Author Topic: Ratn 2019  (Read 17792 times)

rob

Re: Ratn 2019
« Reply #25 on: 18 March, 2019, 04:54:38 pm »
I was stopped by the Dutch police along with a German rider on the Dutch Capitals 1400 in 2012.

We had given up on the very rough cycle path and were using the road, resulting in a bollocking.   It was about 2am and in a village near Utrecht.   We did play dumb foreigner, apologised and showed them our jerseys with the route on.   We were let off eventually but I was a bit concerned.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 22 April, 2019, 12:27:52 am »

A couple of people riding RATN asked me some questions about riding, resources along the way etc... So rather than give the same answers multiple times, I've written a blog post on the subject.

http://42q.eu/gIh

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #27 on: 22 April, 2019, 06:53:37 am »
 :thumbsup:
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #28 on: 23 April, 2019, 10:36:01 am »

A couple of people riding RATN asked me some questions about riding, resources along the way etc... So rather than give the same answers multiple times, I've written a blog post on the subject.

http://42q.eu/gIh

J

Although I mostly agree with your blog post, there are two things I would like to add (as a Dutch person). Yes, we like "klinkers" (or block paving as it is apparently called in English?) but they are comfortable enough when you're running 25mm tyres. On very long rides (400+km), I do drop the pressure in my front tyre by roughly 1 bar to get a little bit less road buzz.

Most bicycle shops do carry the essentials for a road bike (in particular inner tubes), but yeah don't count on it and expect to pay the (extortionate) recommended retail price. However, there are a couple of big stores not too far from the route who carry everything you could potentially need for your bike. In particular, I'm thinking about Mantel in Arnhem (mantel.com), Belga Fietsen in Groningen (belgafietsen.nl, on weekdays open until 9pm) and Math Salden in Limbricht.

And don't forget that on May 4 we remember the (European) victims of the Second World War (and the soldiers who died in UN Peacekeeping missions; the Asian victims of WW2 have their own remembrance day in August). There is a nationwide two minute silence at 8pm and almost all shops close at 7pm.

« Reply #29 on: 23 April, 2019, 11:15:29 am »
Good article. I wish I'd had that taps map at the weekend, as I spent far too much time peering at houses for the illusive outdoor tap.

I'd say the card situation is a bit more mixed - a lot of places *do* accept foreign cards (Spar, train ticket machines, hotels, cafés, even market stalls), so you can be lulled into thinking everywhere does. Until you go into an Albert Heijn.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 23 April, 2019, 11:34:40 am »
Good article. I wish I'd had that taps map at the weekend, as I spent far too much time peering at houses for the illusive outdoor tap.

I'd say the card situation is a bit more mixed - a lot of places *do* accept foreign cards (Spar, train ticket machines, hotels, cafés, even market stalls), so you can be lulled into thinking everywhere does. Until you go into an Albert Heijn.

Yeah, It's something that trips up a lot of people. A summer or 2 a go, GVB stopped taking cash on the trams and buses in Amsterdam. They accepted pin only. A couple of weeks later they changed it to accept credit cards when they realised that noone but the Dutch uses Maestro. If you read the Maestro page on wikipedia, it's basically a list of when various countries stopped using it.

.NL loves it tho. If you're a business doing 500 transactions a month, it's about €0.02 per transaction in fees. That's cheaper than cash, and every Dutch person has a card, so why worry about anything else...

Train ticket machines have only stopped charging €0.50 extra to use a credit card in the last year.

Although I mostly agree with your blog post, there are two things I would like to add (as a Dutch person). Yes, we like "klinkers" (or block paving as it is apparently called in English?) but they are comfortable enough when you're running 25mm tyres. On very long rides (400+km), I do drop the pressure in my front tyre by roughly 1 bar to get a little bit less road buzz.

It varies a lot in quality. The coastal route up north from Amsterdam towards Uitdam is particularly bad. The surface on bits of the Amsterdam Rijn Kanal is bloody awful.

Most bicycle shops do carry the essentials for a road bike (in particular inner tubes), but yeah don't count on it and expect to pay the (extortionate) recommended retail price. However, there are a couple of big stores not too far from the route who carry everything you could potentially need for your bike. In particular, I'm thinking about Mantel in Arnhem (mantel.com), Belga Fietsen in Groningen (belgafietsen.nl, on weekdays open until 9pm) and Math Salden in Limbricht.

Oh, that's useful to know. Might add that to the blog post.

And don't forget that on May 4 we remember the (European) victims of the Second World War (and the soldiers who died in UN Peacekeeping missions; the Asian victims of WW2 have their own remembrance day in August). There is a nationwide two minute silence at 8pm and almost all shops close at 7pm.

Good point, will add that too.

J
--

rob

« Reply #31 on: 23 April, 2019, 11:52:47 am »
Hope you all have good rides.   I suspect I would have been OK as my road fitness has returned faster than expected.

There's always next year.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 25 April, 2019, 12:45:19 pm »

Tracking link for those who want to follow along at home:

https://ratn2019.legendstracking.com/

J
--

« Reply #33 on: 25 April, 2019, 04:52:32 pm »
Ooh, look! I'm rider 79!

:thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #34 on: 25 April, 2019, 10:28:44 pm »
Hadn't realised they had updated the requirements for reflective material this year, just spent a couple of hours adding stuff (90 minutes ransacking the flat to find the reflective material, 25 mins cleaning crap off the bike, 5 minutes putting the stickers on...).

Have pretty much run out of space on the seat stays to attach more reflective material. There's a bit of space on the underside, but if that is visible to anything, then I've probably got problems...

I still need to fit the wheel reflectors, but I'll do that after the wheels have been fettled, my tame wheel builder will only moan at me if I turn up with them fitted tomorrow.

Three lights with integral reflectors at the rear. Plus all the tape. Anyone trying to claim they didn't see me at night is going to look bloody stupid in court...

Tomorrow I'm going to get the bike serviced (wheels trued, headset adjusted (to fit a new bell), gear cable inners replaced, replace innards of rear hub).

How's everyone else's prep going?

J
--

Phil W

« Reply #35 on: 26 April, 2019, 04:06:47 pm »
Good luck all.

« Reply #36 on: 26 April, 2019, 04:11:01 pm »

Three lights with integral reflectors at the rear.

Of which two are visible from behind!

« Reply #37 on: 26 April, 2019, 04:41:08 pm »
Currently trying to get this lot strapped onto the Guv'nor

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: 26 April, 2019, 05:28:12 pm »

Three lights with integral reflectors at the rear.

Of which two are visible from behind!

Based on the comments of the poor sod who tried drafting me in the dark recently when I only had that light on, there was no issue with visibility of that light...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: 26 April, 2019, 05:32:21 pm »

Took my bike to the Vet^W^W Madmen to have it's service before the race.

Stephen dutifully replaced all the innards of the rear hub, (I'd got the parts for him). Then stuck the wheel on the truing stand and spotted a small problem...

Oops. Have just ridden it home, very very very very carefully. Fortunately I do have a spare wheel, tho we did spent a few minutes seeing what suitable replacement rims we could get to the shop by Monday. I've two whole spare sets of wheels, which I've checked and they are fine, so I'll use them.

Will replace this rim with an H+son archetype after the race.

Also spotted the Bottom bracket is shot *AGAIN*, fortunately I have a replacement one in stock. I dunno what I'm doing to them, or if it's just me buying cheap parts, but I seem to get through them at an alarming rate (hence having a spare in stock).

Gonna be an interesting weekend...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: 26 April, 2019, 05:35:24 pm »

Stove and food to cook? Interesting choice. What's your food plan?

J
--

« Reply #41 on: 26 April, 2019, 06:02:02 pm »
Also spotted the Bottom bracket is shot *AGAIN*, fortunately I have a replacement one in stock. I dunno what I'm doing to them, or if it's just me buying cheap parts, but I seem to get through them at an alarming rate (hence having a spare in stock).

What BBs are you trashing so quickly? If it's Hollowtech II, especially if it's the NDS bearing that is going, my first suspicion would be over tightening the bearing preload. (Weather sealing isn't great either, which doesn't help.)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 26 April, 2019, 06:13:33 pm »

What BBs are you trashing so quickly? If it's Hollowtech II, especially if it's the NDS bearing that is going, my first suspicion would be over tightening the bearing preload. (Weather sealing isn't great either, which doesn't help.)

Shimano SM-BB52. I ride in all weathers, including rain, & snow. I think it's just the weather sealing not being up to the job. I need to check the box of used parts, this one is either the second or 3rd to be worn out in about 14000km. including 2 Dutch winters, and zero maintenance.

Replacements are €13 each, so it's not an expensive part... Just wish they lasted longer as there seems to be no easy recycling path for them...

J

--

« Reply #43 on: 26 April, 2019, 07:41:59 pm »

How are you strapping on the spaniel?

Also spotted the Bottom bracket is shot *AGAIN*

What's your definition of shot? I notice my BBR60s occasionally seem to go slightly clicky, but if you ride through they clear.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 27 April, 2019, 11:40:56 am »
You know that spare wheel? It also has a Pacenti rim...

Fortunately, the spare spare set, built round DP18 rims is fine, but means I have to swap the 32mm GP5000 for a used 28mm GP4000s ii.

Arse.

J
--

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 27 April, 2019, 12:18:01 pm »
Fortunately, the spare spare set, built round DP18 rims is fine, but means I have to swap the 32mm GP5000 for a used 28mm GP4000s ii.

Arse.

I can't be bothered to google for internal width, but are you SURE it won't take a 32? I think Mavic have a handy chart, which I cannot currently find...

Arse!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 27 April, 2019, 12:22:15 pm »
I can't be bothered to google for internal width, but are you SURE it won't take a 32? I think Mavic have a handy chart, which I cannot currently find...

Arse!

Unfortunately not. the 13mm internal width means the 28's are technically out of spec. But given I took 28mm marathon's off, I'm hoping 28mm conti's will be Ok.

J
--

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 27 April, 2019, 12:26:20 pm »
Ah right. 13 really is very narrow!

Anyway, many 1000k+ rides have been completed on 23mm tyres, so I'm sure you'll be OK with 28  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #48 on: 27 April, 2019, 12:30:11 pm »
Ah right. 13 really is very narrow!

Anyway, many 1000k+ rides have been completed on 23mm tyres, so I'm sure you'll be OK with 28  :thumbsup:

Yup. It's more of an annoyance than anything else. Just glad I don't need to go narrower. This is beyond the manufacturer recommended limit. I don't want to do this for too long. I just hope it gets me through the next 2 weeks...

My wheel builder is going to love me this month...

J
--

« Reply #49 on: 01 May, 2019, 09:02:19 pm »
The pack is moving at lightning speed, the current leader has racked up 430km in just 14 hrs... I was hoping to catch the race leaders as they pass by my home town (at the 510k mark), but i tseems they'll pass in the dead of night. Maybe I'll see some of the slower riders tomorrow evening.