Author Topic: some questions no real reason  (Read 2916 times)

some questions no real reason
« on: 24 April, 2017, 09:06:54 pm »
Just musing on bike things and recumbents are something I know very little about. Two things that interest me are

Can you fit luggage onto a 2 wheel machine rather then one of the 3 wheelers?

Secondly can you tow a trailer?

Thanks

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: some questions no real reason
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:48:30 pm »
Can you fit luggage onto a 2 wheel machine rather then one of the 3 wheelers?

Sure.  As with uprights, how easily depends on the bike.  An expedition tourer will have ample luggage capabilities, while a racing machine won't.  'Banana' bags can be hung under the seat of a recumbent instead of or in addition to the use of luggage racks, and some bikes have room for a bag attached to the back of the seat.

Streetmachine with a traditional 4 Ortlieb roll-tops:

Secondly can you tow a trailer?

Sure, as long as there's a sensible way to attach it - seatpost mounting isn't likely to work.  Rear axle mounting is fine, unless perhaps it's a lightweight racer with dropouts made of fairy farts.  Tricycles and single-wheel trailers can be a bit iffy, as trikes don't lean like bicycles do, but two-wheel trailers are fine.

ICE Sprint towing a Carry Freedom Y-Frame:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:50:09 pm »
Yes to both

I've fitted luggage to my 2 wheeler, trikes and trailers are definitely a thing, but I don't know about 2 wheelers.

And then you have velomobiles

Edit. Crossed posts with Kim, I've used banana bags on my M5 racer, but I was bit worried about potential chain rub. Boom bags and behind head bags no issues.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:54:46 pm »
I've fitted luggage to my 2 wheeler, trikes and trailers are definitely a thing, but I don't know about 2 wheelers.

I've towed the trailer with the Streetmachine to prove that it worked, but it's not something I ever do.  If I'm towing the trailer it's because I'm lugging stuff, and since I've got a low-geared DF hybrid (good in traffic, not something I get too nervous about leaving locked up) and an ICE trike (super-low gearing, zero stall speed, awesome braking) available, I'm going to use one of those instead.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2017, 10:01:45 pm »
I've used banana bags on my M5 racer, but I was bit worried about potential chain rub. Boom bags and behind head bags no issues.

This sort of thing depends very much on the specfic bike and luggage combination.  It's a bit like uprights and heel strike.  Enclosed chains are less of a hazard to luggage, and cycles designed for touring will generally have luggage provision out of the way of the oily bits.

I switched from Altura Orkney panniers to Ortlieb back-rollers on the Streetmachine, as I discovered that the Ornkeys hung low enough to rub against the rear disc brake caliper as the suspension operated, resulting in a hole in the pannier and the rear brake not working properly when I sat forward at junctions.

Boom bags and the like will work well on some cycles and simply not fit others.  A bit like bar bags on uprights.

« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2017, 10:12:42 pm »
When panniers are required I use up to four ortlieb's as in Kim's photo, when less capacity is needed I have the two bags shown below. One is a recumbent specific bag the other a SKS frame bag.
IMG_20170401_134846293 by :), on Flickr

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2017, 12:11:29 am »

Here is my Fuego with its rack bag and banana bags fitted. It gives 32 litres of capacity which is enough for lightweight camping or hostel trips etc.  You can also fit more traditional rack to the seat and fit normal panniers if you want. There are also side bars you can fit for larger banana bags up to about 70 litres capacity.

The photo is from the Easter Arrow heading into the night. I was carrying a change of clothes and footwear for when we got to York.  I have chain tubes and the bananas bags funny get in the way of anything. Banana bags hang off the seat.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2017, 02:20:43 am »
HP-Velotechnik disrecommend towing with their (rear-suspended) bikes and if your machine lacks stiffness at the back then single-wheel trailers can cause all sorts of headaches.  My Kingcycle would get a serious attack of the wobs if it went over 35 km/h with a laden BoB in tow.  Which made life interesting trying to get down to Dover ferry port.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2017, 05:32:35 pm »
And it's also not recommended to put a single wheel trailer (a la BoB) on the back of a trike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2017, 05:51:54 pm »
HP-Velotechnik disrecommend towing with their (rear-suspended) bikes

That's probably because the nose weight will prevent the suspension from doing its thing properly, rather than risk of actual damage.  Those things are built like a tank.

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2017, 08:37:33 am »
I have a 26" two wheel Bacchetta and have toured with Radical Banana bags alone, and plus a 26" Extrawheel one wheel trailer when with my family. The only issues are needing to load roughly equal weights on each side and me being more cautions when descending with a trailer .....no faster than 40 mph.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5