Author Topic: Ingrowing toenails  (Read 1993 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Ingrowing toenails
« on: 22 June, 2011, 04:40:41 pm »
6 months ago I started a course of terbafine for fungal nail infection.
Now I can wear sandals for the first time in many years and can show off lovely claws.
One slight disadvantage is they are growing into my flesh resulting in huge swollen big red toes that hurt a lot and are hard to fit into shoes.
I feel another home surgery project is due.   
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Ingrowing toenails
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »
Cauterise the proud flesh with AgNO3 like the professionals.
You know it makes sense!
Or see a podiatrist...

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2011, 12:50:49 pm »
Regret to report now one toe huge. Have resorted to sandals. I reckon it might actually explode.
Initial home surgery - exploratory - was rather painful with limited results.  Antibiotics now deployed - although I don't think much of the so called doctors idea that it will grow out.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2011, 12:58:19 pm »
See a foot fetishist podiatrist.
They can train or tame your toenails' growth.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2011, 01:22:20 pm »
To reverse a well known aphorism. This thread is much better without photos.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2011, 01:22:28 pm »
See a foot fetishist podiatrist.
They can train or tame your toenails' growth.

+1

I used to suffer very badly from ingrowing toenails on both my big toes.  I saw a podiatrist/chiropodist who did some minor sugery and since then I've had no problems.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2011, 01:24:18 pm »
+2 Both my big toes were bad (its genetic so were my dads). Minor surgery to remove a bit of the nail root at the edge that grows in fixed it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:23:22 pm »
Same here, nail removed from either side of the nail on both big toes, then some stuff to kill that part of the bed/root to prevent it going back. Mine were terrible before I had them sorted.

« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:44:13 pm »
If only I'd noticed this a couple of days ago, I could have sent you a solution:

(like doosh, it's an inherited thing here, too. Both dad and brother had nails removed and nail bed cut out. I've escaped).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2011, 12:09:37 pm »
Thought you might like to to know right big  toe burst very satisfyingly leading to great sense of relief and foul green outflow - surprisingly little of it given the excruciating pain it caused before popping.
Taking advantage of the lowered pain level I got stuck in and scalpel/tweezered a nasty section of nail out of the gaping hole left behind.   
Only moderately infected now.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2011, 10:15:41 pm »
Thought you might like to to know right big  toe burst very satisfyingly leading to great sense of relief and foul green outflow - surprisingly little of it given the excruciating pain it caused before popping.
Taking advantage of the lowered pain level I got stuck in and scalpel/tweezered a nasty section of nail out of the gaping hole left behind.   
Only moderately infected now.

That's good, other wise the only course of action would have been amputation from the NECK down!  :o  ;)

AndyK

« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2011, 10:16:38 pm »
Get the nails removed.

« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2011, 08:39:46 pm »
Get the nails removed.

+1 Had my big toe nails removed in 2004 after losing and growing back the nails followed by multiple infections. You wont miss them.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #13 on: 04 July, 2011, 05:06:45 pm »
PLeased to report that a big chunk of flesh dropped off due to the infection and with a spot of luck the nail will grow out through the space. That will be another triumph for home surgery - another blow struck against the doctors monopoly! Power to the patients!

« Reply #14 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:01:14 pm »
Shall we take bets on whether septicaemia or gangrene will claim Tigerrr in the end or maybe he will just bleed out after an overambitious bit of home surgery.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #15 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:14:16 pm »
Shall we take bets on whether septicaemia or gangrene will claim Tigerrr in the end or maybe he will just bleed out after an overambitious bit of home surgery.

I do sometimes wonder whether he's suffering from infection induced dementia...  ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor