Author Topic: A Bit Late For Work  (Read 40093 times)

clarion

• Tyke
A Bit Late For Work
« on: 13 November, 2008, 10:40:45 am »
Funny.  I was going to title the '999' thread 'A Bit Late Getting Home'

But this morning, I've seen a collision.  And I've seen ignorance.  And I've seen stupidity.  And I've seen the Emergency Services at their best.

There's a guy.  He rides - rode - a white Bianchi Via Nirone.  He rides - rode - about my pace from Clapham onwards.  I've seen him often.  We're almost on nodding terms, as you get with someone you spend time around on the road.  He stopped at red lights, generally indicated his movements (who does it all the time?), and he's very skilled & aware of what's going on around him.

This morning, running through Stockwell at a decent clip, we had a green light, and were somewhere about 35kph in a clear bus lane.

A Connaught truck went past me, and started to pass him.  Then it was indicating.  Then it was turning. 

An inexperienced rider woud have run into the truck side on.  The Bianchi guy swerved left into the road to evade, but there were bollards so he couldn't hop the pavement (I'm not sure he could have at the speed), and the truck, after turning in, tucked into the kerb.  It got him.  I saw him go down and under the back wheels.  I heard something break.  I saw the bike shatter.  I saw his head hitting the ground - maybe under the truck as he tucked - I don't know.

I wailed 'Noooooo!!!!  What are you doing?'

But the truck driver had stopped and was running to help the victim.

I got my phone out and dialled 9#9#9#.  I took my gloves off and dialled 999, which was more useful ;D

I got Ambulance first, and they asked lots of detail which I didn't know.  I hadn't checked the victim, just rang the nines. :-[  We got most of it sorted.   There was an Aussie guy who had been behind me (also on a Bianchi, as it happens), and was keeping traffic away, and a woman who stopped, who had first aid knowledge.  She relayed answers to me.  The victim was conscious, had moved his arm, but his right leg was a bit of a mess.  No visible external blood.

Something else happened during the phone call, but more on that later...

I'm amazed he was alive.

Paramedic arrived.  Three LAS vehicles arrived, but only the biggest stayed, along with the paramedic, who helped.

A Police vehicle arrived.  They started taking details, but realised they were going to have to close the road, so taped it off.  They seem to have brought a civilian woman with them.  A mediator?  I dunno, but she spent a long time talking with the Connaught guys (there was a second truck there too).

Then the Police rang me back, saying I'd hung up.  Well, I had, because the Paramedic had advised on the phone that I didn't need to speak to the Police because they were already aware.  Snotty operator, but I gave her the ID of the car attending, and she had no idea what I was talking about.  Never mind - one slip by the Emergency Services in all this is OK.

The guy was strapped to a board and taken away, with his ruined bike.  I don't know his name, and I don't know where he was taken, and I wish I'd found out do I could send him a card, but I guess no one's allowed to tell me :(

I hope to see him back on the road, but I don't know if I will :(

Statements taken, the Aussie & I rode off, both reflective.

Now I'm feeling tearful, and the image of Bianchi guy going under the wheels is right there in my mind constantly.
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
Re: A Bit Late For Work
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:43:36 am »
How horrible.  I hope he's okay. 

The police might tell you where he is (when I saw the guy get attacked on his bike, they told me which hospital he'd gone to).

« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:45:44 am »
'kinnell clarion, what a crap 24 hours you have had. It's Friday tomorrow, don't ride your bike. Take some time off to gather your thoughts. I feel for the guy who was hit, I feel for you sir. 

Che

« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:47:29 am »
A friend of mine went under the wheels of a lorry -- more than a year ago now -- after a left hook. He was very broken, but has now fully recovered. All possible appendages crossed for this guy.

« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:51:11 am »
Oh god, Clarion, that must been awful. Well done for keeping calm and calling 999 and generally doing what you could. Be gentle with yourself now, that must have been quite a shock.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:52:48 am »
There are two things I need to add to this.

Firstly - remember I mentioned something happened while I was on the phone to the Ambulance Service?

Here's what it was.

Another Connaught employee walked up, waving a newspaper around with an article about how cyclists shouldn't go up the inside of trucks.  The others around told him to put it away (including the driver in the incident).  Then he shoved it in my face.  I told him I was trying to talk to the emergency services.  I told him that wasn't happened.  I told him it was distasteful.  he didn't back off, and was shouting in my face.  I apologised to the LAS, then held the phone away and asked him again to back off while I spoke to them.  He hit me with the newspaper.

He hit me.  Not only was he trying to justify injuring an innocent cyclist in an incident that two witnesses saw.  Not only was he interfering with a call to the emergency services to get help for the poor lad, but he fucking hit me!

So why had the incident happened?  Well, the truck driver simply 'hadn't seen him'.

Bollocks.  Of course he had seen him.  But, as Bianchi Guy had gone out of his field of vision, he had clearly ceased to exist.

Didn't see him.  Hmmm.  Is that an admisison of careless driving, I wonder?
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:53:41 am »
How awful for you, hope he's OK

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:55:09 am »
'kinnell clarion, what a crap 24 hours you have had. It's Friday tomorrow, don't ride your bike. Take some time off to gather your thoughts. I feel for the guy who was hit, I feel for you sir. 

You're one of a few among us who know what it's like to have an off and an injury.  But, you know what?  I'm going to ride my bike home tonight.  And I'm going to ride in tomorrow morning.

Cause if I don't, I'm afraid I might not get on it ever again.  And I'd never forgive myself.
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:58:05 am »

You're one of a few among us who know what it's like to have an off and an injury.  But, you know what?  I'm going to ride my bike home tonight.  And I'm going to ride in tomorrow morning.

Cause if I don't, I'm afraid I might not get on it ever again.  And I'd never forgive myself.

Good for you  :thumbsup:

spindrift

« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:00:32 am »
Gos, Clarion,  did you get in touch with Conaught? What the freaking freak was that bod thinking of?

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:02:56 am »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A few years ago I used to commute from the far side of Bingley into Bradford ,I witnessed a lady on a bike t boned about 50 yards ahead of me .I rang the emergency services ,waited for ambliance and gave BiB a statement .I got to work late and a bit ruffled ,I was wrongly expecting a bit of sympathy what I got was that maybe(for my own safety) I shouldnt be cycling into the office ,this suggestion only served to make me determined to carry on.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:03:09 am »
Clarion,

when a bit of time has passed and the shakes and red mist have receded - write to the lorry company and tell them what happened.

« Reply #12 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:03:59 am »
Cause if I don't, I'm afraid I might not get on it ever again.  And I'd never forgive myself.
Good for you sir. But for heavens sake take care.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:04:23 am »
Oh bollocks  :(

My immediate reactions:

Firstly, this:  ***hugs to Clarion***

Secondly, this: ***incandescent anger at truck driver***

I hope the police nicked him, I hope the CPS prosecute and I hope they call you as a witness.  Any chance they will?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:04:54 am »
Good grief Clarion, you really are getting an unfair share of the crap at the moment. I hope you can take a real break this weekend and be kind to yourself, you deserve it.

Well done for dealing with this so well. As for the guy with the newspaper, I'd like to think he was in shock or some kind of denial that made him behave so appallingly but I fear he may just be an idiot. He's luck he picked on you, many would have laid into him I suspect.

Best wishes to the poor guy who went down.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:12:06 am »
I think there will be a prosecution.  I'd be flippin surprised and this: >:(  if there isn't.  It's appalling.

I have no doubt that Connaught already know about the incident.  The driver responsible said quite early on that he would make a report.  And the Police will be following up.  Besides - two trucks out of action for an hour?  The dispatcher was probably hopping up & down.

