Author Topic: Tales of a NOW EX-Sustrans NCN Volunteer Ranger  (Read 34359 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Tales of a NOW EX-Sustrans NCN Volunteer Ranger
« on: 03 May, 2008, 06:15:39 pm »
I started, and indeed am maintaining a similar thread on ACF but thought I would start a thread here as well.  This because most of the local ACF people have permanently moved here.

[Edit: the ACF thread is no longer being updated as I am not a member there now]

A quick recap.  Sustrans and the National Cycle Network sometimes get a bad press.  Sometimes the criticism is warranted.  I decided to find out for myself what the true story was.  And in some small way try and change things for the better, in my locality at least.  So in February this year, I signed up to be a Volunteer Ranger. 

Thus far my duties have been far from onerous and involved riding bikes and visiting pubs along the way  ;D  My plan is to update both threads with my exploits so others might have the opportunity to form their own opinions on Sustrans and the NCN.

Today myself, The Current Mrs R and Twinkle Toes went out on our first signing ride.  Our first objective is to connect our home town of Witham (Essex) to the nearby NCN Routes 1 and 16.  Today, using sticky signs, we connected Witham to NCN1 so you can now ride out to the main NCN1 route and turn left to Tiptree or right to Wickham Bishops and Maldon.

It was all very straightforward and enjoyable.  We then had a pub lunch at The Green Man, Little Braxted.

The next task is to sign the routes through Witham.

Re: Tales of a Sustrans NCN Volunteer Ranger
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2008, 11:00:58 pm »
Fantastic work OD. :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2008, 11:04:27 pm »
The Green Man, Little Braxted, makes a fine Service Area for the users of Sustrans route.

You know how, on motorways, there's a sort of pictorial shorthand for the services on offer?

How do you depict a Pickled Egg?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:20:43 am »
The Green Man, Little Braxted, makes a fine Service Area for the users of Sustrans route.

You know how, on motorways, there's a sort of pictorial shorthand for the services on offer?

How do you depict a Pickled Egg?

An interesting challenge Wow, I shall apply my mind to it. 

The Green Man at Little Braxted does have a CTC "Cyclists Welcome" sticker in the window so we are part way there in pictorial shorthands.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:21:13 am »

Fank you.  One does ones best  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:54:59 am »

[OT] I liked your article in the tandem club magazine. :D We've just joined. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:29:32 pm »

[OT] I liked your article in the tandem club magazine. :D We've just joined. :thumbsup:

Thank you again.  I am now claiming to be a published author.  The next step is to be a paid and published author.

The Tandem Club is ace and the subs are so low its practically free.  The mag, now in colour is always a good read.  Our little article as eclipsed by one in the previous issue by a family of three who toured Dartmoor on a Thorn triplet.

If God is in His heaven we are going on a little tour this August so I hope to write about that.

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2008, 12:08:09 pm »
... Our first objective is to connect our home town of Witham (Essex) to the nearby NCN Routes 1 and 16.  Today, using sticky signs, we connected Witham to NCN1 so you can now ride out to the main NCN1 route and turn left to Tiptree or right to Wickham Bishops and Maldon.

It's fantastic work and good news... but one serious question that has just sprung to my mind.

As "somebody who's just discovered cycling" who is planning on "cycling" through that area I would be planning on using cycle routes.  How do I find out that you have erected sticky labels on the posts?  The OS maps show the Sustrans routes, and are my preferred mapping guide, but how will you get them updated?    Will this new route you've signed be appearing on Sustrans website?

And, assuming I was simply out for a ride in that general direction and came across the start of your route, how would I go about knowing where it goes?   You say in your text that it's south of Witham on the roads between the existing NCN1 and Tiptree/Wickham Bishops and Maldon but the sticker is NCN16 - which my OS map shows as being to the North of Witham ???   (OS map shows NCN 1 as being in Tiptree, Maldon and Witham)

NB - These are serious points and not a criticism of your work or sustrans.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2008, 03:43:24 pm »
... Our first objective is to connect our home town of Witham (Essex) to the nearby NCN Routes 1 and 16.  Today, using sticky signs, we connected Witham to NCN1 so you can now ride out to the main NCN1 route and turn left to Tiptree or right to Wickham Bishops and Maldon.

It's fantastic work and good news... but one serious question that has just sprung to my mind.

As "somebody who's just discovered cycling" who is planning on "cycling" through that area I would be planning on using cycle routes.  How do I find out that you have erected sticky labels on the posts?  The OS maps show the Sustrans routes, and are my preferred mapping guide, but how will you get them updated?    Will this new route you've signed be appearing on Sustrans website?

And, assuming I was simply out for a ride in that general direction and came across the start of your route, how would I go about knowing where it goes?   You say in your text that it's south of Witham on the roads between the existing NCN1 and Tiptree/Wickham Bishops and Maldon but the sticker is NCN16 - which my OS map shows as being to the North of Witham ???   (OS map shows NCN 1 as being in Tiptree, Maldon and Witham)

NB - These are serious points and not a criticism of your work or sustrans.

Good questions Nutty which deserve a considered response.  I will do my best, here goes …

The route we signed on Saturday was one that had already been determined by Sustrans and we simply stuck up the signs.  Someone wishing to use it should be able see the orientation of the route on Sustran’s website, cycle out to it and simply pick up the signs and start following them.  However, the site shows the route we signed on Saturday as “proposed” so I need to get in touch with HQ and get them to update the web site.  I guess they can also inform the OS so their maps can be updated.  Part of my grand plan is to have the route signed right into Witham town centre and have a “destination sign” placed somewhere obvious so the signs themselves should increase awareness and usage.

However, I want to sign a new on-road route directly into Witham.  I am trying to find out who at Sustran’s HQ can add this to their webby.

I think the reality of the situation is that the proactive local Ranger or Ranger Group has to ensure that all the elements (web site, OS maps and signs are all aligned).  Personally, I find this prospect fascinating as one of the things that get my juices flowing is to discover how much a single person can do to influence massive things that you’d think were immoveable – and I’m not just taking about cycling.  Thus far, my 44 years on this earth have shown one person can change quite a lot of stuff, but I digress.

As an on-topic aside, my enthusiasm got unexpected boost last week when I used the A12 for a return car trip to Ipswich.  On the outward trip I passed two cycle tourists, loaded with panniers cycling up the pavement / cycle path that runs along side the A12.  On the way back I saw another “proper” cyclist doing the same.  If only they knew there was a signed, quiet, scenic route just a couple of miles away that they could have probably used (depending on their actually destination).

iakobski

« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2008, 04:16:20 pm »
As an on-topic aside, my enthusiasm got unexpected boost last week when I used the A12 for a return car trip to Ipswich.  On the outward trip I passed two cycle tourists, loaded with panniers cycling up the pavement / cycle path that runs along side the A12.  On the way back I saw another “proper” cyclist doing the same.  If only they knew there was a signed, quiet, scenic route just a couple of miles away that they could have probably used (depending on their actually destination).

Well done for doing this! I'm in two minds about Sustrans and am slightly tempted to volunteer as a ranger.

Your description above reminds me of my main gripe about the local NCN route. It seems deliberately contrived to take in any cycle paths that exist even where the road alternative is better. One section takes in about 2-3 km of scabby footpath alongside a trunk route, and then crosses the A road at a bend so it can use 100 metres of closed road. There are two obvious alternatives: one along a quiet, wide, smooth B-road, the other takes in a couple of single-track roads with stunning views and rarely any motorised traffic at all.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10 on: 07 May, 2008, 10:31:56 am »

Well done for doing this! I'm in two minds about Sustrans and am slightly tempted to volunteer as a ranger.

