Author Topic: Night Sweats - Homeopathic Remedy?  (Read 3426 times)

Night Sweats - Homeopathic Remedy?
« on: 07 January, 2017, 07:31:54 pm »
After intense physical activity (for me that's normally a day's hard work as a gardener but it can happen from cycling) I get pretty full on night sweats. That means eventually I get cold; it's uncomfortable sleeping in damp sheets; nobody else enjoys my amphibious transformation and for the rest of the next day I am shot away because of the effects of dehydration. Nothing is good about it.

A friend who was once a pretty good road cyclist described these events as 'toxic night sweats'.

I did read in a book I have about a homeopathic 'aid' but I can't find the reference now. I don't want to enter into the whole herbal vs pharmaceutical debate right now. For personal reasons, a natural approach is my preference.

Can anyone offer an explanation to these sweats and some sort of natural help? I am male, so it's not menopause to clarify.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Night Sweats - Homeopathic Remedy?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:01:39 pm »
I cannot recommend anything homeopathic in any shape or form so I'll get that out of the way. We'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.

I am interested in your eating and working habits.

I suspect you are working up a large energy deficit during the working day, coming home hungry, pigging out and going to bed before your body has fully processed the mountain of food you have thrown at it. Processing a mountain of food generates metabolic heat, which the body tries to dump by sweating once the temperature rises.

I suggest you eat regularly during the day and don't go to bed until at least four hours after your last meal.

If you are getting night sweats on an empty stomach, I suggest you see your GP as these might be a sign of a variety of disorders, some of which are serious.

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:23:05 pm »
Thank you. I genuinely appreciate your post.

Yes I'm starving by 1600 so have a small snack. I have breakfast at about 0730. I also snack at about 1100, have lunch between 1230 and 1430. I feed the kids and myself at about 1800. Occasionally a snack about 2000. Up to bed around 2100. Favourite snacks? Nuts, dry fruit. Treats? Crisps or oat biscuits, which we all know are junk.

Most of our food is very healthy. I am an organic gardener so wholesomeness is a biggy in my lifestyle approach.

To clarify: These Sweats happen after exceptional days. Not every night.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:35:01 pm »
Wholesome food will provide rather similar nutrients to less wholesome offerings to the body, though these may get absorbed more slowly.

Some of my suggestions might not be very practical but avoiding getting ravenous, then pigging should be at least partly feasible.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2017, 11:59:23 pm »
In my experience homeopathy works as a cure for dehydration. If I drink 500ml water it helps to stave off dehydration. If I dilute that 500ml with another 500 ml, then it is doubly effective.

Hope this helps.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2017, 08:50:55 am »
I know about zero about physiology, but is it possible that the intense hard day is making your metabolism run hotter and then you are sweating when wrapped up under a duvet? Later on your metabolism slows down a bit, you are lying in damp sheets and get cold.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2017, 09:06:41 am »
I don't want to enter into the whole herbal vs pharmaceutical debate right now. For personal reasons, a natural approach is my preference.

That's fair enough, and the homeopathy debate is well covered elsewhere on yacf. However, don't confuse herbal/natural with homeopathic. There may well be a herbal remedy that helps.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2017, 10:13:05 am »
I know you prefer not-pharma, but if this is persistent have you had a Dr check you out? Whenever I get sweaty in the night Mrs Dan's immediate concern is cancer.
I know nothing about treatments, but GWS.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2017, 12:27:08 pm »
I know about zero about physiology, but is it possible that the intense hard day is making your metabolism run hotter and then you are sweating when wrapped up under a duvet? Later on your metabolism slows down a bit, you are lying in damp sheets and get cold.

That was part of my initial answer:
OP does hefty physical work in the cold, generating both heat and motive power, on little food. Heat generated at this point is welcome.
OP goes home to warm house, eats and goes to bed.

Fuel load causes overheating and sweating...

Night Sweats - Homeopathic Remedy?
« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »
Sorry. Tapatalk is playing silly buggers. Doesn't like emojis. Wowbagger your post helps. Thank you.

I think I should involve my GP surgery which is a bit of a lottery. At the most I visit or phone once a year. I have been ignored once when I had stress related issues and once when I had a chest infection.

Thanks for the very helpful replies to my post.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2017, 01:23:16 pm »
I don't want to enter into the whole herbal vs pharmaceutical debate right now. For personal reasons, a natural approach is my preference.

The supernatural approach of homeopathy is not for you, then.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2017, 01:49:50 pm »
In my experience homeopathy works as a cure for dehydration. If I drink 500ml water it helps to stave off dehydration. If I dilute that 500ml with another 500 ml, then it is doubly effective.

;D

I had a similar thought on reading the OP but your response is much wittier than mine would have been.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 08 January, 2017, 08:22:15 pm »
Back to serious, other than night sweats do you have any other symptoms? I remember extreme night sweats pre diagnosis, but also reading up about them as symptoms of other things. As HellyMedic points out some more serious than others. She is infinitely more qualified than I in generalities, but perhaps not in one specific and I'd hate to push you d down the wrong path..
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens