Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 636613 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #2775 on: 31 March, 2019, 07:44:04 am »
About 70 of them yesterday, at the Wayfarer Centenary ride. Not just the individual bikes but also the mix. Everything from a dual suspension E-MTB through carbon gravel bikes and steel tourers (and a tandem) to SA-hubbed and fixed veteran cycles that were a century old. All ridden (and walked) to the Wayfarer's memorial via road, gravel and bog. Many of us continued over the top and looped round for over 70km for the day with some seriously tough pitches. Isla showed she is still a formidable rider, on a vintage single speed with original brakes. She floated away from me on the initial technical climb, seemingly without breaking a sweat.

https://grahamnevett.smugmug.com/2019-Wayfarer-RSF/?fbclid=IwAR3YCPM0zcs1oz04a7CJV6ReVRXDXtxuzxQ500QBzZh13iU0CXbU7LPK4JM
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2776 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:41:08 am »
That looks like a wonderful day.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2777 on: 17 May, 2019, 10:20:48 am »

IMG_2949_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2778 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:37:17 pm »
The number of box bikes locally continues to increase. There are two Dutch bakfiets and a couple of days ago I saw a homemade version, made by cutting and welding bits on to a Raleigh hybrid. Deeper box than the Dutch variety. I did take a photo but it was dark and it's too dull to be worth posting here.

« Reply #2779 on: 01 June, 2019, 06:10:50 am »
Something like 20 tandems went past in Amiens yesterday afternoon as I sat in le café. I guess it must've been a rally or something?

« Reply #2780 on: 04 June, 2019, 10:08:01 pm »
Last friday I was walking with my neice in Swinley Forest when we stepped aside for a pair of fat bikes. The amount of tire noise was horrendous but seeing the amount of effort required to climb the next hill was worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2781 on: 07 July, 2019, 07:35:30 pm »
A fully plastic Itera bike on the back of a car
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2782 on: 07 July, 2019, 07:48:57 pm »

I couldn't work out if this was a deliberate attempt to make an expensive bike look as uninteresting as possible, or just accidental.  Little details like the fabric reflective triangle hanging from the rear rack, the pipe lagging and duct tape concealing the S&S coupler on the toptube, and the decent-looking bike computer fitted to the *underside* of the stem.  The Chinese bar bag and double bar-ends went a long way towards throwing me off the scent, too.

Indeed, I'd got as far as attaching my panniers to my bike and was fumbling for my keys when the Rohloff-dar kicked in, shortly followed by "hang on, it's a Thorn", "wait, there's a SON and Edelux, too" and "how did I miss the Brooks?".

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2783 on: 07 July, 2019, 08:37:03 pm »
Cyclecare in Purton have a very nice gravel bike by The Light Blue in the window.  I don't really want or need a gravel bike but TLB colours are always good.

I also find the photo on their website amusing: https://www.thelightblue.co.uk/Sport/complete-bikes

I remember us doing the same helmet-slung-on-the-bars thing for the long hot slog up to the Dartmoor plateau, back when we went MTBing most weekends.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2784 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:13:47 am »
Reminds me a bit of LEE's avatar.  :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2785 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:33:04 pm »
Wandered into Mud Dock today, not for anything particular but because I happened to be passing, and they have four (4) Tern GSD electric-assist cargo bikes. These have small wheels and a wheelbase not much bigger than a standard solo, on a similar principle to a Circe Helios. They had them set up in various modes, one was rider + cargo, one was rider + two child seats, multiple configurations possible on any one bike. They cost four grand and apparently are selling well (cargo bikes generally seem to be going through the beginnings of a mini-boom) to "people who are buying them instead of a second car" in the words of Mud Dock staff.

« Reply #2786 on: 02 August, 2019, 06:41:45 pm »
Upright tadpole configuration, electric assist cargo trike seen twice today, carrying a youngster in the front 'basket' - not that unusual, except this ones LEANED  :o

A bit like one of these: https://www.butchersandbicycles.com/, except I'm pretty sure it wasn't identical to the ones shown.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

essexian

« Reply #2787 on: 03 August, 2019, 09:26:11 am »
Heading along the Wolverhampton Road towards Stafford town centre at 8.58am this morning, an Ordinary.  :thumbsup:

Can't say I have ever seen one in the flesh before....blimey, they look high up!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2788 on: 03 August, 2019, 10:31:09 am »
Riding our canal towpath on one of those would be interesting, especially on the bits where it's ~1m wide.

