Author Topic: Tales of a NOW EX-Sustrans NCN Volunteer Ranger  (Read 34381 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Tales of a Sustrans NCN Volunteer Ranger
« Reply #125 on: 22 December, 2008, 09:32:30 am »
I am the solitary National Cycle Network Volunteer Ranger in Witham.  Here is a Lone Ranger joke that made me laugh just now ...

The Lone Ranger was ambushed and captured by an enemy Indian war party. The Indian Chief proclaims "So, you are the great Lone Ranger.  In honour of the Harvest Festival, you will be executed in three days.  Before I kill you, I grant you three requests.  What is your first request?"
The Lone Ranger responds, "I'd like to speak to my horse"
The Chief nods and Silver is brought before the Lone Ranger who whispers in Silver's ear, and the horse gallops away.  Later that evening, Silver returns with a beautiful blonde woman on his back.  As the Indian Chief watches, the blonde enters the Lone Ranger's tent and spends the night.

The next morning the Indian Chief admits he's impressed.
"You have a very fine and loyal horse, but I will still kill you in two days.  What is your second request?"
The Lone Ranger again asks to speak to his horse.  Silver is brought to him, and he again whispers in the horse's ear.  As before, Silver takes off and disappears over the horizon.  Later that evening, to the Chief's surprise, Silver again returns, this time with a voluptuous brunette, more attractive than the blonde. She enters the Lone Ranger's tent and spends the night.

The following morning the Indian Chief is again impressed.  "You are indeed a man of many talents, but I will still kill you tomorrow.  What is your last request?"
The Lone Ranger responds, "I'd like to speak to my horse - alone."
The Chief is curious, but he agrees, and Silver is brought to the Lone Ranger's tent. Once they're alone, the Lone Ranger grabs Silver by both ears, looks him square in the eye and says, "Listen very carefully - for .... the .... last ....f**king time, I said .....BRING POSSE!!!"

Oscar's dad

« Reply #126 on: 05 February, 2009, 09:19:21 am »
A quick update ...

1. Witham Town Council have agreed to fund permanent NCN signage along the River Walk.  The Town Clerk has been brilliant, she deserves some sort of medal!

2. Myself and Dave the Braintree Ranger have signed thru Great Notley Country Park and onto the Flitch Way.  The ECC Rangers at Great Notley Country Park have been brilliant too.

3. Therefore, we are within a gnat's cock of having a continuously signed route from Great Dunmow to where Route 16 joins Route 1 at Wickham Bishops.  This will be a super ride.

4. One of our next objectives will be to sort signage in Great Dunmow so this will extend the signed route to Stansted.

We have established some excellent and strategically important relationships and on the back of these relationships we have built up real momentum.  2009 looks like being a very exciting year.

The upshot of this work will be that cyclists in this area, be they experienced or not, particularly families cycling with kids, will have loads of clearly signed routes to follow.  I can think of only one 0.5 mile section of road that is remotely busy.  All the other routes follow quiet country lanes or traffic free paths.  The routes are reasonably direct as well. 

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #127 on: 05 February, 2009, 09:44:18 am »
The upshot of this work will be that cyclists in this area, be they experienced or not, particularly families cycling with kids, will have loads of clearly signed routes to follow.  I can think of only one 0.5 mile section of road that is remotely busy.  All the other routes follow quiet country lanes or traffic free paths.  The routes are reasonably direct as well. 

That's really good.
It would be really cool if you could map these routes on open street map.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Oscar's dad

« Reply #128 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:07:00 am »

That's really good.
It would be really cool if you could map these routes on open street map.

..d

Yes, I will eventually.  Time is the issue as there is so much else to do, not just NCN stuff but family and earning a living!  I could have so much fun just mucking about with the NCN but they won't pay me - tragic!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #129 on: 02 October, 2009, 04:43:18 pm »
I am still Rangering away though haven't done much over the summer, there has been so much else to do.  Now autumn is nearly here and the diary isn't so packed I can pull on the hi-vis jacket and get the sticky signs out again. 

More updates soon.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #130 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:46:11 am »
Sustrans have updated the National Cycle Network website (not before time).  The mapping works better than before.

CLICKY

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #131 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:51:59 am »
Sustrans have updated the National Cycle Network website (not before time).  The mapping works better than before.

CLICKY

You mean it now actually works?!?!?  :o

:P ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

« Reply #132 on: 08 November, 2009, 11:22:36 am »

CLICKY

Yes, but only if you are stood knee deep in gravel, stinging nettles and miles from the most direct route to your destination  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #133 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »
Back in December we held a 2010 planning session for our Ranger Group.  Here is the outcome of the meeting ...

Date of meeting: 12th December 2009

Present: Dave the Braintree Ranger and myself

Before focusing on 2010 it might be useful to look at how successful we were in achieving our 2009 objectives:

-  Work with Witham Town Council (WTC) to install signage along the River Walk - ACHIEVED
-  Finish signing the rest of Witham - ACHIEVED
-  Sign the Witham to Maldon route - ACHIEVED
-  Complete signing the Witham to Notley Green / Great Notley Country Park / Flitch Way route - ACHIEVED
-  Build links with WTC - ACHIEVED
-  Organise a ride in Witham to promote NCN – ACHIEVED (MAYOR’S SPONSORED RIDE)
-  Contact the local press to promote the NCN local to Witham – CARRIED OVER TO 2010
-  Sign Great Dunmow thus linking the two halves of the Flitch Way - ACHIEVED
-  Join other Rangers groups in forging closer links with Essex CC and Braintree DC – ON-GOING
-  Investigate signing  the route down to Southend – NOT ACHIEVED
-  Work with WTC to promote cycling in the town and surrounding area beyond the NCN – CARRIED OVER TO 2010
-  Investigate how the Blackwater Rail Trail can be improved to form a more viable part of the NCN – ON-GOING
-  Setup a Braintree / Witham / Maldon Ranger Group - ACHIEVED

And now turning to 2010:

It was agreed that apart from maintaining the NCN signage in our area, the main thrust of our activities in 2010 should be to encourage more people, particularly families to cycle regularly, both on and off the NCN.  We concluded that signed routes promote more cycling: if people see route signs they might be encouraged to try the route believing it to be a safer option.  Once cyclists gain confidence on signed routes they will hopefully devise their own routes.  

With this is in mind, we aim to undertake the following objectives during 2010:
1. Network objectives:
   - Maintain existing signage
   - Work with the Chelmsford group to resolve the issues between Chelmsford and Maldon (now that we have signed Witham to Maldon)
   - Resolve the Great Dunmow “plank” problem

2. Work with WTC to devise and sign a range of circular cycle routes starting and finishing in the town.  Use the NCN where possible but also use other roads where appropriate.  Contact has already been made with WTC and the Environment Committee is considering the plan.

3. Approach Braintree DC and propose an initiative similar to the Witham plan above mentioned.

4. Approach Essex CC and investigate whether we could sign some of the routes described in the "Cycle Essex" pack of regional cycle maps (ISBN978-0-952185-1-4).  This objective might incorporate objectives 2 and 3 partly or in full.

5. Support William's (Great Dunmow Ranger) plan to sign Regional Route 50.

6. Lead one or more rides in the Witham, Braintree, Great Dunmow, Maldon and Tiptree areas.

7. Engage the local press to promote NCN.

8. Forge closer links with other Ranger groups and local authorities.

There is a Ranger meeting in Chelmsford on 6th February and I will take these objectives along for wider discussion.

It was a shame that only myself and Dave attended the planning meeting and it is Dave and myself that have done the bulk of the work during 2009.  I guess this is often the way with voluntary work, a hardcore of people do most of the work.

