Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 82980 times)

Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #325 on: 19 February, 2009, 11:54:19 am »
So who is departing from a London station, and on what train?

Everything should be go for me now, bar a little tweaking of the position of the GPS and lights on the Kaffenback, since it has just successfully not exploded on a 15 mile commute in. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #326 on: 19 February, 2009, 11:59:06 am »
I'm aiming to catch the 08:34 (Arr - 09:13)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #327 on: 19 February, 2009, 12:01:53 pm »
I think we will be driving.  The extra 40km getting to & from the station won't help :-\
Getting there...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #328 on: 19 February, 2009, 12:20:01 pm »
With trains to Wickford every 20 mins, I'm not aiming for a particular one.  That way, the concentration of bikes (and the likelihood of "You're not putting another of those things on MY train" from a guard) is reduced.

But I think this line is DOO (Driver Only Operation) so that may not be an issue.

The 0755 (arr Wickford 0833) leaves from Lpoo St platform 13
The 0815 (arr Wickford 0853) leaves from Lpoo St platform 14
The 0734 (arr Wickford 0913) leaves from Lpoo St platform 10

IF the timetable can be believed, AND the signalman doesn't take it upon himself to be 'creative'.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #329 on: 19 February, 2009, 01:21:49 pm »
As per my norm, I've done a more detailed route derived from Wows route, so I can follow the route more closely on my Active 10.  This is quite a big file, since I tried to reduce it to 250 points, and it didn't always follow the roads that well, so I bumped the number of points up to 400.  It's quite a windy route, so should prove interesting! :thumbsup:

NSTN, I'm with Dr Wobbly, a nice gentle pootle around should be all you need to help you relax a bit.  Being a WARTY, this is not going to be a hell for leather dash around, but nevertheless should provide enough exercise that you'll feel like you've done something.

« Reply #330 on: 19 February, 2009, 01:39:10 pm »
With trains to Wickford every 20 mins, I'm not aiming for a particular one.  That way, the concentration of bikes (and the likelihood of "You're not putting another of those things on MY train" from a guard) is reduced.

Yes, but it's somewhat easier to get a group save, if there's a group of you. ;D

I'm guessing I'll probably go for the 8-34 one, since I'll have to leave home at about 7-30, which means getting up at closer to 6-30 etc. :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #331 on: 19 February, 2009, 03:30:06 pm »
The trains to Wickford don't have a guard. It's just stuff your bike in the doorway and hope no-one wants to get on.

In practice, the only stations which have right-hand-side platforms are Stratford and (rarely) Shenfield. A bunge or two can be useful to prevent bikes from falling over.

There is a set of bench-seats, running parallel to the side of the train, which has tip-up seats which allow the parking of several bikes. These are normally at the front of the train as they leave Lpoo Street.

If anyone does need to bail, the Burnham - Wickford line is never very far away.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #332 on: 19 February, 2009, 04:38:50 pm »
Guys, I do so want to come to this but I've been having trouble sleeping lately and if I have a sleepless night tomorrow night I'll be good for nothing, least of all a ride.
A qualified Tucker In and Lullaby Singer is just a PM away.   ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #333 on: 19 February, 2009, 04:57:24 pm »
When Del and I visited the Fox & Hounds, I brought a menu away with us so that we could pre-order to save time. It's pretty "grey" so probably won't scan very well. Here's a selection.

Rib-eye steak£9.75
Aged Rump steak£9.25
Gammon steak£8.95
Mixed Grill 1£9.50
Rib-eye steak£9.50
Beef Lasagne£8.95
Ham & Egg£8.50
BBQ Pork Ribs£8.50
Chicken Balti£8.50
Bangers & Mash£6.25
Moroccan Chicken£8.75
Sweet Chilli Lamb Steak£9.95
Haddock Fillet£8.50
Plaice Fillet£8.50
Calamari rings£7.95
Veg Lasagne£8.95
Veg Balti£8.50

Also kebabs, ploughmans, salads, burgers sandwiches & baguettes.

