Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 83313 times)

Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #375 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:33:58 pm »
Thanks to Wowbagger for planning what turned out to be a very, very fine day out, in good company, in a part of the world of which I am extremely enamoured.

Big skies?  :thumbsup:

Apologies for the apparent rudeness of not having said "fanx-tra" - but as TimO said upstream - our train was about to depart, and waiting an hour to then try to cram all of ourselves on...... well it just didn't seem a good idea.

Thanks again to all for a great day out.

« Reply #376 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:52:02 pm »
Although the faster riders got the train the slower ones had a nice cooling off in the pub waiting for the next one.  ;)
Right oh! This is the start

and this is a middle bit

, just before elevenses, and some of the rest are here Clicky in a slide show presentation, or just random clicking. All of my pics will be on Picasa in a few hours, it'll take a couple of hours to upload.

Edit: P.S. Don't forget the captions!!!  ;)

« Reply #377 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:55:13 pm »
 Thanks for organising such a nice ride Wow, and for letting me have a go on the tandem  :thumbsup: I had a nice time and it was good to be out. The headwind-y bit was a bit tiring though, I shall probably fall asleep shortly...

(The dog has been out, although I was not feeling kindly towards her when I got in. On her morning walk she ate something before I could stop her, which had made her be sick in several places which was a lovely thing to come home to. Bah.)

« Reply #378 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:01:40 pm »
wow - looks like an amazing day out, sorry I couldnt make it!

Edit: P.S. Don't forget the captions!!!  ;)

Checks captions.  Can I borrow one of these, plz fatters?  >:(

;D

« Reply #379 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:04:37 pm »
That will be my 'lost the will to live' pose.   :D

« Reply #380 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:07:40 pm »
 ;D
::-) Waits for NSTN to catch up!  :-*
That will be my 'lost the will to live' pose. 
;D If you like I'll PM the URL for full size, twice as big as Picasa pics, version.

« Reply #381 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:10:48 pm »
 ;D
::-) Waits for NSTN to catch up!  :-*
That will be my 'lost the will to live' pose. 
;D If you like I'll PM the URL for full size, twice as big as Picasa pics, version.

I can count to five and don't care who knows it  ;)

« Reply #382 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:13:51 pm »

Your kindness knows no bounds, Del - but that is a pose I'd probably be happy to forget.  :)

annie

« Reply #383 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:25:33 pm »
A fantastic day out in great company.  Superb weather and amazing scenery.  Woman of few words but will write more later or tomorrow.  I feel a little guilty as I am supposed to be involved in organising these rides, all I have really done so far is to agree on a route.  As they have been in Essex I haven't got a clue where I am going so haven't been much use on that score.  Getting to Suffolk is tough for most people due to the engineering work on the railways.

Photographs to follow.

It took me a while longer to drive home due to taking the wrong turning.

I am this...... 'so very unfit', think I ought to take up flower arranging. :-\

« Reply #384 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:59:31 pm »
Picasa is uploaded, 1600x1200, if anyone wants a 3200x2400 shot PM me and I'll upload it and give the URL for it.
I'll save jurek-dejected.jpg for later.  ;)
Did Regulator join us after the Wind of Change ride?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #385 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »
That was just so good.

Mrs. Wow and I caught 8.48 from Prittlewell and it wasn't long before we were all assembled at Wickford. We started but had a brief interruption because the Clarion / Butterfly tandem had a front mudguard that resembled a helter-skelter, so it was not surprising it was rubbing. After a mile we stopped so that fettling could take place, and it was a success.

It was hilly. OK, it was Essex hilly but the road still went up and down and as ride leader I quite often found myself leading from the back. It's great to have someone in the ride as knowledgeable as Del - I think he knows Essex even better than I do - so he did tail-end Charlie duties when necessary and at other times sprinted to the front to ensure that we went the right way.

After about 17 miles of this undulation, we arrived at the Round Bush. Teas all round and a variety of food was consumed. Teethgrinder opted for the megabig gutbusting hi-cal super-breakfast and although he ordered first, he seemed to be served last. Several of us offered to help him clear his plate, but only Jane was foolhardy enough to pinch a chip. She wisely counted her fingers afterwards just in case TG had eaten one of them.

After 11ses, the only hill was at St. Lawrence, and we all rode to the top. The consensus seemed to be that it is worth a chevron, even though Ordnance Survey confiscated one when 1:63360 was replaced by 1:50000. The view across the Blackwater Estuary is very fine from there. We were a little behind schedule so we went to the pub before we went to church. The landlord was as good as his word and fifteen of us were fed and watered in pretty good time, our numbers having been swollen by the arrival of Regulator.

We had a good look round St. Cedd's church (NSTN commented how she particularly enjoyed riding on the surface of the footpath) and then headed for the marshes. In spite of the fact that we were scarcely above sea level, the view is very good. We could see the wind turbines off Whitstable, the power station chimney in Kent, the Shoeburyness gas holder, some top secret thingummies across the Crouch estuary on Foulness Island and loads of office blocks in Southend.

It was at about this point that the wind became noticeably againsterly and Jan & I struggled to keep up. After some 4 miles slogging we could see the 1639 train approaching from Southminster and knew that we would miss it, but that was all to the good: it gave the faster cyclists the opportunity to make their escape whereas a few of us finished the ride in the pub on the sea wall, catching the train an hour later.

Now replete with fish and chips, and clean from a shower heated entirely by the sun's rays, I reckon that was one of the landmark rides of 2009: the day winter lost its grip.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #386 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:09:27 pm »
Here we go then with some pics, it might take a while as there are still quite a lot to upload.

At the start

The girls doing their usual posing, looking good by the way

Jane on her new September

Ploddin Pedro

Smiles as always from Delthebike

« Reply #387 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:15:27 pm »
I reckon that was one of the landmark rides of 2009: the day winter lost its grip.

Top ride, Wow.
Top ride.

« Reply #388 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »
Another great WARTY ride, with weather as memorable as WARTY ONE but for completely different reasons, thankfully. Excellent organisation by Wowb. including a very decent pint (and a bit more!) of Abbot at lunch. I maintained my unbroken record of getting separated from the bunch again, rectified by doing what I did last time and going to t' pub. Very interesting to visit St. Peter's, somewhere I'd never been despite living at nearby Althorne for a number of years in a former life. Got back home at 18.30 with 105 miles on the clock - a mere bagatelle for TG, but useful by my standards.

Already looking forward to the next one.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #389 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:32:09 pm »
Words fail me, so I'll just start with:

Stew.  Pendous.

I too have some photos, which I'll post presently; there's a danger the internet will run out of blue if too many people download them.   There were some srsly big skies today.

With the possible exception of the headwind on the church-to-Burnham bit, I can't think of anything that could have gone better.

WARTY Sporty and Naughty!

Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #390 on: 21 February, 2009, 10:07:46 pm »
Photos can be found here...
Clicky
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

annie

« Reply #391 on: 21 February, 2009, 10:37:51 pm »
Here are a few more....

Mrs Wow at the lunch stop

An interesting shot of Butterfly

Hmmm

A group shot

Wobbly John

Proud to be part of YACF

Not quite sure what was going on here.

I will put up a link to the rest tomorrow.

« Reply #392 on: 21 February, 2009, 11:51:18 pm »
Well, I'm home safe.  Probably just over 100 miles covered, thanks to Teethgrinder towing me from Bishop Stortford to Wickford, and Del for towing me from Burnham to the A130.  :thumbsup:

And of course thanks to Wowbagger for planning a great route.

Lots of photos in this album

Favourites:

Jane risking life & limb

Del

DUG

NSTN posing again

Annie

Essex does have hills!

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

annie

« Reply #393 on: 22 February, 2009, 11:20:57 am »
Yet more pics.

NSTN - Posing at the lunch stop

NSTN makes friends with the locals

Clarion and Butterfly

Teethgrinder and Wobbly John

Jane and TimO

NSTN's favourite kind of road  ;)

The rest can be found here

« Reply #394 on: 22 February, 2009, 02:56:40 pm »
Do Rower40, Clarion & Butterfly not make it on the Warty Roll of Honour?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #395 on: 22 February, 2009, 03:12:34 pm »
Do Rower40, Clarion & Butterfly not make it on the Warty Roll of Honour?

Indeed - an oversight on my part! I was really quite tired last night.

Edit: they are there now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #396 on: 22 February, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »
Some wildlife observations from yesterday:

1 hare, haring across a field by Buckhatch Lane. A woman was walking a labrador which has seen the hare and wanted to go after it.

Some honey bees. A couple near Flambird's Farm (NSTN's favourite bit of off-road) and another a bit further on.

Dead badger count: 1.

annie

« Reply #397 on: 22 February, 2009, 05:45:45 pm »
Some wildlife observations from yesterday:

1 hare, haring across a field by Buckhatch Lane. A woman was walking a labrador which has seen the hare and wanted to go after it.

Some honey bees. A couple near Flambird's Farm (NSTN's favourite bit of off-road) and another a bit further on.

Dead badger count: 1.

That badger was huuuuuge

« Reply #398 on: 22 February, 2009, 06:01:29 pm »
Don't forget the butterfly at the start of the church track. (a real one not a clarion better half butterfly)

« Reply #399 on: 22 February, 2009, 06:53:22 pm »
A few piccies from the ride, the entire set are here, although some of them are a panorama which I have yet to stitch together.

Clarion and Butterfly arriving, after some post travel tandem fettling.

The ladies, deep in discussion at our elevenes stop.

The interior of St Peters Chapel (founded by St Cedd).

NSTN patting (ahem) Annie. ;D

I'm also curious to know what is on the horizon in this image (5M image, don't click unless you're on ADSL or better).  All I can make out is a serious of white blobs, which I imagine could be the base of a bridge, the road section being to thin to be visible?
Actually, it is rocket science.