Author Topic: Bryson and The Times  (Read 10836 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Bryson and The Times
« Reply #25 on: 14 April, 2008, 03:00:22 pm »
Ah, litter [Personal bugbear]...

I shall do my best to refrain from my truly ranting fever that can be reached, but I have to agree with many of the points made.

On my terraced street why are some of these idiots incapable of realising that the green wheely bin is for garden waste only? If you fill it with beer cans and pizza boxes the bin-men will not take it. Ever. So it just sits there blocking the pavement (no they can't be arsed to move it either) in a stand-off. And how do they generate that much rubbish anyway?

I'm amazed by the sheer volume of rubbish other people have.
I do wish bin colours were consistent though. In my borough, the green bin is for organic waste. I live within 200 metres of the borough boundary. A green bin in Harrow is for general rubbish, so some mistakes are understandable.

« Reply #26 on: 14 April, 2008, 03:03:24 pm »
Ah, litter [Personal bugbear]...

I shall do my best to refrain from my truly ranting fever that can be reached, but I have to agree with many of the points made.

On my terraced street why are some of these idiots incapable of realising that the green wheely bin is for garden waste only? If you fill it with beer cans and pizza boxes the bin-men will not take it. Ever. So it just sits there blocking the pavement (no they can't be arsed to move it either) in a stand-off. And how do they generate that much rubbish anyway?

Beer cans and pizza boxes is exactly what my green bin is for. Not glass though. Brown bins, which we go only last week are for garden waste, not fruit though.

« Reply #27 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:46:49 pm »
Why no fruit ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:38:05 pm »
Why no fruit ?
Attracts undesirables, methinks.
Rats
Wasps?

Our council used not to allow cooked food in our 'organics' bin but now just about everything goes.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #29 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:42:12 pm »

I see this sort of thing quite regularly in both England and Wales whilst I'm out cycling.  Sometimes there'll be a bag every 100 m or so.  I really don't get it though.  Often it looks like someone has gone to the trouble of putting 20-30 empty lager cans into a carrier bag, tie it up, then throw it out the window.  If you are going to chuck it in the road, why go to the effort?  If you've already got it in a bag, is it that difficult to take it home?  Is there something I am missing here?

Several years ago Kilroy did a programme about litter, and they had a woman on who would regularly buy McDonalds for her kids' evening meals, and they would eat them in the car, and then throw the packaging out of the window because "it's disgusting to have food waste in the car."  ::-)

I'd bring back hanging for littering if I could. Or at least go the Singapore route - a S$500 (about £200) fine, and for repeat offenders, a stint on street cleaning community service wearing a tabard which says "litter bug" across the back. Or maybe combine the two - fine them, make them sweep the streets and then hang them.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #30 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:51:41 pm »
Several years ago Kilroy did a programme about litter

You were watching Kilroy..?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #31 on: 16 April, 2008, 03:01:02 pm »
...Or maybe combine the two - fine them, make them sweep the streets and then hang them.

And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope?  ;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #32 on: 17 April, 2008, 08:04:05 am »

You were watching Kilroy..?

I know. I'm not proud. I don't understand why I was up so early either - if I'm off work, I'm generally not up in time for things like that.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #33 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:46:54 am »
I'd ... at least go the Singapore route - a S$500 (about £200) fine, and for repeat offenders, a stint on street cleaning community service wearing a tabard which says "litter bug" across the back. Or maybe combine the two - fine them, make them sweep the streets and then hang them.

Kirst for Mayor of London!  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Treewheeler

« Reply #34 on: 17 April, 2008, 07:43:29 pm »
I pick up litter on our local lanes every single week. We even have a picker-up tool which we take on walks.

For my sins...
 I am a part-time woodland warden.
My main task is the collection of litter and the policing of the woodland.
Most is soft drug related or small scale fly tipping of domestic rubbish.
Soft drugs, alcohol and aerosols seem to give the users hunger pangs which means although I never have to collect needles (these users need a warm dry environment)
I have bottles and broken glass, burned tents and wrappers of all kinds.
 The culprits are mainly older teenagers from the local housing projects.
It's their diversion and as a result, mine too.
What really upsets me is the sensless destruction of ancient trees by vandals making fires at their base.
The same TWATS who leave the litter I may add.

Treewheeler

« Reply #35 on: 17 April, 2008, 07:47:45 pm »

[/quote]
And, with even more impenetrable logic, those folks who take the rare step of cleaning up after their dog, only then to take the filled carrier bag and tie it to a tree branch so it dangles there like some particularly noisome fruit.
[/quote]

ARRGHH!
 And these are often respectable middle class folk!
Why don't they flick it into the verge where it would disappear in a few days...