I had the chicken balti when we were there and it was magnificent - one of the best curries I've ever had.

Please post your preference.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #334 on: 19 February, 2009, 05:11:03 pm »
A baguette of some description for me.

« Reply #335 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:14:01 pm »
I'll go with your recommendation Wow, Chicken Balti please.

« Reply #336 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:17:58 pm »
Veg balti for me please Wow.

Ta.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #337 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:24:42 pm »
Rib-eye steak for me.  Hoping that I can manoeuvre my distended belly all the way from pub to station.  Last (sensible) train back for me to t'Midlands leaves Burnham at 1839.  I assume we'll be all done by then?

Can someone PM me a mobile number please?  (Or conversely, who should I PM with my mobile number?)  Then I can text to cancel everything if East Midlands Trains lets me down, and I can't make it after all.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #338 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:55:58 pm »
Put me down for a beef lasagne, thanks.

« Reply #339 on: 19 February, 2009, 07:06:50 pm »
Guys, I do so want to come to this but I've been having trouble sleeping lately and if I have a sleepless night tomorrow night I'll be good for nothing, least of all a ride.

I'll see how it goes and make a decision on Saturday morning, last night was not too bad.

Getting out of bed and getting yourself out is the hardest part. Once you get on the bike and start meeting people, you'll wake up enough. You've only got to get yourself onto a train. Once you've done that, you've cracked it.
You'll naturally start waking up a lot more after about 0930.
I won't get much sleep myself. I'll be cycling to Essex. :D

Has Wobbly John and Annie decided on a meeting point for the ride to the start?

« Reply #340 on: 19 February, 2009, 07:58:10 pm »

I was kind of assuming that we would meet at Wickford Station, since that's at the start (and end) of Wows route, as detailed in the February WARTY post.

« Reply #341 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:03:23 pm »

I was kind of assuming that we would meet at Wickford Station, since that's at the start (and end) of Wows route, as detailed in the February WARTY post.

That's where the bona fide WARTY ride proper, starts from. But Annie and WJ were thinking of riding to the start and as I'm riding to the start from Milton Keynes, I thought it would be nice to meet them and ride the rest of the way with said YACFers. :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #342 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:05:37 pm »
It'll be Ploughmans for me, please :) :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #343 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:09:12 pm »
Ah sorry TG, I hadn't got that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #344 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:15:48 pm »
Late but...

Anyone able to put up with us on Friday night?  We're really not much trouble. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #345 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:49:18 pm »
Ah sorry TG, I hadn't got that.

Apologies can only be accepted if they are expressed via the medium of

CAKE!

Something choclatey, now there's a good chap.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

« Reply #346 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:52:12 pm »
I've got a packet of Chocolate Cream Hobnobs here.  We just need to wait for someone to develop a suitable protocol for the sending of biccies across the Internet. ;D

« Reply #347 on: 19 February, 2009, 09:37:22 pm »

We haven't really discussed it. We're not really travelling in the same direction so there's not a good meeting point until quite near the start of the WARTY.

I'm not up to riding a 200 mile round trip from home and back anyway, so I intend getting the train down to Bishop Stortford (gets there about 7.30) and riding the red A roads to Wickford via Chelmsford.

Anybody likely to join me on the way?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

annie

« Reply #348 on: 19 February, 2009, 09:48:15 pm »

We haven't really discussed it. We're not really travelling in the same direction so there's not a good meeting point until quite near the start of the WARTY.

I'm not up to riding a 200 mile round trip from home and back anyway, so I intend getting the train down to Bishop Stortford (gets there about 7.30) and riding the red A roads to Wickford via Chelmsford.

Anybody likely to join me on the way?

Hmmm.  I might be up for meeting you.  Let me have a think about it tonight.  It would mean driving there, don't think there is a train service after Colchester.  How many miles are we talking about?

« Reply #349 on: 19 February, 2009, 10:21:48 pm »
Bishop Stortford to Wickford is 30 miles according to Googlemaps.

... oh, and Veg Balti for me please, Wowbagger
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...