Author Topic: Commuter Racing pondered  (Read 21192 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Commuter Racing pondered
« Reply #50 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:52:37 pm »
I assume the rider in question did not deliberately time his entry to be just ahead of Mikey. :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:54:06 pm »
Sunray Avenue, North Dulwich. A short and gentle climb. I was feeling strong this morning so I decided to attack it. As I get out of the saddle and start to accelerate, dude overtakes me.

No way, dude, not today. I was already accelerating, so I just accelerated even harder...

I had 15 metres on him by the top. :)

This also meant I was able to make the right turn while the road was clear. It was no longer clear by the time he got there, so he didn't get to retake me on the descent of Denmark Hill either. Most satisfying! ;D

On the way home this evening, the boot was on the other foot - I was chasing a chap up Denmark Hill, could have passed him but he would have just retaken me near the top so I conceded. Kept him within sight all the way to Sydenham but had to admit defeat. You win some, you lose some. Hey ho!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #52 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »
Since when was
turning out of a side road in front of me
   an invitation to race?

It might be when the chap looks at me, and in reaction immediately accelerates and changes to the drops.  He was so obviously up for it.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:12:05 pm »
OK dude, it's all a bit of fun. I'll take your word for it.

(Although it still seems odd to start a "race" many yards ahead of another rider ... :)  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #54 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:15:02 pm »
OK dude, it's all a bit of fun. I'll take your word for it.

(Although it still seems odd to start a "race" many yards ahead of another rider ... :)  )

Perhaps he knew he needed a head start  ;) ;D

« Reply #55 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:31:17 pm »
Perhaps he knew he needed a head start  ;) ;D

Well if he didn't before, he certainly does now.   ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #56 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:48:47 pm »
I won a good race today.  Riding across Walmgate Stray, I was overtaken by a guy on a Brompton, it was a definite overtake and though I was going fairly easy, I wasn't hanging around either, so he'd have had to work overtake me.  There was no way I was having that! I span up the Pompino and passed him before the anti-car gates at the end of the path (whatever you call the things where you need to have the correct pedal down) then powered past the barracks to reach the red lights with him convincingly dropped.  That felt very good  :D  Tell me, which gets you more points in commuter racing, a folder or a SS?

I disagree with the idea that the only valid contests are on the open road.  As greenmeansgo says, your traffic handling skills are part of your commuter racing speed.  A couple of weeks ago I was beaten by someone whose bus handling skills (and nerve) were better than mine.  In fact, that contest reminds me that the rule about looking like you're not trying.  If you both know you're fairly well matched and you both know you're racing, go for it!  We certainly did then.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #57 on: 25 May, 2010, 03:48:50 pm »
I have lately fitted a flag to the speedmachine in response to too many near death misses - I seem to get more driver respect as a result.
However an unintended consequence is the opposite effect on the commuter racers. I have become invisible - clearly anything with a flag on it is beneath contempt so gets cut in on at lights etc mercilessly as if it didn't exist.
I am of course compelled to respond in the only way I know - and mostly the aero factor plays my way about 150 yds downtrack.
I reckon being blown off by some old codger's weird contraption with a flag on must be pretty galling.  I hope so anyway!
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #58 on: 25 May, 2010, 04:00:09 pm »
Mrs Mike was on the little orange folding bike over the weekend in Keswick while I was tri-ing, intersecting the course to take some pics. 

On route, she overtook someone who was racing on a TT bike with deep section wheels and a pointy hat.  She's been quite smug ever since :)   [he came flying past her about 100 yards later, but a scalp's a scalp.......]

« Reply #59 on: 25 May, 2010, 11:53:15 pm »
I have lately fitted a flag to the speedmachine in response to too many near death misses - I seem to get more driver respect as a result.
However an unintended consequence is the opposite effect on the commuter racers. I have become invisible - clearly anything with a flag on it is beneath contempt so gets cut in on at lights etc mercilessly as if it didn't exist.
I am of course compelled to respond in the only way I know - and mostly the aero factor plays my way about 150 yds downtrack.
I reckon being blown off by some old codger's weird contraption with a flag on must be pretty galling.  I hope so anyway!

Tiger, you dirty yellow livered surrender monkey!!!

« Reply #60 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:07:11 am »
I only ever race motor vehicles.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #61 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:27:53 am »

Tiger, you dirty yellow livered surrender monkey!!!

I appreciate the issue of flags on recumbents is a rerun of the magic hat debate and provokes strong feeling among the purists.  I do feel as though I let the side down when I hoisted my 'surrender' flag.  It destroys the all out in yer face I don't care attitude I guess. Definitely reduces dick size according to my experience - but I have compensated by adopting make rakish cycling caps in a defiant manner.  I think the fixed riders will understand the dick-hat ratio better than me though.
BUT - the effect on drivers is  quite remarkable. What was a daily incidence of abuse has reduced dramatically. It's as if sticking a silly flag up leads the moton mind to say ' WTF - oh he's got a flag up so that's OK then - better give him some room'.  Wierd.  With a flag up they actually give way to me, let me out at junctions etc!
I think it may possibly be that they think I am disabled.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:33:30 am »
It's possibly the equivalent of WVM hazard lights:
look out everyone, I'm dicking about in a random manner, probably on the phone. Best stay well clear!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #63 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:45:24 am »
Blimey!  p.s. one of my students mentioned seeing another recumbent in the bayswater area, and I said it might be you, then they said a flag.  I responded with "Nah, Tiger would never use a flag, it's not him".  LOL!