I should probably complain to them about the assault.  But it's hard to take it seriously - hit with a fucking newspaper, FFS! ;D  The Police Officer said it was Common Assault, and, despite no visible or lasting injury, it's still an assault, and that I could make a complaint if I changed my mind.  There's the tape of the phone call, as well, which contains my surprised amd quite funny comment 'I've just been assaulted!'.  Is it worth that, though?  I think they're gonna have a word with the weasel, and mention that I could choose to complain, which might just shit him up enough.
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:15:22 am »
Assault is making you fear that you might be hit.  Actual hitting is battery.  So although it sounds a bit silly to complain of assault because he hit you with a newspaper, I would actually pursue it.  You know now that he wasn't going to do you any damage but I bet you didn't know that at the time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:16:53 am »
I just thought he was a fucking pillock at the time.  And there was an Aussie younger, stronger, and fitter than me stood close by. But I know what you mean...

*ponders*
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:17:54 am »
My gosh - I don't really know what to say except to say that you did your best under those terrible circumstances. Please could you report that stupid Connaught ar*ehole - that was assault and unprovoked.

alan

« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:19:19 am »
Now I'm feeling tearful, and the image of Bianchi guy going under the wheels is right there in my mind constantly.

You are suffering from shock.Get some treatment for it(from your place of work perhaps?).The priority now is your own best interests having experienced all the sh*t you have shovelled in the past 24hrs or less.
Be kind to yourself

« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:20:36 am »
I read this thread, left it, with a sad, sick feeling in my stomach. I've returned to it feeling very sorry for all involved especially the injured cyclist, the witnesses (and even some sorrow for the lorry driver who will now have to face the knowledge and consequences of his actions).

Clarion, I would make some notes about what happened with the other Connaught employee and would not contact Connaught as others suggested. I would contact the police with details. His behaviour sounds like something that would be construed as 'interfering with emergency services', 'attempting to pervert the course of justice' or such-like.

Richard
"Only the cyclist knows why the dog rides with its head out the window"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:25:05 am »
As RichMoss said - don't contact Connaught. Remeber they

1) employ a driver who can forget he has just overtaken a cyclist
2) employ a driver that hits people with a newspaper
3) do not appear to have effectively informed their drivers about their responsibilities towards other road users.
It is simpler than it looks.

alan

« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:26:02 am »
Assault is making you fear that you might be hit.  Actual hitting is battery.  So although it sounds a bit silly to complain of assault because he hit you with a newspaper, I would actually pursue it.  You know now that he wasn't going to do you any damage but I bet you didn't know that at the time.
Wot Liz said(see her sig. line) +1.
Is there likely to be a CCTV recording of the incident,including the Barbarianwithanewspaper?

spindrift

« Reply #23 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:26:05 am »
'attempting to pervert the course of justice

I agree, wtf was he thinking, wtf does the article have to do with anything?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 13 November, 2008, 11:28:55 am »
There's a third thing.

I stood on a corner (freezing) of the A3 for about an hour while everything was going on.

What did I see?  

1.  Lots of cyclists going past, several of whom stopped to offer help, including a doctor.  Thanks to all of you. :thumbsup:

2.  Drivers trying to get into the road past the prone victim and his broken machine.

3.  When the LAS vehicle blocked the road entrance, cars still tried to push round

4.  On seeing the right turn into Dorset Street wasn't available, motorist doing a U-turn on a busy A road

5.  A Mercedes slowing down, pulling into a group of about a dozen cyclists without indicating, so he could get a good look, then, without indicating, pulling out again.

6.  Three schoolkids standing on the corner watching 'Cause he looks like our teacher'.  He may have done, but I doubt he was.  I advised them (in best Youth Worker Mode) to move on.

7.  When the road was reopened, a left hook by a white van causing a cyclist to have to skid to a stop.  Unfortunately, the Police were busy about 50m away when that one happened

8.  As an Officer was stood on the corner, a lorry drove over the kerb, all but scraping the bollard.  If he hadn't been busy taking a statement, he mentioned he'd have pulled that driver.

9.  Loads more stupid and dangerous driving.  You get the picture...
Getting there...