Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 399827 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #25 on: 05 July, 2008, 03:58:21 pm »
I've been jogging with my sister in our local park for the past month or so. Only about 3 miles at a time, in about half an hour, but we're doing it most days I'm in the country and it's definitely getting easier. I don't get muscle ache anymore afterwards, and am able to keep going for longer. We do try to run on grass, though, as shins hurt aftern running on tarmac.

« Reply #26 on: 05 July, 2008, 04:04:07 pm »
Son2 is learning to ride his mini bike now that I have taken the bottom bracket and pedals off.  He is learning the art of balancing.  When he has mastered this he can progress to his proper bike.  While he is mastering it I have to run alongside him.  We started this up the lane on Thursday and repeated it on Friday.  Slowly slowly I will get back to running again.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 05 July, 2008, 06:17:17 pm »
First run/bike back-to-back session in a while today... half an hour of each.  Puff puff. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #28 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:57:11 am »
After a good gym session yesterday I ran into the lab today. Felt reasonable, managed to keep it going and push to the top of the observatory hill.

Legs are tired now though...

Maybe take the bike for a spin tonight.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

vince

« Reply #29 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:19:11 am »
I've not run since Sunday Saturday. Should have gone out yesterday morning, but frankly too idle. I'm currently striding around telling all and sundry that I'm doing a 10m race at the end of August so I guess it's time to send off the application and put the miles in before I look completely stupid.

« Reply #30 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:23:52 am »
I've promised myself that I'll do two runs and two swims a week to complement two or three rides and a couple of dancing sessions.   Yet to get out on the run  :(

I harbour desires of a tri so I guess I should get out.   Tomorrow morning, maybe ...

I know how to do it, jsut too lazy.   I used to run marathons before a series of injuries to my left leg including one clean break of the fib just above my ankle really put all that to bed.

« Reply #31 on: 11 September, 2008, 01:04:19 pm »
Back to running and enjoying it. The top was running on country and mountain paths in the Lakes at the WE. I need a more efficient way of training (time pressures) and running may be it, esp. as I am due to travel quite a bit in the next few months and it is easier to fit trainers in a suitcase than a bike!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #32 on: 11 September, 2008, 08:21:32 pm »
I'm working too hard at present.  I still have those lovely shoes I bought that are now not getting any mileage.

« Reply #33 on: 11 September, 2008, 08:37:54 pm »
I'm going to Australia with my main sport sponsors and to Brazil; and Argentina; and possibly elsewhere in the next few months. Hence the running.

Any advise on where to go in Melbourne (and Sydney)?  ;D

« Reply #34 on: 11 September, 2008, 09:18:35 pm »
Melbourne !!!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Visit the Melbourne Cricket Ground if you like cricket.

They have a lovely Botanical Gardens.  The National Art Museum is good.  If you like the idea of a Museum per se, with a heavy Aussie bias, they have opened a great one in Melbourne and I can probably get you in gratis, even from here !!

The city itself is quite a nice place.  St. Kilda beach has a market on The Promenade every Sunday that is worth it too.

Depends where you are staying thought. 

The Yarra River and South Bank in town is good too.  There is loads mate, absolutely loads of grouse places to go.

The only problem will be the Aussies.  ;D

« Reply #35 on: 11 September, 2008, 09:19:48 pm »
I've pm'ed you.

PS Cricket ain't my thing. But the rest sounds good. I don't know where I'm staying; 'tis taken car of by higher powers!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #36 on: 02 November, 2008, 11:13:03 pm »
Resurrecting this thread as the owner of a pair of running shoes, for the first time in my life.  Also have managed to jog (slowly) more than 1km for the first time ever.  Charlotte has been showing me how to run without looking like I've been plugged into the mains, and it appears to be marginally easier than last time I tried (about 12 years ago).

Any tips for the total novice gratefully appreciated - especially Vicky, how did you sort the shin-pain thing?  Is that just something that happens or is it something I'm doing wrong?  It seemed worse when I was doing fast walking than slow jogging. 

I am at the running stage equivalent of when cycling 3 miles to the shops was a massive undertaking.  This means I can only get better at it.  ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #37 on: 02 November, 2008, 11:21:08 pm »
Peli just told me that she is only running on grass or else she gets sore shins.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #38 on: 03 November, 2008, 08:31:55 am »
Soft surfaces are easier on shins - tarmac is the hardest.  Grass and gravel are much better. 

But mostly it's a case of developing certain muscles you don't have yet.  Take it easy - don't macho through it or you risk nasties like compartment syndrome and stress fractures, all of which are as exciting as they sound.  Rest up ouchy shins until they're good before running again, and after a month or two you'll find that they're buffer ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #39 on: 03 November, 2008, 08:39:15 am »
The first thing is to get a proper pair of running shoes fitted at a shop; Asics, New Balance, Nike are the most common probably. Then, start with grass and trails indeed, esp. if you are not in your race trim; they will help minimise the impact. Thirdly take it easy and rememember never to increase your distance or pace significantly as you get started (the rule of thumb is no more than 10% week in, week out; start by running 2-3 times a week maybe). Stretch! Finally run in nice surroundings as they really help make running more interesting at the beginning; once fitter you can start to play, run with others and do a bit of fartlek for example!

« Reply #40 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:58:16 am »
Until recently, running was my main way of staying fit.  Although I've run intermitently most of my adult life, it didn't become a habit until I started on a treadmill at the gym 6 - 7 years ago.  I then gave up the gym membership and the streets of Ealing (and then Edinburgh) were mine!  Managed to run a marathon 3 years ago....and then the injuries started and currently I'm lucky if I can do 4 miles pain free. 

In hindsight, I'd stress to anyone starting running that stretching and perhaps a good gym routine are crucial for staying injury free, especially if, like me, you don't have a body anything like Haile Gebreselassie.

border-rider

« Reply #41 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:33:29 am »
Yep - it's dead easy to injure yourself quite spectacularly running. even when you've got the miles in. 

When you first start running, your (cycling-trained) cardiovascular system is raring to go, but  your legs aren't ready.  So lots of short runs at a steady pace (able to comfortably sustain a conversation is the usual advice) with rest days between.  Don't run with sore legs - on the rest days go for a bike ride.

And stretches before and after, warm up/down

Chris S

« Reply #42 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:56:30 am »
The ortho consultant at the hospital who checked out my knee when I borked it, had this to say:

Him: Cycling is good - are you considering taking up running at all?
Me: No.
Him: Good - don't.

annie

« Reply #43 on: 03 November, 2008, 12:27:23 pm »
Well done Liz for making a start on running.  I agree with the advice given by others but would like to add a couple of things.  Jogging/walking is ok to start with, don't think you have to run all the way. 

Jogging and running are quite harsh on the shins and knees when on tarmac or other hard surfaces.  If the heel strikes the ground first there is greater force through the knee joint.  I used to stride out when running but now tend to take smaller steps and try not to strike heel first all the time.

As you know I did my longest run to date on Saturday and have found myself entering my first road race.

I love to run cross country.  Mud, puddles, obstacles make it so much more fun but also more hazardous.

Make sure you enjoy yourself and before you do anything else make sure those trainers are aiding your running and causing you any harm.

:-* :-*

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #44 on: 03 November, 2008, 12:34:11 pm »
The trainers are Brooks ones from Wiggle, I walked over a wet floor to find out what my footprint looks like and went with the ones they recommended.  They certainly feel like they're supporting my foot well.  A distinct improvement on running in Woolworths' plimsolls*.  ::-)

I don't think I'm likely to have any problems overexerting myself.  ;) 

I'm trying to take smaller steps and roll, rather than bounce.  I think one of the reasons that I was so crap at running was that I was doing a slow bounce, which takes considerable effort!

I just don't understand the shin thing - it was fine when jogging but long-strides-fast-walking was painful, like I was jarring my shin bones, and I couldn't work out what it was.  If it's just a n00b problem then I will stick to the park until I've built up a bit more.  :)

*Everyone else had Nike GreenFlash, which were (I agree in retrospect) a total waste of money for a girl with growing feet who attended games lessons... infrequently.

annie

« Reply #45 on: 03 November, 2008, 12:47:58 pm »
The trainers are Brooks ones from Wiggle, I walked over a wet floor to find out what my footprint looks like and went with the ones they recommended.  They certainly feel like they're supporting my foot well.  A distinct improvement on running in Woolworths' plimsolls*.  ::-)

I don't think I'm likely to have any problems overexerting myself.  ;) 

I'm trying to take smaller steps and roll, rather than bounce.  I think one of the reasons that I was so crap at running was that I was doing a slow bounce, which takes considerable effort!

I just don't understand the shin thing - it was fine when jogging but long-strides-fast-walking was painful, like I was jarring my shin bones, and I couldn't work out what it was.  If it's just a n00b problem then I will stick to the park until I've built up a bit more.  :)

*Everyone else had Nike GreenFlash, which were (I agree in retrospect) a total waste of money for a girl with growing feet who attended games lessons... infrequently.

The long-strides-fast-walking is more likely to be heels first with greater pressure forced up through the shin bones. 

I think you are a star for being so motivated and lucky to have a gorgeous coach by your side.  Out of interest - is this coach carrying a bucket and sponge?

Don't forget those all important stretches before and after, if you don't have enough time to stretch then cut back on your run, they are just as important if not more so than the run itself.

The coach is expected to give post run massages to all affected areas with warm oil :-*

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #46 on: 03 November, 2008, 12:49:33 pm »
The long-strides-fast-walking is more likely to be heels first with greater pressure forced up through the shin bones. 

I think you are a star for being so motivated and lucky to have a gorgeous coach by your side.  Out of interest - is this coach carrying a bucket and sponge?

Don't forget those all important stretches before and after, if you don't have enough time to stretch then cut back on your run, they are just as important if not more so than the run itself.

The coach is expected to give post run massages to all affected areas with warm oil :-*

Lots and lots of stretching.  I can feel that I've been running at the weekend but I'm not hurting, so the stretching must have worked.

I think the gorgeous coach is definitely a motivating feature.  ;)

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #47 on: 03 November, 2008, 01:48:04 pm »
I'm starting running as part of my DofE so I can (hopefully) do a triathlon in the Spring.  :)
I can run about half a mile without having to stop already. I think my problem is that my legs are really uncoordinated while I'm running, and I'm trying to work out how you run properly.  ???

« Reply #48 on: 04 November, 2008, 12:32:57 pm »
Ran 4 miles or so this morning before cycling to work.  Still dark and nice and cold!  Pity my back has now started to seize up while sitting at my desk.  Must persevere.  Stretching, core stability, more stretching.....

« Reply #49 on: 17 November, 2008, 08:59:00 am »
Time to start dusting my trainers... I'm off to South America soon again for a while and won't have the luxury of a bike. With the warm weather it should be easy to get out though.