Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 82904 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #25 on: 04 January, 2009, 10:59:08 pm »
If you extrapolate this concept to a ride somewhere 'oop norf' and drop Wowbagger and substitute Torslanda then it becomes TARTY

Is that tenuous or what?

IGMC

J

Or keep me in and make it "Throughout The Year" and you've got TWATTY.

The possibilities for smut and silliness are endless - and we haven't even started in earnest yet!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

alan

« Reply #26 on: 05 January, 2009, 01:24:12 am »
I'd love to join some of your rides - but really too far away. If they are every month though, I may be able to make one during the year.

We could take advantage of our common geography & go together in one car,sharing petrol costs, one month...but not this current one.
Yeah or nay?

Sounds good to me - possibly when the weather is a bit better?

Yes

« Reply #27 on: 05 January, 2009, 10:34:08 am »
So THAT's what it stands for! RRTY, I mean. I was musing on it as I cycled yesterday - I knew it involved cycling every month but I didn't know how far, and I couldn't get the initials to fit to anything meaningful. So - thank you!

And I'd love to come on your WARTY ride but it's a bit of a journey to the start, for me....

« Reply #28 on: 05 January, 2009, 12:54:29 pm »
Have just caught up with this thread - on the ball as usual!

Would love to join you, especially as it looks as though your route practically goes past my front door! So, if I can get permission from 'er indoors and you can tolerate an old fart puffing along at the back slowing you all down, can I be in your gang? As I read it, you're meeting/starting at the rail station in Marks Tey yes?

annie

« Reply #29 on: 05 January, 2009, 12:59:50 pm »
Have just caught up with this thread - on the ball as usual!

Would love to join you, especially as it looks as though your route practically goes past my front door! So, if I can get permission from 'er indoors and you can tolerate an old fart puffing along at the back slowing you all down, can I be in your gang? As I read it, you're meeting/starting at the rail station in Marks Tey yes?

Excellent news.

You won't be at the back, I can assure you.

Look forward to seeing you again.

LE

« Reply #30 on: 05 January, 2009, 01:06:14 pm »
I will try to join you for a ride later in the season (when sore bits are less sore and fitness has increased)

« Reply #31 on: 05 January, 2009, 02:31:31 pm »
Got a railcard now, which was painless and photo free. Just waiting till the weekend and a balmy 0 - 3oC.  ::-)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #32 on: 05 January, 2009, 05:29:58 pm »
Has this thread taken over from the other one Annie started ?  If so.. I'm in for the January ride.  Not sure about the others yet.

« Reply #33 on: 05 January, 2009, 05:32:32 pm »
Has this thread taken over from the other one Annie started ?  If so.. I'm in for the January ride.  Not sure about the others yet.
I think so, the route is linked on this post, Clicky.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 05 January, 2009, 06:02:37 pm »
Got a railcard now, which was painless and photo free. Just waiting till the weekend and a balmy 0 - 3oC.  ::-)

Is Fatters likely to be with us? If so, we can get a Groupsave at 4 for the price of 2. Don't need a railcard for that.

« Reply #35 on: 05 January, 2009, 06:06:07 pm »
Is Fatters likely to be with us? If so, we can get a Groupsave at 4 for the price of 2. Don't need a railcard for that.
He hasn't posted to either threads re the 10th Jan ride. I might see him tomorrow at 40+.

RogerT

« Reply #36 on: 05 January, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »
ER...Just a small point...I have put this route into my trusted Sat Nav, and I notice that the word "hill" appears rather more than once.  As a Fen Dweller I must insist that an iron is taken to these hills in order to flatten them somewhat.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 05 January, 2009, 06:43:52 pm »
This ride is in Essex. Essex is flat. Everyone knows that.

RogerT

« Reply #38 on: 05 January, 2009, 06:51:50 pm »
This ride is in Essex. Essex is flat. Everyone knows that.

Sorry to contradict old chap, but where I reside is TRULY flat  ( if the earth was not curved you could see Siberia with a good telescope )

Essex sports one or two interesting little bumps from memory.

I have no doubt lots of comments about southern softies will be on their way soon.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #39 on: 05 January, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »
I was being facetious.  :thumbsup:

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #40 on: 05 January, 2009, 07:09:19 pm »
Excellent idea  :thumbsup:

I fear I won't be able to make these feats of herculean double-entendre due to other commitments but wish you all best. I will track you progress with interest.

H

« Reply #41 on: 05 January, 2009, 07:43:44 pm »
Seriously guys, I worry about them hills...this flu has left me seriously unfit, my lungs are not doing fabulously (they are always my weak point on hills anyway) AND I've managed to lose my lowest of the low gear when I put a sparkly new freewheel block on  :-\ Four whole teeth, what is wrong with me  ???

The good news is today I managed to commute 5 miles to work and 5 miles back with no trouble (although the cold air/exertion brings the coughing on which is to be expected I suppose) but my commute, being London, is flatter than a flat thing, the bridges as I cross the river are the only thing resembling a hill!  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 05 January, 2009, 08:16:24 pm »
Church Hill in Finchingfield is a short, sharp shock and the pub is immediately at the top. By short, I mean less than 30 yards. That is by far the steepest but it's only about 1 in 10. No one will mind if you want to walk up it - you'll be getting off your bike in about 20 seconds anyway because you'll want some lunch!

Leaving Halstead there is a climb, although I've never cycled on that road - I'm just looking at the contours. There's also a climb out of Fordstreet on the way back to Marks Tey but it doesn't look especially nasty.

I'd say, NSTN, that if you wanted a nice gentle recovery ride after a bout of lurgy then this would be a good choice. Mrs. Wow and I will be on the tandem and you know what speed freaks we are when we get going.

« Reply #43 on: 05 January, 2009, 08:22:18 pm »
Hang on a cotton-picking minute.

I know which one that is, don't I?

Didn't we go down it, in the very rainy rain, immediately after lunch on the Uts weekend?

I descended that one gingerly, to say the least  ::-)

If I have to walk I have to walk, although I haven't walked a hill in I don't know how long and I shall be cross with myself.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #44 on: 05 January, 2009, 08:25:53 pm »

Essex sports one or two interesting little bumps from memory.

That's no way to refer to the WAGS  :demon:

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #45 on: 05 January, 2009, 08:41:15 pm »
That little hill in Finchingfield really isn't so bad. It seems steep from memory, but when you get to it just get up out the saddle and you'll be over it before you've even had time to get out of breath.

I'm wondering whether to 'do a Del' and cycle to the start point :-\.

« Reply #46 on: 05 January, 2009, 08:57:36 pm »
I'm getting a train!  :o I have considered cycling there, about 35 miles, and then it snowed. It's not particularly pleasant at this time of year.  ::-)

« Reply #47 on: 05 January, 2009, 09:01:48 pm »
24 and a bit miles from Chelmsford - mostly pleasant lanes although it's not really possible to avoid a couple of miles of the A120 into Marks Tey - and that's a nasty road. I think bobb will want to get the train too, it's just that I'm on a mission for mileage!

annie

« Reply #48 on: 05 January, 2009, 09:05:59 pm »
That little hill in Finchingfield really isn't so bad. It seems steep from memory, but when you get to it just get up out the saddle and you'll be over it before you've even had time to get out of breath.

I prefer to go up it rather than down it, I must be mad.

annie

« Reply #49 on: 05 January, 2009, 09:06:23 pm »