Author Topic: Importing GPX to eTrex Legend-Help Required  (Read 1302 times)

Importing GPX to eTrex Legend-Help Required
« on: 04 March, 2017, 09:04:57 am »
It's been such a long time since I've had to do this that i'm now out of touch with current options! My usual way was loading up the GPX file to bikehike, saving it as a GPX track then sending to unit, this no longer works as i keep getting error messages about Garmin Plugin not installed however, after a bit of googling i've found that most browsers no longer support this plugin  :facepalm: I've also tried loading the GPX on to Basecamp then sending as a GPX route to the unit but it keeps shortening it down ! all i want is a route or track with turn instructions that's easy enough to install, is there now an easy way of doing this?
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Importing GPX to eTrex Legend-Help Required
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2017, 12:49:22 pm »
Try converting to a track within Basecamp and sending that to the unit.  Routes are limited to a much smaller number of points.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2017, 06:56:44 pm »
Tracks are also limited on the Legend, and the trouble is they'll often get truncated (to 500 points, the maximum) with no obvious error message to warn you.  Then you find out, in the middle of nowhere ...
And with a Track you won't get any turn instructions.

Given that you've tried Basecamp, I don't know what else to suggest.  Just get your Route down to 250 points or less.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2017, 03:11:47 pm »
This issue sort of came up recently:  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100508.0

My post in that thread referred to difficulty in uploading a GPX route to my old Etrex Legend having lost the plug-in - others seemed to have a solution using the Garmin's own option to work as a file storage device, but it didn't work for me. Hence I 'retired' the Etrex.  Shame really as it did everything I wanted.