Author Topic: Pedestrian killed by cyclist  (Read 31446 times)

ian

Re: Pedestrian killed by cyclist
« Reply #225 on: 11 July, 2008, 03:50:07 pm »
The media coverage is puzzling.  See here:

All these are links from the BBC news site.  The accident occurred in Bucks, FFS!  These are all local papers, none of them Bucks-based.  So: what is going on?  When the cyclist Marie Vesco was recently tragically killed by a motorist on the A23, a few miles from where I live, the news report got as far as our local paper.  Not all over the country.

Well, someone spent an afternoon industriously faxing a pro forma 'story' to every news desk in the land. Local newspapers love these, it takes a few minutes to embellish, and you've got cheap (not to mention controversy generating - thus interesting) column filler. It's probably also why it got picked up by the BBC and other larger news organizations, which propagates it further still.

Sadly, as these kinds of releases are treated uncritically, it's a good way to further any given agenda.

It is more likely that it was picked up by the PA or Reuters. All media outlets will look at these. Often the media reports take the PA stuff verbatim. I've been quoted in papers I've never spoken to.

It was picked up by the main agencies, but there seemed a big push, and the story in most of the local rags was barely embellished and unattributed to either the PA or Reuters. Plus they had detail the initial agency reports didn't have. Smelled a little of a PR and the news folks seem to agree (I work for one of those agencies, but not in the newsy bit).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #226 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:02:42 am »
It's probably a bad thing to drag this subject up again. However, I came across this post by the defending lawyer-person, which may be of interest:

HaloScan.com - Comments

Here is the main blog, which I found a really worthwhile read, thus vindicating my muck-dredging, I hope!
The Magistrate's Blog: Grief Exploited
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

spindrift

« Reply #227 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:47:28 am »
It's probably a bad thing to drag this subject up again. However, I came across this post by the defending lawyer-person, which may be of interest:

HaloScan.com - Comments

Here is the main blog, which I found a really worthwhile read, thus vindicating my muck-dredging, I hope!
The Magistrate's Blog: Grief Exploited

The post from nanki poo there is about me.

Muppet pedestrian on a mobile blunders across the road, doesn't here my bell, carries on and walks in front of me, I swerve , fall and bust a rib.

Can the ped be charged with GBH?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #228 on: 08 August, 2008, 09:58:17 am »
I don't think so - as a cyclist you're meant to be looking out for fuckwits vulnerable road users.  Same as if she'd stepped out in front of a car, the car had skidded and gone into a tree, killing the driver.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #229 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:14:27 am »
I don't think so - as a cyclist you're meant to be looking out for fuckwits vulnerable road users.  Same as if she'd stepped out in front of a car, the car had skidded and gone into a tree, killing the driver.

Isn't there some protection for people who have suffered a crash due to avoiding some muppetry?

Slight bells are ringing, but I am tired as hell today, so can't remember anything more.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

spen666

« Reply #230 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:22:30 am »
I have to make a confession.

I have in depth "knowledge" of the whole of the prosecution file on this case, including all of the lawyers notes, statements, records of hearings etc

From what I have read, the reporting seems to have not been particularly fair -to the facts.

I have to sayin light of all the statements and what the defendant said in interview ( both @ scene & formal interview weeks later), I personally would have convicted him of dangerous cycling

There is little blame if any that can fairly be attached to the deceased.

« Reply #231 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:24:14 am »

Isn't there some protection for people who have suffered a crash due to avoiding some muppetry?

Slight bells are ringing, but I am tired as hell today, so can't remember anything more.

There was a motorcyclist who recently won compensation for injuries suffered in an accident caused by a teenager playing chicken on a dual carriageway. The teenager was killed in the same accident - which obviously gave the tabliods scope for some misleading headlines.  ::-)

Rather different, though, as that was due to deliberate action by the ped.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #232 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:00:09 pm »
I have in depth "knowledge" of the whole of the prosecution file on this case, including all of the lawyers notes, statements, records of hearings etc

There was some speculation from cyclists that the defendant may have felt threatened by the group of teenagers leaving the park and spilling onto the road, and that that could have explained why he decided to keep going. Clearly his side of the story has not been made public yet. Any comments? I fully understand if you feel you can't comment further.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

spen666

« Reply #233 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:06:10 pm »

There was some speculation from cyclists that the defendant may have felt threatened by the group of teenagers leaving the park and spilling onto the road, and that that could have explained why he decided to keep going. Clearly his side of the story has not been made public yet. Any comments? I fully understand if you feel you can't comment further.

No mention of this made by any party. In fact on the information I have seen, there is no suggestion the  girls were doing anything other than walking out of a cut into a cul de sac. They were not being disorderly, loud, etc. The defendant himself makes no suggestion they were anything other than orderly and peaceful

« Reply #234 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:31:48 pm »
OK, thanks for that information.

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark