Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by Beardy on Today at 09:00:17 am »
<snippage>How do some of these arsewipes get elected?
Upward management and arselickery of the selection committees. Standard senior management tactics in fact.
« Last post by Redlight on Today at 08:58:58 am »
Can't help but compare with my MP, who is endlessly contactable, see her on stands in public all the time, and in westminster. How do some of these arsewipes get elected?

"Safe" seats in most cases. I used to live in a true blue constituency where the local MP was so conspicuous by his absence that his own constituency activists used to joke that they had to send him an A-Z every four years so he could find his way there on polling night.  It's not that in every safe seat you will find a useless MP but I suspect that every useless MP is in a safe seat.

What was also interesting was that in some areas of Portsmouth, it was shown that due to lack of enforcement, some roads saw an increase in the speed along them!

Part of the problem was thought be a difference in perception.

Whereas pedestrians assumed the traffic would be slower and hence safer, the endemic speeding meant that the opposite

If a road looks safe at 40 mph, many  people are going to drive at 40  no matter what the limit. A 'clearly ridiculous' limit may increase that tendency.  One way to control speed is to make it visually less safe, and seem more likely tof contain pedestrians,  bikes, and other things to hit.
This.

There have been several studies into this effect. Used to be a design assumption that clear sightlines in residential estates would keep pedestrian injuries down, as drivers could see them. Reality was that serious injuries were higher, because people drove faster. Wiggly roads without clear sightlines and people drove slower, more cautiously.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Last post by Redlight on Today at 08:53:03 am »
Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Not bad, but not great either.

I took my 10 year-old to see it. It's the first time I've been to see one of them in the cinema. All the others I've seen for the first time on DVD over the past couple of years as he's been watching them with parental supervision. 

What can I say?  The script has more holes than Blackburn, Lancashire - the one Jakob describes beneath his spoiler is huge, but they are everywhere.  The underlying story seems to be kind of jamboree bag of cod mysticism, half-baked ideas from Tolkein's and JK Rowling's discarded notebooks, and lots of REALLY LOUD explosions.  I've seen more engaging characters, and acting, on In The Night Garden, particularly poor Carrie Fisher, whose character seems to spend most of the film wandering around wearing the expression of someone who has just realised that she has put a red sock in with the white bedding. And every major character is clearly half-human, half-cat, using up their nine lives every half hour or so, yet having still more available. 

Can you guess that I really didn't like it? 
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 08:49:14 am »
Take a bow, David Morris.  Tory MP for Morecambe & Lunesdale, expenses fiddler and now proponent of the theory that reports of the effects of poverty from GPs and schools in his constituency are (a fabricated) part of a Momentum-driven smear campaign against him.  Critical comments on his Farcebok page are deleted and the poster blocked, a policy which he apparently extends to constituents who try to contact him.

The honest burghers of Morecambe need to take the enormotwat walkies in the Bay just before the tide turns, and then run the fuck away.
I've been reading this, multiple complaints by constituents that he refuses to meet, won't reply to messages, blocks them on fb, etc.

Can't help but compare with my MP, who is endlessly contactable, see her on stands in public all the time, and in westminster. How do some of these arsewipes get elected?

What was also interesting was that in some areas of Portsmouth, it was shown that due to lack of enforcement, some roads saw an increase in the speed along them!

Part of the problem was thought be a difference in perception.

Whereas pedestrians assumed the traffic would be slower and hence safer, the endemic speeding meant that the opposite

If a road looks safe at 40 mph, many  people are going to drive at 40  no matter what the limit. A 'clearly ridiculous' limit may increase that tendency.  One way to control speed is to make it visually less safe, and seem more likely tof contain pedestrians,  bikes, and other things to hit.
Dear cycling fans,

I'm a student from the Netherlands studying: sportmarketing and management at Hogeschool Rotterdam. I’m researching the possibilities of a new (virtual) indoor cycling program that you can use at home. For this research I created a survey regarding the needs and benefits it can bring to cycling fans. This survey will only take 1-2 minutes to complete. At the end of the survey you can choose to become the test panel for a new indoor - cycling product.
Be assured that all answers you provide will be kept in the strictest confidentiality.

The link to the survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdRDjdnApwiEVESWCty__SKtbh4s09dB3wS4DlfBP_0oYGAmw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thank you in advance. ;D

With kind regards,

Niels
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Roy Orbison: The New Album.
« Last post by pcolbeck on Today at 08:45:43 am »
If this new album is the one with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra its awful. Its got Roys's voice doing all the hits dubbed over a full orchestra pointlessly sawing away. The orchestra adds nothing to the original production at all.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Roy Orbison: The New Album.
« Last post by Redlight on Today at 08:34:25 am »
WTF.

Isn’t he dead?

No barrier to record companies - look at the way every breath that Eva Cassidy ever uttered within 15 ft of a tape recorder seems to have set to an anodyne backing track and packaged up for the elevator market.  Buddy Holly was still releasing "new" material more than 5 years after his death and I suspect that once his various relatives have stopped squabbling among themselves over who gets the purple boas, there will be one or two tracks to come from the Nelson family vault.

And, of course, they have been issuing stuff by "Paul McCartney" since 1967...
On The Road / Re: On the commute today
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 08:32:32 am »
Black ice this morning and Swinedun Council has halved the gritting routes to save money.  It was not pleasant.  Motorised morons not slowing down at all.  ABS does not stop you much faster, it only lets you steer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10