Your description above reminds me of my main gripe about the local NCN route. It seems deliberately contrived to take in any cycle paths that exist even where the road alternative is better. One section takes in about 2-3 km of scabby footpath alongside a trunk route, and then crosses the A road at a bend so it can use 100 metres of closed road. There are two obvious alternatives: one along a quiet, wide, smooth B-road, the other takes in a couple of single-track roads with stunning views and rarely any motorised traffic at all.

First up, to be clear, the path by the side of the A12 is not a Sustrans route. 

I would agree with your point, there are few things worse than cycle routes that wander off for the sake of using a traffic free path when there is a more direct on-road route that is perfectly suitable.  This sort of nonsense was one of the things I wanted to find out about and was one of the reasons I signed up as a Ranger. 

Again, I think it is down to the local Rangers or Ranger Groups and I have already come across an example of this in my short Ranger career.  One of the routes into Witham is far from direct yet largely traffic free, I don't particularly like it.  When I met up with Alan, my local Sustrans Area Manager, we discussed this.  We agreed that I would sign the in-direct route but also give cyclists a direct, on road route that isn't traffic free.  Once both routes are properly signed riders will have a choice.  I felt this was a neat solution and kept everyone happy.

« Reply #11 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:13:03 am »

I recall a conversation my dad relayed to me.  He was cycle touring up near Harwich (I think) and met a couple of Dutch cycle tourers.  They got chatting and he passed onto them the information from his OS map that a sustrans route existed nearby and ran in the direction they wanted to go.  The response?  "No, it is a cycle route and so therefore too slow for us, we will use the main road" - which if it's the location I think it is would have been the very busy A120.

.....We agreed that I would sign the in-direct route but also give cyclists a direct, on road route that isn't traffic free.  Once both routes are properly signed riders will have a choice.  I felt this was a neat solution and kept everyone happy.

A good solution indeed - as long as the signage is clear and the on road route is advertised on the off road route and vice versa ;)   (Something I've been pushing for in discussions re a major road scheme here is for a sturdy vandal proof map to be erected at the main junction to show cyclists their options.)

iakobski

« Reply #12 on: 07 May, 2008, 12:15:49 pm »
First up, to be clear, the path by the side of the A12 is not a Sustrans route. 

Yes, sorry, I realised that. Your route sounds good, ours is poor.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:30:27 am »
Dear me, the pressures of being a NCN Volunteer Ranger are taking their toll.  I not sure whether I have the required staying power!  ;D

Friday evening saw us out and about again.  I wanted to augment some of the signing we did during the first May Bank Holiday.  It was tough, I had to climb over a fence and wade about in stinging nettles.  We added two destination patches as shown below, pretty huh?

We also stuck up a couple more signs making the junction easier to use (Route 1 and 16 meet at this point) as there was scope for confusion.

The best bit was I got to use my new Leatherman Surge multi-tool to cut down undergrowth that was obscuring our beautiful signs.  I still have all my fingers  :o

We then adjourned to The Chequers at Wickham Bishops for restorative alcohol and dinner ...

In all we cycled 10 miles and had a smashing time.  Quite why Sustrans don't have a waiting list of people wanting to become Rangers is a mystery.

« Reply #14 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:03:21 am »
The cost of a Leatherman Surge could be a stumbling block for some people ??

Dave

« Reply #15 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:06:46 am »
Quite why Sustrans don't have a waiting list of people wanting to become Rangers is a mystery.

So, how does one go about signing up to become a volunteer Ranger?

iakobski

« Reply #16 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:14:04 am »
Quite why Sustrans don't have a waiting list of people wanting to become Rangers is a mystery.

So, how does one go about signing up to become a volunteer Ranger?

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1150127227195

« Reply #17 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:24:06 am »
Of course, your work is admirable, Oscar's. But there are many parts of route one in the SE that need sorting out!

I see quite a few Europeans passing through town using the route. I always feel sorry for them as the signing north of Chelmsford is shocking! How anyone who isn't from the area can navigate to wherever they're going by using Sustrans maps or signs is unimaginable.

Last weekend I cycled on "The 1" through Kent. It was shit. I reckon we put on an extra 25 miles at least after signs pointed us one way, then another and then vanished.

