General Category > OT Knowledge

Is this homeserve deal for pipes and drainage a good deal?

(1/4) > >>

Gattopardo:
£12 a year seems cheap with nil excess.

http://www.homeserve.com/insurance/plumbing-and-drainage-cover-for-houses

Pancho:
No.

1. It's insurance. You're betting against the house. Don't do it.
2. In year 2 the price rockets - the £12 is a sucker offer.
3. Where is a copy of the contract on the website? Why's it hidden?

Asterix, the former Gaul.:
As the old saying goes, 'if it sounds too good to be true...'

Do a search on google and find the usual horror stories :o

jsabine:

--- Quote from: Pancho on 23 July, 2014, 08:05:11 am ---1. It's insurance. You're betting against the house. Don't do it.

--- End quote ---

That's a bit too absolute - it's probably worth taking insurance against catastrophic loss, where you couldn't hope to cover the costs yourself.

No real argument with anything else though, albeit a quid a month is probably worth it simply to make it some else's problem to find a plumber if you have an emergency. Cancel after the first year, natch ...

NB that you have to be an owner-occupier of a house to take out this policy - no landlords, no tenants, no flats.

ian:
The internet is biased to bad reviews of anything. People are far less likely to take the effort to write about good things. Bad things, and holy moly, they're yanking a grinked version War and Peace out of their gall bladder word by word.

We have the BG insurance. It's no way worth the cost but it does guarantee reliability. Thing breaks. Man turns up (apologies to women, but it's always been a man). I have zero fix-it skills outside the computer realm. It's also useful if you don't have the money in the bank to shell out several hundred pounds on an urgent fix.

I'm less bothered about pipes and drains though. I know where the stopcock is because I just had a new one fitted.

Central heating and hot water on the other hand. May as well be made out of quantum physics and the resolutely ineffable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version