Author Topic: A-head stem?  (Read 1508 times)

A-head stem?
« on: 04 March, 2019, 04:20:00 pm »
So my rigid MTB has what I believe to be an early threadless headset and A-head stem(?),  described as a "Dia-Compe Aheadset system".  Anyway, with the 10 degree rise/ 135mm stem i'm a bit more aero than I'd prefer to be so wondered if people can recommend solution and what the best options are.   What are the adjustable stems like and which are good?  I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust it to find the best fit...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: A-head stem?
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2019, 05:38:51 pm »
all adjustable stems are basically junk but some are better than others, and all are handy for setting a bike up.  If you are just going to use it for setting the bike up, it doesn't really matter much what sort you get.

Be aware that the steerer could be 1" or 1-1/8" diameter and also that bar clamp diameters vary.

cheers

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2019, 05:57:33 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2019, 06:28:12 pm »
Thanks both.  I did wonder whether the adjustables weren't such a good option.  Will check all the diameters.  I wonder if the 17 degree will be enough...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2019, 07:09:00 pm »
all adjustable stems are basically junk but some are better than others, and all are handy for setting a bike up.  If you are just going to use it for setting the bike up, it doesn't really matter much what sort you get.

I fitted a Decathlon one to my Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle on this logic, and haven't found a pressing reason (other than the knowledge of the gratuitous weight) to get round to replacing it with an appropriately sized rigid one.  I'd probably care more if I used the bike more.

I don't think it's the sort of thing that someone with an n+1 habit would regret having in the spare parts box.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2019, 07:13:11 pm »
Thanks both.  I did wonder whether the adjustables weren't such a good option.  Will check all the diameters.  I wonder if the 17 degree will be enough...

ok then 35 degrees. ::-)

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiz477EmOngAhXut-0KHRZsCBsYABAHGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_26alGppcZGIhFrPZTAY8WJerd14A&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiGh7nEmOngAhWUThUIHUQDAUAQ9aACCFc&adurl=

« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2019, 07:17:50 pm »

ok then 35 degrees. ::-)

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiz477EmOngAhXut-0KHRZsCBsYABAHGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_26alGppcZGIhFrPZTAY8WJerd14A&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiGh7nEmOngAhWUThUIHUQDAUAQ9aACCFc&adurl=

That looks good.   ;)  ;D  Thanks.  Will probably just take a punt and see how much difference it makes.

« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2019, 07:21:52 pm »

I fitted a Decathlon one to my Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle on this logic, and haven't found a pressing reason (other than the knowledge of the gratuitous weight) to get round to replacing it with an appropriately sized rigid one.  I'd probably care more if I used the bike more.

I don't think it's the sort of thing that someone with an n+1 habit would regret having in the spare parts box.

Thanks.  May be worth a shot.  I assume if one follows the Nm tightening they're safe.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2019, 08:31:47 pm »
but do check your stem dia before ordering obviously. ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2019, 08:59:28 pm »
Or just buy a 1 1/8" one, since it's routine to shim them to a 1" steerer where necessary.  I don't think 1" threadless stems are still made.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2019, 12:07:06 pm »
All measured, 1 1/8" tube, and 25.4mm bars.  I've gone for a EX 120mm 35 degree, so slightly shorter. 

edit.  Installed! Test ride awaited...   :)

« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2019, 08:11:23 pm »
Pics showing the difference in stem set-up...   https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=104291.msg2374903#msg2374903

The 19" framed MTB has a 58cm TT, which is actually the same as my 24" frame 531 main bike (120mm quill stem); they both now have the same saddle to h'bars distance...