I'll leave that there as the amount of swearing and frustration will almost certainly leave me keyboard in bits.

Of course, I fully understand that you have to plan your route and take a map - but if Sustrans are going to advertise their routes as simple, follow the signs type thing - they need to do it better.

Oh, can you also put a "N" or "S, "E" or "W" on the signs? When you inevitably get lost in an absolute shithole like Harlow or those God awful towns in Kent, you see a sign but have absolutely no idea which direction it's pointing you towards!

End of rant  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

iakobski

« Reply #19 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:44:27 pm »
But there are many parts of route one in the SE that need sorting out!

Can I respectfully refer you to post #16 ^^

;)

Pete

« Reply #20 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:57:35 pm »
Sorry to be a bit negative here.

Two years ago in a rash moment, I took it upon myself, not merely to cycle up to London for a CM, but also to try and pick my way along a NCN (no. 23 I think it was) as it wended its way north from Croydon through Crystal Palace, Dulwich, etc.

I failed.  I missed a turn and got hopelessly lost.  Eventually I found myself emerging on one of the main arterials into central London, and was still able to make CM on time.  In spite of, and no thanks to, NCN.  On all subsequent rides north from Croydon, I've simply gone straight up the A23.

I blamed poor signage.  The maps I had on me were simply not detailed enough.  If one turn sign for a NCN is absent, and you don't know the area, you will lose the NCN, and no amount of subsequent correct signage will make up for it.

So it looks like, the work you're putting in is most welcome and not before time!  If this situation has been, or is being addressed, well and good.  Hopefully I'll then be able to be more positive about the NCNs.

« Reply #21 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:26:21 pm »
God bless Sustrans and the NCN and all those who volunteer, and all that, etc. Obviously, what they are trying to achieve is admirable and worthy of praise. And it seems to me that progress is being made all the time - and maybe one day we'll even catch up with the rest of continental Europe! But there's some way to go. As bobb said up-thread, the route 1 from Gravesend down through Kent is bollocks - contradictory signs, or even completely lacking and ridiculous round-about routes. If you're thinking of cycling through unfamiliar territory and planning to follow the NCN you really need to do a bit of map study first and maybe even make some notes. I need to cycle from Essex to Dover in July and after my recent experience on route 1 I'm thinking of just sticking to the A roads - it ain't pretty but I'll get there directly, without getting lost and in a faster time.

rr

« Reply #22 on: 02 June, 2008, 02:43:26 pm »
We also stuck up a couple more signs making the junction easier to use (Route 1 and 16 meet at this point) as there was scope for confusion.

Thanks, I followed them on Saturday morning

Oscar's dad

« Reply #23 on: 02 June, 2008, 02:56:33 pm »
Greetings folks.  I do like it when a post you lovingly tap out prompts lots of other posts.  I guess I'm just an attention seeker, my mother obviously failed to cure me of this objectionable trait.

Firstly, a Leatherman Surge is not a prerequisite to being a Volunteer Ranger.  I picked mine up in the States recently so the exchange rate made it affordable.  I have no idea why I need one.

The idea of the National Cycle Network is that cyclists simply follow the signs and don't need maps or any other form of navigational aid.  Clearly, is requires clear signs and in many parts of the country the signage is pants. As far as I can see good signs are reliant on one or both the factors below:

1. Local authorities erecting permanent signs.  Many authorities don't for a variety of reasons, even though I gather they are legally obliged to do so.
2. Volunteer Rangers erecting temporary signs.  There aren't Rangers in every part of the country.  Volunteers are eagerly sought.  Even when Rangers do put up signs they sometimes get taken down, not sure by who.

So, I am doing my bit to help.  I only cover a small part of the network.  If you want to volunteer then do so.  Its a giggle. It is very easy to make a difference in your neck of the woods.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #24 on: 02 June, 2008, 02:57:21 pm »

Thanks, I followed them on Saturday morning

Brilliant!  I am well chuffed!