Author Topic: Cyclists use Twitter to capture dangerous drivers  (Read 24225 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Cyclists use Twitter to capture dangerous drivers
« Reply #50 on: 22 May, 2013, 10:33:41 am »
If you fancy topping up the old blood pressure some more, the twit and run furore is being aired on the Jeremy Vine show at 13.40 today.

« Reply #51 on: 22 May, 2013, 10:44:23 am »
there is only one question to be asked of these presenters "Are you intentionally acting ignorant to cause argument, or are you really as stupid as you appear?"
<i>Marmite slave</i>

spindrift

« Reply #52 on: 22 May, 2013, 10:47:05 am »
You wouldn't believe that Spixworth woman, her voice went all wobbly and high-pitched at the thought of cyclists using the road, eventually her voice could only be heard by dogs. She's unhinged.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 22 May, 2013, 10:54:02 am »
there is only one question to be asked of these presenters "Are you intentionally acting ignorant to cause argument, or are you really as stupid as you appear?"

that could be applied to any phone-in. They are the equivalent of the comments sections on web pages.

giving millions of monkeys keyboards has resulted in one copy of a Shakespeare sonnet and millions-1 piles of monkey dribble.
It is simpler than it looks.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #54 on: 22 May, 2013, 10:54:30 am »
I had to start laughing when Selwyn Froggat piped in from his tractor.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

« Reply #55 on: 22 May, 2013, 11:05:25 am »
I remember now one of the reasons I left Norfolk.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #56 on: 22 May, 2013, 12:33:26 pm »
Dear Sir

A cyclist gets hurt in a hit-and-run and your programme asks whether cyclists should be on the road. What on earth were you thinking?

Your programme yesterday was an unedifying stream of hatred from some drivers who sounded deranged. That woman from Spixworth could hardly contain her bile that cyclists choose not to use the dangerous, glass-strewn cycle path, she also admitted sounding her horn to intimidate vulnerable road users. She's not fit to have a license, cycle lanes are not compulsory and the advice in the Highway Code is that faster cyclists should use the road. Your programme wasn't insightful or helpful, rather it was rabble-rousing, people who don't know how to drive properly were basically just venting in a horrible, hate-filled way. You are pandering to the minority of drivers who use two tons of metal to bully and intimidate people. It was an awful, dangerously misguided effort, you may well have made my bike ride to work more dangerous.

I don't believe it is, what it does say is

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #57 on: 22 May, 2013, 12:39:48 pm »
I think there has been dft advice along the lines of cyclists going more than 18mph should use the road rather than *shared use* cycle paths.

« Reply #58 on: 22 May, 2013, 12:43:18 pm »
I think the advice was for shared paths. "If you wanted to go more than 12mph then you'd be better off on the road." or words to that effect. Can't remember where it was stated though.

It's a separate thing from the non-mandatory use of (on-road) cycle lanes or other cylce infrastructure.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #59 on: 22 May, 2013, 12:50:18 pm »
It was on a dft page about cyclists and drivers sharing the road, I think. I tried to find it some time ago, and couldn't, I think it no longer exists.

« Reply #60 on: 22 May, 2013, 01:48:06 pm »
If you fancy topping up the old blood pressure some more, the twit and run furore is being aired on the Jeremy Vine show at 13.40 today.

Listening to it now, ready and waiting for all the idiots to ring in with I hate cyclists etc

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #61 on: 22 May, 2013, 02:07:01 pm »
Listening to it now,

:hand:
I actually switch off when Jeremy Vile comes on.

IMO this is the most irresponsible type of journalistic* broadcasting

I use the term loosely.Loose as in diarrhoea.

« Reply #62 on: 22 May, 2013, 02:13:11 pm »
He's definitely a Bristol type 7
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #63 on: 22 May, 2013, 02:15:00 pm »
It was on a dft page about cyclists and drivers sharing the road, I think. I tried to find it some time ago, and couldn't, I think it no longer exists.

I think this is it

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/archive/2004/ltnwc/annexdcodeofconductnoticefor1688

"Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road."

Refers to shared cycle pedestrian routes I think
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Flynn

• Fred Killah
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #65 on: 22 May, 2013, 03:12:34 pm »
I liked this video linked from that blog.

http://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/when-cyclists-matter/

It really is all about attitude.
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #66 on: 22 May, 2013, 03:57:23 pm »
Why should a non-work-related incident have implications for her employment? 

If it was legit to sack people for being a douchenozzle, we'd have very empty halls of power...

If you employed her what would you do?

There are plenty of good accountant out there, many of them not douchenozzles with a blatant disregard for human life.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #67 on: 22 May, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »

If you employed her what would you do?

I'd follow Employment Law. I'd check her contract and see what it covered.
It is simpler than it looks.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #68 on: 22 May, 2013, 05:27:11 pm »
At least bringing firm into disrepute - they were contacted by police, and have large negative publicity over the case.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.

red marley

« Reply #71 on: 22 May, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »
Feeling sorry for yourself is not the same as saying sorry.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.

spindrift

« Reply #73 on: 22 May, 2013, 05:54:36 pm »
says she didn't stop because she didn't think the cyclist had come off his bike or had been hurt.

Easy to tell the extent of injuries when you're in your car and out of sight.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #74 on: 22 May, 2013, 06:05:09 pm »
Quote from: itv link from above
It was a spur of the moment thing and I'm sorry. I didn't realise it would ever escalate to this.

Eh! a spur of the moment to run someone of the road or a spur of the moment to text I guess, because of the other tweets, while driving?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit