Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2447071 times)

fuzzy

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8525 on: 28 February, 2017, 11:33:07 am »
Looking at your last photo, paul851: is only one rear wheel driven on your conversion?
One wheel drive was the lightweight choice because differentials are expensive and not light.  Then the supply of diffs dried up in the 1960s.  In the 1980s the two wheel drive was reinvented - two freewheels.  This was also heavy until the cassette came along and a lightweight carrier invented.  This is now the preferred method.  For a picture of the cassette carrier with 2 sets of pawls and of braking arrangements see "Galleries" at http://www.trykit.com/  Also, look at the banner heading photographs on http://tricycleassociation.org.uk/  there's one showing what we would call a decent bend on the race circuit at Fowlmead in Kent.

That photo of the line negotiating the bend reminds me of a picture of a m/cycle sidecar race  :thumbsup:

That's exactly how I imagined it would look.

I'm still curious to try a recumbent trike. just to see how much fun it could possibly be.

Almost bought one off E-bay yesterday, that would have taken some explaining at home.  She doesn't even know about the folder I bought yet.

LOTS! Trying to tail slide a tadpole through a right hand hairpin on a 10% descent? Oh Yus ;D

« Reply #8526 on: 28 February, 2017, 07:02:09 pm »
did you succeed ?  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #8527 on: 01 March, 2017, 07:47:49 am »
It's really nice. I've ordered some of the crazy cheap 32 spoke, 25mm internal width planet x wheels so I can have a set of dirt wheels and keep my light wheels for road duty.

Which wheelset is that? I'm still vaccillating about wheels. I'm probably 20kg heavier than you (plus I think I commute with more stuff due to not having an actual office) so "light" wheels won't do for general duties. I'd happily take advice.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8528 on: 01 March, 2017, 02:34:24 pm »
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WBI25EGRS/wtb-st-i25-tcs-rim-on-el-guapo-rattlesnake-hubs

Really wide, so spread the tyres nicely. The free hub has 72 points of engagement, so take up feels bonkers.

Remember, to get the best out of them, you'll need a tubeless kit. I'm using orange seal. I've got an air shot, so happy to set them up for you.

« Reply #8529 on: 01 March, 2017, 03:39:27 pm »
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WBI25EGRS/wtb-st-i25-tcs-rim-on-el-guapo-rattlesnake-hubs

Really wide, so spread the tyres nicely. The free hub has 72 points of engagement, so take up feels bonkers.

Remember, to get the best out of them, you'll need a tubeless kit. I'm using orange seal. I've got an air shot, so happy to set them up for you.

Certainly not expensive - looks circa 2100g for the set? I wonder if it's worth spending a bit more, for a fat lad like me?But "worth spending more?" is a silly question in the context of bikes, I suppose... ;D

« Reply #8530 on: 01 March, 2017, 03:47:07 pm »
Yes, get mike to build you up some DT Swiss 350s with cx rays and some nice wide rims. However, these are for occasional off road and commuting. So cheap I don't mind dinging them if I run them too low. If I find I love it, I'll definitely be getting some nicer (read lighter) ones. Learning the limits on these is the plan

« Reply #8531 on: 01 March, 2017, 05:33:59 pm »
Dr M, thanks for your earlier note.

Those wheels look really good value, but I suspect I'd need to pop them in the stand and sort them out before riding them. Anyone have any experience of Planet X hand builts - I'm extrapolating from another hand builder of cheap wheels?

CL, they do look a bit heavy, but they're cheap. Value choice I suppose. I didn't think you were that big! I've got loads of tubeless tape (200m) if you need a couple of wraps.

Mike

« Reply #8532 on: 01 March, 2017, 09:27:15 pm »
They are true, and no obviously slack spokes. We'll see how they are in a month, and I'll take coffee and cake to my LBS and smile sweetly. They are cool with me getting a tide me over bike - they've had the majority of my disposable income for the last 5 years.

However, the are noticeably heavy compared to the grails and whatever spokes my LBS used (only 24 on them vs 32 on the PX wheels). Still, I'm thinking of trying to get around Gisburn red route on it - best I find out that's stupid on cheap wheels. I'm sure they'll need a once over after that.

I do think if you are going to have a nice on and off road in one bike, two sets of wheels does make sense. I've popped some discs on, and have ordered a spare cassette and chain, so the only faff is mudguard removal for when it's grotty - and they it'd have to be really grotty - there's a huge amount of clearance between the 35mm clements and the guards set up for the 35mm bon jons - they are huge in comparison.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #8533 on: 04 March, 2017, 09:35:26 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8534 on: 04 March, 2017, 10:07:08 pm »
I like that.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8535 on: 05 March, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »
a new trike for mrs cycleman .

liz and new trike feb 2017 002 by cycleman108, on Flickr

a sun ez 3  :)
Just seen this. Very Splendid  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #8536 on: 05 March, 2017, 07:07:40 pm »
it is as all trikes of this wheel configuration interesting to ride   :) . it is to heavy to tour on though at least with my legs fitted  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #8537 on: 12 March, 2017, 06:43:33 pm »
Should have been here

I've had this Kinesis Aithein frame and groupset setting in the shed for quite a long time - the weight limit was intended to be motivational and I am now light enough to actually ride it. I have a different set of rims also, waiting on a chance to build them up.

Mike

Slideshow

https://northernwheelandbike.wordpress.com/2017/03/12/kinesis-aithein/#jp-carousel-110https://northernwheelandbike.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/aithein-2-of-8.jpg

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8538 on: 12 March, 2017, 06:51:50 pm »
Fancy bike.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Samuel D

« Reply #8539 on: 12 March, 2017, 07:02:13 pm »
Looking good. What are the chainring sizes, out of interest?

« Reply #8540 on: 13 March, 2017, 07:16:03 am »
Thanks Paul. Did 15 miles on it late last night and it rides nicely, as you'd hope.

Samuel, the chainset came as a 52/38, but I've swapped the inner for a 36 for the moment. Given my proximity to the Yorkshire dales and moors, low gears are a good thing.

Mike

« Reply #8541 on: 14 March, 2017, 11:51:44 pm »
The Peugeot returning to its roots.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8542 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:56:42 am »
I like that quite a lot. Forks are not original?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8543 on: 15 March, 2017, 12:26:36 pm »

You need to start a blog and get your nips out - you could be the next Ultraromance  on that

https://www.instagram.com/ultraromance/?hl=en

« Reply #8544 on: 25 March, 2017, 07:26:06 pm »

Whoops. How did that happen...   ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8545 on: 25 March, 2017, 11:06:22 pm »

I like that a lot.

I'm tempted to do that to my Saracen.  Are those the Tektro V-Brake levers?

...and what the hell sized chainrings do you have up front?  That's the smallest granny-ring I ever saw
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8546 on: 26 March, 2017, 12:17:23 am »

Whoops. How did that happen...   ::-)

Butbutbutbut . . . Where's the hinge in the middle? There's no castors! Or paddles. And it isn't made of wood . . .  :o

Who are you and what have you done with the real Wobbly John?  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #8547 on: 26 March, 2017, 11:19:02 pm »
I like that quite a lot. Forks are not original?

Kona P2s. Wow, top geekery! Well spotted. The downtube shifters and seat tube were also fitted/replaced by a local framebuilder, so there's not much left of the original Peugeot Dakar.

I like that a lot.

I'm tempted to do that to my Saracen.  Are those the Tektro V-Brake levers?

...and what the hell sized chainrings do you have up front?  That's the smallest granny-ring I ever saw

Cheers LEE! It's a classic touring 46-36-22 setup. The downshift is a bugger, and occasionally I do have to boot the chain into its rightful place. And they are the Tektro jobbies, 20,000 miles and still going strong apart from the rubber hoods which rotted off yonks ago, so I've just wrapped bar tape around them.

You need to start a blog and get your nips out - you could be the next Ultraromance  on that

BTDTGTTS....

« Reply #8548 on: 27 March, 2017, 12:21:05 am »

« Reply #8549 on: 29 March, 2017, 06:14:34 pm »
Current audax machines below:

Singular Osprey which I absolutely love and use for most things, it's supremely comfy, and deceptively fast! I'm running 28s under the guards but could probably squeeze 30 or 32s with wider guards. Only changes to pic are it's got a SP hub on the front now and using an old Suntour VX rear derailleur instead of the Ultegra one in the pic after it 'migrated' to my wife's bike to enable use of a bigger cassette for her.

The Bianchi blue Mercian is my second option, a bit heavier, 32/35mm tyres, slightly different gearing, just as comfy as the Singular but not quite as sprightly. I tend to use when exploring new routes at slower pace or if I know the roads are going to be particularly awful. Frame came from here 2nd hand an despite looking tiny it has a very low BB which drops the whole bike (hence short HT) and it is just as long as the purple Merican below and longer in the TT than the Singular above!

The purple Mercian is SS and used for shorter rides and some club runs/exploring rides, it actually has laods of clearance but a poor choice of narrow guards is currently limiting it to 'big 23s/small 25s' and until I get round to changing the guards it'll stay that way. It does currently have a dynamo and Edelux on it too though but they were fitted after the pic.

I have a lovely Bontrager Road-Lite too for fair weather use but it's currently in bits pending a rebuild!