Author Topic: Flying with a bike: Loganair  (Read 2625 times)

essexian

Flying with a bike: Loganair
« on: 16 June, 2019, 07:05:27 am »
Hi All

Does anyone have any experience of flying with a bike on Loganair.*

I have checked their website which outlines the costs and what you have to do with the bike to make it flight ready (let tyres down, turn handle bars, etc etc) but what it does not seem to say is whether the bike needs to be in a flight bag and if it does, does it need to be a hard shell or a soft shell bag: I have the latter but not the former.

Any tips etc gratefully received. I am thinking of flying from either East Midlands or Manchester... I can get to either by train

Cheers

Ian

*I ask as I have a mad idea of heading to Inverness next year for a tour should I ever be fit enough and have been mulling over my travel options.  And yes, I do agree that flying is not the best way to get around but time, cost and faff wise, it makes sense. I'll offset my carbon production someway or other if I do fly.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Flying with a bike: Loganair
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2019, 02:06:32 pm »
I've not flown with Loganair but I don't think I'd ever want to risk transporting the bike unless it was in a case of some sort.  Remember, it's not the airline that employs the baggage handlers, especially at the other end.

I have a wheeled bag with a hardened (plastic) lower section that reaches up to about axle level and a soft but padded top section. The wheels, pedals and rear mech come off and the frame sits in a metal inner frame, attached by the wheel dropouts.  I use pipe lagging and bubble wrap for extra protection.  I've travelled a fair bit with it and (touch wood) so far the only damage has been self-inflicted when I failed to bubble wrap the block properly and it scratched an exposed section of the down tube  :'(
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2019, 05:25:03 pm »
Flying bikes without a protective case is actually quite common practice, and seems to work ok in terms of damage. The CTC clear plastic bag is common. There’s a whole article here:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/bikes-public-transport/bikes-air

No idea about Loganair though.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2019, 05:37:50 pm »
How big a plane is it? I've flown several times with Loganair and the plane wasn't very big (having said that it was to the Hebrides whereas I think you are talking about "mainline" places which might be bigger.

essexian

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2019, 05:45:30 pm »
How big a plane is it? I've flown several times with Loganair and the plane wasn't very big (having said that it was to the Hebrides whereas I think you are talking about "mainline" places which might be bigger.

Doh! I didn't say did I!

I am thinking about Inverness and then doing some of the NC500.

Thanks all

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2019, 07:45:01 pm »
You will have to use a bag of some kind, even just the CTC style, but other that it doesn’t matter. There will also be an overall length limit but that will not be a problem with a standard bike. Generally the weight limit will be 25 kg. You should put any tools, lock, pump in with the bike otherwise you risk losing them at security. I know people who have put loads of other stuff with the bike ostensibly for extra protection but really to keep within the carry-on limit. Strictly this is not allowed and there is a risk you get pulled up on it. I have been questioned about the tools but they were allowed.
For packing, ignore the letting down tyres thing, they (mostly) know this is rubbish. But if you’ve got gears then detach the hanger from the frame. Also consider asking your LBS for a couple of the plastic axle things that come in the dropouts when Frames are delivered. Also a couple of rubber bands around the chain stops it tying itself in knots.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2019, 08:00:43 pm »

All Loganair aircraft except the Islander and Twin Otter can carry bicycles.  Flights from Manchester to Inverness use the 50-seat Embraer 145 jet.

« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2019, 09:16:31 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the handlers at Inverness. It's a get off plane and walk to the terminal type place where you could probably shout across to them to look after your bike.

essexian

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:35:22 pm »
Thanks all. I will phone the company to double check and report back.