Path whereon I met a 4-wheel "tandem"* coming the other way on Thursday, sedately pedalled by a collection of old bones on side-by-side saddles. Fortunately there was a verge wide enough for them to panic onto. I might take a life jacket next time I go that way.

* it can't really be a tandem because tandem (from the Latin for eventually) means one behind the other.  Periugum mightn't be a bad alternative, with overtones of being yoked together.

The pedant subsides, for the nonce.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2789 on: 03 August, 2019, 11:06:39 am »
the pipe lagging and duct tape concealing the S&S coupler on the toptube
That part could well be rider protection.  My left knee & ankle orbit in very weird 3 or possibly 4 dimensional arcs.  A permanent bruise on my inner thigh is one result and at the moment I have a sore patch on my calf resulting from chafing on some new water bottles.  The latter will stop once I've worn the mould lines smooth.  Frame bags, especially velcro attached are an absolute no-no.  If I had S&S couplings on a bike I would most certainly need to protect myself from them in a manner such as this.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2790 on: 03 August, 2019, 12:13:46 pm »
Riding our canal towpath on one of those would be interesting, especially on the bits where it's ~1m wide.

Path whereon I met a 4-wheel "tandem"* coming the other way on Thursday, sedately pedalled by a collection of old bones on side-by-side saddles. Fortunately there was a verge wide enough for them to panic onto. I might take a life jacket next time I go that way.

* it can't really be a tandem because tandem (from the Latin for eventually) means one behind the other.  Periugum mightn't be a bad alternative, with overtones of being yoked together.

A second pedant notes that the correct term for such a side-by-side vee-hickle is a sociable, at least in English As She Is Spoke.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2791 on: 03 August, 2019, 01:25:10 pm »

A second pedant notes that the correct term for such a side-by-side vee-hickle is a sociable, at least in English As She Is Spoke.

Harrumph.  Bringing such a contraption onto a towpath might be termed downright unsociable.  I suppose that they must get rather fed up with the outraged klaxons on the main highway.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2792 on: 07 August, 2019, 10:15:52 pm »
what I would call a semi-recumbent tandem on Islay last Saturday.  As I was returning from Jura via Port Askaig, I assumed they'd come from the same ferry port.  Two interesting bikes, one semi-recumbent tandem with a small child asleep in the front seat, notable by the lack of front pedal turning, adult at the rear. Second bike was a cargo-bike, small child in front and father pedalling

They were about halfway to Bowmore and mostly downhill from there.  Not sure how they dealt with the 9-14% ramp out of the ferry port.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2793 on: 10 August, 2019, 06:03:55 pm »
Just rode past a family (presumed) on two tandems in Hay.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2794 on: 03 September, 2019, 11:36:43 am »
Saw a Hase Pino this morning, which looks a bit bizarre with only the rear-mounted pilot and no stoker.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2795 on: 04 September, 2019, 06:19:38 pm »
From social media today.

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2796 on: 04 September, 2019, 06:24:24 pm »
I keep seeing more things and realising they're also attached to the bike...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2797 on: 04 September, 2019, 06:32:30 pm »
Okay, he's got chunky plastic boxes of industrial strength catering size mayonnaise (or something) for panniers. Unusual, inelegant, but tough and cheap and fits in with a certain heavy duty utility aesthetic. And he's got a huge yellow pack on top of the back rack. Then at the front he's got a big basket. Oh, and more yellow panniers, but these are Ortlieb. And, woah, is that huge pale roll also attached to his front rack? But that blue bag at leaning against the back of the bike just happened to be in the guy's shed, surely? No? No!

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2798 on: 04 September, 2019, 06:40:48 pm »
I really want to know who the wheelbuilder is!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2799 on: 04 September, 2019, 06:43:11 pm »
Isn't Denali mountainous? I want to know what this guy's thighs are like!