23 pm »
The bike is a BSA - I'd have guessed at '60s.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1351 on: 21 June, 2012, 12:51:41 pm »
'60s sounds right to me.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1352 on: 21 June, 2012, 02:35:19 pm »
I saw two more handcycles in RP that evening - this time on the road crossing the park from Robin Hood Gate to Ham Gate.

This morning, I saw a Specialized StreetStomper - evidently a hybrid model, trading on the success of the StumpJumper and RockHopper.  Pretty rare, I think, though not desperately exciting of itself.  What was interesting was the horizontal dropouts, part of which was blanked off in the drive side only.  I've never seen this before, and can't think what the purpose might have been.

I wonder if it was produced like that so that the default derailleur option would work out of the box, but it could be filed out to allow the adjustability needed for a non-derailleur hub?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1353 on: 21 June, 2012, 03:48:02 pm »
No. The early indexed mechs had quite strict limitations on the relative locations of cassette and rear mech. Horizontal dropouts allowed too much deviation, so the driveside mold (cast dropouts) was modified to fix where the axle was located. The other horizontal dropout was not similarly modified because it allowed the wheel to be cocked to compensate for slight differences in chainstay length/ dropout position (manufacturing tolerances).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1354 on: 21 June, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »
Oh, so it's indexed!  </penny dropping>

I'd just assumed it was friction with thumbies.

Now, that makes sense.  Thanks.
Getting there...

« Reply #1355 on: 21 June, 2012, 05:54:51 pm »
Fixing puncture on my daughter's town bike last night - noticed the tyres; "John Bull tyres".

*How* old are the tyres on that bike?  They are falling to pieces.

Hard to know, I can remember John Bull printing sets, and puncture repair outfits into the 70s, Dunlop had taken them over in 1958. Trelleborg now own the remnants. In the 1980s there were two main makers of chainsaw wellingtons, Trelleborg and Nokia, both named after their own home towns. Trelleborg and Nokia both made tyres, including bike tyres. Nokia still do, they're called Nokian now.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1356 on: 21 June, 2012, 06:55:56 pm »
No. The early indexed mechs had quite strict restrictions on the relative locations of cassette and rear mech. Horizontal dropouts allowed too much deviation, so the driveside mold (cast dropouts) were modified to fix where the axle was located. The other horizontal dropout was not similarly modified because it allowed the wheel to be cocked to compensation for slight differences in chainstay length/ dropout position (manufacturing tolerances).

Interesting - thanks!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1357 on: 22 June, 2012, 11:12:03 am »
Dawes ?Lady Galaxy at KX

Wait - what?  Downtube levers, sure

But STIs as well? :o
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1358 on: 22 June, 2012, 11:22:31 am »
But there's no connection between STI levers and derailleurs, so it's simply a case of using the available brake levers.

If I locked up a helmet like that, I'd be worried about dogs pissing in it!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1359 on: 22 June, 2012, 11:32:56 am »
The bar tape is still well wrapped, and the stem looks like an ITM Eclypse, painted black, and peeling back to the chrome. So the stem and bars have been taken off a mid 90s sports bike. Would the chrome fork be original? The whole front end may have been replaced.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1360 on: 22 June, 2012, 11:37:48 am »
Proper pump pegs :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1361 on: 25 June, 2012, 10:04:46 am »
Of course there were some lovely bikes in York - a number of Roberts, a very fine pair of Bob Jacksons, a Carlton, a Claud Butler track bike, a Burley tandem, an early Orange, a sweet purple Woodrup tourer of late 70s vintage, and a Mal Rees ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #1362 on: 26 June, 2012, 11:35:48 pm »
Proper pump pegs :thumbsup:

And it's got a band-on one as well, below the brazed-on one! Perhaps to accommodate two different sizes of pump? ???

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1363 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:50:41 am »
A fairly ordinary mountain-bikey hybrid - pulling a tag-along tandem trike! Empty, evidently returning from school.

« Reply #1364 on: 27 June, 2012, 11:00:36 am »
A fairly ordinary mountain-bikey hybrid - pulling a tag-along tandem trike! Empty, evidently returning from school.
Probably a U+2

I used to have a U+1 - fantastic bit of kit. Could carry a week's shopping in boxes on the rack, and Mscharly got strong legs from pedalling. She could push me along all by herself when she was 5.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1365 on: 27 June, 2012, 11:13:43 am »
Yes, a quick google shows that's what it was. I've never seen one before - looks useful. And
Mscharly got strong legs from pedalling. She could push me along all by herself when she was 5.
woh!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1366 on: 27 June, 2012, 12:20:05 pm »
Dawes ?Lady Galaxy at KX

Wait - what?  Downtube levers, sure

But STIs as well? :o

That to me looks like a classic "built from bits of stolen bikes" hybrid.
I see a lot of bikes ridden by dubious characters with disc wheels and V-brakes round my way.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1367 on: 27 June, 2012, 12:22:17 pm »
I'm not sure.  Up to the stem, it all fits for period, style, quality etc, but the stem, bars & levers are clearly from a different bike.  Stolen or not, I couldn't say.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1368 on: 27 June, 2012, 02:02:29 pm »
I'd have assumed it was a bike which got involved in some sort of front-end prangage necessitating new bars, stem and brake levers, and was then rebuilt with parts from the back of a mate's shed/gumtree/ebay/local classifieds - in anything other than the first case there probably is a 50/50 chance they're stolen, but bought in good faith. And the stem, wherever it comes from, is ugly IMO.

« Reply #1369 on: 27 June, 2012, 02:48:08 pm »
And the stem, wherever it comes from, is ugly IMO.

The last high end quill stems were like that. I've got two ITM Eclypses because they were available in 150mm. The ultimate quill stem of that type of welded tubular construction was the titanium ITM Krystal, which is a thing of beauty IMO. There's the occasional NOS example about from upwards of £150.

« Reply #1370 on: 08 July, 2012, 06:15:22 pm »
Saw this Triumph earlier today:

Rod brake on the front, and I didn't see a rear brake (could be coaster? Or fixed?). Interesting rubber platform pedals with metal edges, and a Brooks vinyl sprung saddle.

The handlebars were mirror-shiny, and I couldn't tell whether the rims were alloy or steel, but there was no rust on them (they were shiny too!). Big shiny bell, too. Looked like a well-cared for bike (though I don't know what's going on with what looks like a mudguardless stay at the front!).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1371 on: 08 July, 2012, 06:20:18 pm »
It looks distinctly as if it's lost its mudguards. And as it has two brake levers but no rear brake, it must have lost its rear brake as well! Could be a dynohub at the front - or is it a hub brake? (in which case wheels are not original, which they might not be - rear looks like alloy on the photo and the front looks shiny like steel)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1372 on: 08 July, 2012, 06:24:45 pm »
The rear brake on those (BSA, Elswick Hopper, Raleigh, Triumph etc) is under the chain stays, you can see the chrome band near the DS pedal.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1373 on: 08 July, 2012, 07:09:18 pm »
i was going through my pictures and found this . it was in petersfield   :)

the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1374 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:27:00 am »
That's an interesting beast Cycleman!  :)

A couple of weeks ago I was greeted by someone with a Tret Trailer :thumbsup:. She turned out to be a friend of my boss who recognised the children and the tandem. I've always wanted one of those trailers! 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.