Author Topic: Garmin eTrex updates  (Read 1619 times)

Garmin eTrex updates
« on: 06 March, 2019, 07:37:18 pm »
When my eTrex 30x is connected to Garmin Express it shows that there's quite a few updates available to the latest software version(s) such as maps and device software but i vaguely remember hearing or reading about people having problems after doing so. My unit works ok just now so I'm wondering if it's worth taking the chance?
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: Garmin eTrex updates
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2019, 09:33:59 pm »
FWIW, I upgraded my Etrex 30x to the latest (3.0) firmware last week. It is still working and I have noticed no difference in functionality.
Others may have had different experiences - Lets see who else answers...  :)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:58:48 am »
I never bother with updates unless I know a feature has been added that might interest me.  Simply adding Swahili to the list of available languages is not worth the possible pain of an update gone wrong.

However with this thread in mind:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111215.0
you may feel now is a good time to get up to date.  Heck, I might even do it myself.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:19:37 am »
There has been quite a few bugs fixed etc. I think mostly minor issues, but you might as well update.

I would use the Garmin WebUpdater software, it is a lot simpler than Garmin Express, probably works better.

It is not too hard to revert to an older firmware version if necessary.

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:35:27 am »
Ok thanks all, I'll probably just update to the latest firmware and not the maps.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.