« Reply #64 on: 26 May, 2010, 01:23:14 pm »
On route, she overtook someone who was racing on a TT bike with deep section wheels and a pointy hat.  She's been quite smug ever since :)

Last year I watched the Tour of Britain pass my house with my daughter. The last she saw of me was me pedalling after them furiously on my commuter bike. She was most impressed when I showed her the pictures I'd taken of the stage winner crossing the finish line and is still convinced I caught them up and passed...

(I only rode as far as the railway station and then got the train to Newcastle to catch the finish...)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: 26 May, 2010, 01:29:41 pm »
Blimey!  p.s. one of my students mentioned seeing another recumbent in the bayswater area, and I said it might be you, then they said a flag.  I responded with "Nah, Tiger would never use a flag, it's not him".  LOL!

Wasn't me either. 

The only time you'll see a flag hoisted above my 'bent is during pride week and that'll be three by five feet of multicolored sailcloth  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 26 May, 2010, 02:01:48 pm »
Last year I watched the Tour of Britain pass my house with my daughter. The last she saw of me was me pedalling after them furiously on my commuter bike. She was most impressed when I showed her the pictures I'd taken of the stage winner crossing the finish line and is still convinced I caught them up and passed...

(I only rode as far as the railway station and then got the train to Newcastle to catch the finish...)
:)

I'm sure you can string that one out for a few years. (Wouldn't it be great if she dates a cyclist one day?  ;D )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #67 on: 21 June, 2010, 10:23:29 pm »
Is it acceptable to use another rider as a pacemaker?

On the way home this evening, I caught a chap on Denmark Hill, and we played a bit of cat and mouse through Dulwich. At the foot of Fountain Drive, he came past me and I latched on. I made a point of not draughting him - I stayed off to the side rather than directly behind him.

I could tell he was trying to shake me off but I found having him there a great motivation to push harder than I might have done otherwise, so I kept up quite easily. But he couldn't maintain the pace all the way and I overtook him about 100m from the top, sprinting clear.

(Of course, he caught me again going down the other side, but then he was on gears and I was on fixed.)

I finally lost him at Beckenham when I cheated a bit by hopping on the footpath to clear the temporary lights that were causing a tailback. Very naughty, I know, but there were no peds in sight and it was only for a few metres. I suppose that means that technically I "lost" but the real race was the bit up Fountain Drive.

So, was I wrong to use him as a pacemaker? Is that cheating?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #68 on: 21 June, 2010, 10:53:21 pm »

Anyone who pushes past me at the lights is a self appointed domestique, provided that they are up to it.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #69 on: 22 June, 2010, 07:44:09 am »
Here's my latest little race, second best one yet for me.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GscAwKrVmcU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GscAwKrVmcU&rel=1</a>

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #70 on: 22 June, 2010, 09:52:42 am »

Anyone who pushes past me at the lights is a self appointed domestique, provided that they are up to it.

+ lots

« Reply #71 on: 22 June, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »

Wasn't me either. 

The only time you'll see a flag hoisted above my 'bent is during pride week and that'll be three by five feet of multicolored sailcloth  :D

Cycling around Norwich in the late 80's it was quite usual to see Mike Burrows's fully faired Speedy / Windcheetah - with flag

If it's good enough for him ...
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

fuzzy

« Reply #72 on: 23 June, 2010, 06:34:57 pm »
I fell foul of a pair of TT'rs last evening ::-)

I was westbound on the A4155 in Bourne End when TT'r 1 blasted past to my right without so much as a "By your leave" let alone an "On yer right". About 20 seconds later TT'r 2 did exactly the same.

I was astride G G G G Granville (Reynolds 531 Tourer) complete with a loaded pannier but thought "Buggrit- I'm not having that" so put a bit more effort in and managed to latch on the back wheel of TT'r 2 who had by then latched on to the back wheel of TT'r 1.

I then thought to myself "Mercy sakes alive- looks like we got us a convoy".

Afte about a minute of drafting the TTr's I decided to go for it and pulled out of the slipstream, accelerating past. I kept the hammer down for as long as I could, managing to glance back to see that I had put a good half dozen bike lengths between us. I disguised the look back by immediately indicating a pothole to the TTr's following. We then started to climb an almost imperceptible rise and the TTr's managed to pass me again. The rise had finished me.

At least I won the race to the top of the rise........

« Reply #73 on: 24 June, 2010, 11:27:47 am »
And another good race on Tuesday.  I was panting like a horse afterwards!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RIgg0NGGjKk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RIgg0NGGjKk&rel=1</a>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #74 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:12:15 pm »
I was astride G G G G Granville (Reynolds 531 Tourer) complete with a loaded pannier but thought "Buggrit- I'm not having that" so put a bit more effort in and managed to latch on the back wheel of TT'r 2 who had by then latched on to the back wheel of TT'r 1.

Norty TTer  :o
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk