Author Topic: Cycle speedway success.  (Read 2242 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Cycle speedway success.
« on: 30 July, 2019, 12:59:19 am »
The son of a friend of my is now a world champion in the cycling discipline of speedway. The cycle speedway world championships have been taking place in Poland over the last weekend and the U.K. junior team won and then a Rest of World vs Poland junior match including my friends son beat Poland again. I’ll admit to not understanding Speedway scoring or competition format, but my mate has been all over Twitter and Facebook playing the proud dad.

http://3318news.co.uk/
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Cycle speedway success.
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2019, 11:30:04 am »
 :D :thumbsup: :D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2019, 03:22:52 pm »
Cool! The motorized version of speedway is big news in Poland but I must admit I've never heard of anyone riding cycle speedway there. Then again, I don't know anyone who does it here, either. All I know about the scoring is that it's a team competition.

So does your friend's son get a rainbow jersey (to wear when hanging around and wind up people who get wound up by that sort of thing :demon:)?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2019, 03:43:21 pm »
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/news/article/20131213-Get-into-cycle-speedway-0#Overview

Seems to be very similar in format to Motorcycle Speedway
2 teams of 2,
elbow your way to a 1-2 if you can
Try and get a 1-3 if their lead rider gets clean through (means 2 elbowing matches)

Never picked how tactical it was when watching on TV, but been to matches at Berwick and Armadale.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2019, 09:50:02 pm »
So does your friend's son get a rainbow jersey (to wear when hanging around and wind up people who get wound up by that sort of thing :demon:)?
Ooh, I don’t know. I shall ask him and let you know. Possibly not, today though because they’ve been to Auschwitz and we’re a bit overwrought last time they posted.

ETA

Apparently cycle speedway is not regulated by the UCI so no rainbow jerseys for its world champions. They do however have their own equivalent world champions jumpers, and my mates son also has a white Mersey with red while and blue hoops because he is also the U.K. junior champion.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2019, 06:48:35 pm »
Shame no rainbow jersey, just cos it's so well recognized, but a national champ's jersey is really kinda cool. And rather an impressive achievement...

a white Mersey
I always thought the Mersey was a sort of muddy brown colour...  :D

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2019, 12:20:49 pm »
Note to self: proof reading is probably better undertaken by someone who does not have dyslexia.  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2019, 01:56:00 pm »
Not having dyslexia is no proof against autocorrects and typos.

Maybe the "brown Mersey" could be awarded to winner of the Mersey Roads time trial? Or possibly for a stage win in the Tour of Britain; other stages having the Humber, Severn, Thames, Clyde, etc.  ;D