That said, we've had a great time.  We've done some super cycling, met some smashing people and sunk a few nice pints.  And we feel we've achieved something.  2009 was far from a chore and 2010 should be a giggle too.  If it isn't we're doing something wrong!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #134 on: 09 January, 2010, 04:56:20 pm »
All I've had is an email saying "must meet up". I responded but heard nothing.

I've got the invitation to the Chelmsford do but quite frankly I din't know if I can be arsed, the Southend group obviously either don't need any assistance or don't give a shit!   :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #135 on: 09 January, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »

I've got the invitation to the Chelmsford do but quite frankly I din't know if I can be arsed, the Southend group obviously either don't need any assistance or don't give a shit!   :-\

That's a shame Fatters. I guess as with all things it comes down to the people involved.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #136 on: 09 January, 2010, 10:05:39 pm »

On that note - the white fingerpost here, on which so much blue signage was dependent for support, is no more.  Looks like someone came too fast to the T junction from the Langford/Wickham Bishops direction, slid on the ice and flattened it.

It must've happened between about 13:00 and 15:00 today since I'm reasonably sure it wasn't down when I drove out for a sledging expedition earlier, but I noticed it in pieces on my way home.

You may need to revisit once the signpost is replaced/repaired.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #137 on: 09 January, 2010, 11:35:32 pm »

That's a shame Fatters. I guess as with all things it comes down to the people involved.

I read it that they sent the invite before actually knowing what they were letting themselves in for.

:-*

H

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #138 on: 10 January, 2010, 12:00:06 am »

CLICKY

Yes, but only if you are stood knee deep in gravel, stinging nettles and miles from the most direct route to your destination  ;D

And only if you can find it. I clicked on "online mapping" and found a lovely page telling me how to use the map - but no link to the map. Unless I'm being stupid.

« Reply #139 on: 10 January, 2010, 07:36:37 am »
Half way down the 'Online mapping' page under the big heading that says 'How to get started':

To get started just enter a postcode, town name, region or route you're interested in. Type the information in the appropriate box labelled 'Search our mapping' that appears throughout the website, then click 'Find' to view an appropriate overview map.

It seems reasonable to me.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #140 on: 10 January, 2010, 02:37:53 pm »

On that note - the white fingerpost here, on which so much blue signage was dependent for support, is no more.  Looks like someone came too fast to the T junction from the Langford/Wickham Bishops direction, slid on the ice and flattened it.

It must've happened between about 13:00 and 15:00 today since I'm reasonably sure it wasn't down when I drove out for a sledging expedition earlier, but I noticed it in pieces on my way home.

You may need to revisit once the signpost is replaced/repaired.

Oops!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #141 on: 08 February, 2010, 12:11:53 pm »
I went to a NCN Ranger Day in Chelmsford on Saturday.  Although I went with an open mind I have to say my expectations were quite low, having never attended such an event before.  That said, I was pleasantly surprised.  What happened ...

About 20 Rangers met at Chelmsford railway station and went for a pleasant 60 minute ride out along Route 1.

Then we went to a meeting room by Chelmsford cathedral for lunch and the meeting proper started.

Julie the Volunteer Co-ordinator took us through Sustrans' general aims and all their various projects - interesting stuff.

Then Nigel the East of England Director took us through some of the projects in our region including the Connect2 projects. Interestingly, he said that C2 funding (from the Lottery) only gets paid out when a project completes and is signed off.  This prevents funding being wasted on projects that never quite make it.  If a project does fall by the wayside there is a reserve list of projects that can fill the gap.  A sensible arrangement I thought. 

I made the point that although these projects were very good they can take a long time to complete. Therefore we should be more supportive of the least worst option as a temporary interim measure.  Not sure that Nigel entirely agreed.

Then Rosemary, Essex County Council's Cycling Infrastructure Officer took us through what Essex CC had to offer.  Rosemary has held this role before but left only to return recently.  I am fairly certain she is the lady several old hands have raved about and she certainly seemed very capable.  She admitted that Essex was behind other counties in terms of cycle provision and she seems determined to do something about it.  She gave us her contact details and I have already e-mailed her with a few things we need sorting - like the Great Dunmow Flitch Way plank.  We will soon see what she can deliver.

Then each Ranger Group presented what they had done in 2009 and wanted to achieve in 2010.

The meeting closed at about 3pm so me un my mate Dave the Braintree Ranger popped into the Railway Tavern for a cheeky pint.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #142 on: 28 March, 2010, 12:33:15 pm »
Vandals 0  Nice People 1 ...

Last year Witham Town Council agreed to pay for the permanent signing of NCN route 16 along the River Walk, a linear park that runs through the town following the course of the River Brain.  The centre piece of the scheme was this magnificent finger sign:

Within 3 nights the local vandals had ripped off the fingers.  WTC agreed to pay for a replacement which is now in place.  Not as grand as the finger sign but hopefully vandal proof:

Well done WTC, if only all local authorities were like you.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #143 on: 28 March, 2010, 03:06:29 pm »
Can you have a word with Sustrans about what SBC are doing to NCN16?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #144 on: 29 March, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
Vandals 0  Nice People 1 ...

Well done WTC, if only all local authorities were like you.

Yay!  Nice!
 :thumbsup:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

Re: Tales of an Ex Sustrans NCN Volunteer Ranger
« Reply #145 on: 25 September, 2013, 10:23:56 am »
I'm a bit bored waiting for a meeting to start so I thought I'd update this thread.

I left Sustrans a couple of years ago.  They found another volunteer ranger to cover my patch and I even went out one evening to show him around.  As far as I can see he has done very little and the NCN signs I put up in the area are slowly disappearing.  I just shows how reliant the NCN is on local volunteers, this is it's major downfall and the reason why it will never truly be a national network of any value.

The Facebook group I started (link in my sig line) to promote the NCN and the led rides we ran continued in existence after I finished with Sustrans.  We now have over 100 members and pick up new ones each week.  In June Witham Cycling affiliated to the CTC so we had insurance cover to run led rides again.  Myself, Huggy of this parish and another chap have led half a dozen rides since we sorted ourselves with the CTC.  My ride on Monday night had 7 riders and feedback has been good. 

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Tales of a NOW EX-Sustrans NCN Volunteer Ranger
« Reply #146 on: 25 September, 2013, 10:38:50 am »
Sad to hear about your good work not being kept up, but the development of the rides can only be a good thing.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #147 on: 27 September, 2013, 04:24:14 pm »
Sad to hear about your good work not being kept up, but the development of the rides can only be a good thing.

The sad part is that the led rides I ran under the Sustrans umbrella and the Facebook group plus the led rides we are now running have done more to promote cycling in Witham than the NCN ever did.  The NCN is somewhat irrelevant, in my town at least.  I appreciate this might not be the case across the country.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #148 on: 27 September, 2013, 04:42:43 pm »
I didn't realise you'd left Sustrans.

Signing is definitely a problem in following quite a lot of routes - but I remember people saying that part of the reason for incorporation local routes in the NCN was that it allowed whoever was responsible for the route (I understand it's not always Sustrans, can be local authorities at various levels) to put up poles for signs rather than having to stick their signs on pre-existing poles?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #149 on: 27 September, 2013, 04:53:23 pm »
I didn't realise you'd left Sustrans.

Signing is definitely a problem in following quite a lot of routes - but I remember people saying that part of the reason for incorporation local routes in the NCN was that it allowed whoever was responsible for the route (I understand it's not always Sustrans, can be local authorities at various levels) to put up poles for signs rather than having to stick their signs on pre-existing poles?

This is what we did in Witham along our River Walk park.  The posts that Witham Town Council paid for are still there and have resisted vandalism.  See post #142 for pictures.  The problem is that the permanent signs now lead nowhere in some cases as the temporary signage has disappeared.