Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 636677 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1427 on: 23 August, 2012, 10:27:11 pm »
It might come down to an arm wrestling match. Actually, I've found photos showing both ways round.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1428 on: 24 August, 2012, 08:43:46 am »
Oldish* chap on a bright orange racing/touring barrow heading into Ciren about 1630ish Wednesday past.

I assume a Corinium rider, but don't know.

*I.e. older than me. :)

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1429 on: 24 August, 2012, 02:16:19 pm »
Yesterday morning, going round Parliament Square and then heading east along the Embankment, not quite a bicycle, but closer to a bicycle than anything else (and managing a respectable pace, ie faster than me!) a Frinton Flyer -

No pedals, electric power only.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1430 on: 24 August, 2012, 07:59:49 pm »
Closer to a motorbike, I'd have said - but interesting however you class it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1431 on: 25 August, 2012, 10:53:16 pm »
I saw this homemade cargo bike a couple of days ago. It's a 1990's(?maybe later) GT mtb, coupled to the rear triangle from what appears to be a kids' bike and a short length of rusty scaffolding pole. The owner said he'd put it together with bolts only, no welding required "so anyone could make one". Dunno how it handles...

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1432 on: 26 August, 2012, 11:21:03 am »
Closer to a motorbike, I'd have said - but interesting however you class it.

Legally, definitely a motorcycle, if you got stopped by the police you could end up in quite a lot of trouble, no type certification (or MOT), no insurance, no VED disc, no helmet, no plates, no indicators etc etc

As you said, interesting, but I'd say it seems to have too much unnecessary flamboyance, which will increase it's weight, and decrease it's range.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1433 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:05:27 pm »
just a couple from my return ride from milldenhall . unusual to me but maybe not to you .
 a trike in cambridge

and a cargo bike in shelford,

the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1434 on: 02 September, 2012, 08:12:06 pm »

« Reply #1435 on: 03 September, 2012, 10:06:00 pm »
While wandering over to a local pizza restaurant in Stockholm last night, I came across this creation:

IMG_0446 by Chrisando74, on Flickr

???

« Reply #1436 on: 04 September, 2012, 12:21:53 am »
While wandering over to a local pizza restaurant in Stockholm last night, I came across this creation:

???
I didn't know Dali did bicycles.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1437 on: 04 September, 2012, 12:34:39 am »
That looks like the sort of thing that you'd get if you asked someone who'd never seen a bicycle to build one based on cycle lane markings and train bike space specs.

« Reply #1438 on: 04 September, 2012, 10:21:40 pm »
In Ljubljana, and it's ss not fixed

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1439 on: 04 September, 2012, 10:26:30 pm »
Ah!  Velocino.  Wobbly John is our expert in this field.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1440 on: 09 September, 2012, 04:43:03 pm »
We're on a train near Worthing with a gentleman who has a Higgins trike with hub brakes and four speed SA hub.  His partner has a pretty 1952 HC Strudwick with three speed hub.
Getting there...

« Reply #1441 on: 10 September, 2012, 10:03:17 am »
A bike hire business has just set up at our local canal centre. The fleet includes two load trikes, which are interesting for two reasons: firstly, the confguration, which is a tadpole upright (as per a Christiana) with front wheel drive and rear wheel steering! Secondly, the canal towpath /sustrans route includes barriers which make progress with panniers nigh-on impossible, so how a trike will manage is beyond me!

http://bellabike.dk/Teknik.aspx
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #1442 on: 11 September, 2012, 10:15:57 am »
On way home last night I was overtaken by someone very tall riding a mountainbike. They managed an impressive turn of knots.

What was unusual was the amount of seatpost. Well over 2 feet of seatpost showing out of frame. The frame looked like a kiddies bike under this bloke.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #1443 on: 11 September, 2012, 08:44:31 pm »

???
I reckon it's a low stepover - I've heard of one before but never seen one - for people who can do a pedalling motion but can't use a normal or standard tep through frame (?lateral hip immobility)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1444 on: 11 September, 2012, 09:19:43 pm »
On the way home, I saw a nice, if tatty, Carlton Pro-Am.  Shame about the replacement rear wheel (a Bikehut vee :o ), and the RLJing hipster on the top.

Also a very cool Bridgestone Moulton.
Getting there...

« Reply #1445 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:57:31 am »
If only I'd had a camera with me . . .

'Hirondelle' on the down tube in fancy script. Very elaborate lugs, lovingly lined. Reynolds 525 transfer on the seat tube, & Reynolds transfers on the forks. Smallish wheels, but looked as if built for bigger: loadsa clearance. Fattish tyres. Braze-ons for everything, including pump. Rohloff speedhub, 14 gears. Proper eccentric bottom bracket. Rohloff grip shifter held on bullhorn (cut down drops?) bars vertically with cable ties. Canti bosses, only front set used (brake lever on front right end of bar): no rear brake. Bars mounted on aheadset, behind steerer tube. Anonymous tack with no light fixing plate, & Cateye LD600 held on with two strips of insulating tape, covering part of the light.

A bizarre mixture of the sublime & the utterly crap. Broad Street, Reading, this afternoon.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1446 on: 14 September, 2012, 11:12:56 am »
On way home last night I was overtaken by someone very tall riding a mountainbike. They managed an impressive turn of knots.

What was unusual was the amount of seatpost. Well over 2 feet of seatpost showing out of frame. The frame looked like a kiddies bike under this bloke.

You're from Yorkshire, was it Steve Bainbridge? Ex-British Lions rugby player, although he lives a bit further north than that these days. I've ridden with him and for someone 6'6 he has an impressive turn of speed on a roadified mountainbike (the only thing that can withstand his weight and strength).

Probably not him - this person was very very lean. Not rugby playing build at all.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1447 on: 14 September, 2012, 11:24:58 am »

You're from Yorkshire, was it Steve Bainbridge? Ex-British Lions rugby player, although he lives a bit further north than that these days. I've ridden with him and for someone 6'6 he has an impressive turn of speed on a roadified mountainbike (the only thing that can withstand his weight and strength).

Probably not him - this person was very very lean. Not rugby playing build at all.
ISTR a freakishly tall (6'11" ish) German guy who works/worked at the Computer Science department - you could easily spot which bike was his as it had several yards of seatpost showing. Depending on where you saw him it could have been him (or I could just be talking complete bollocks)

« Reply #1448 on: 14 September, 2012, 11:26:44 am »
Leeds - still could be him. He was very very tall
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1449 on: 14 September, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »
Adrian Timmis's 1987 TDF Peugeot.

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.