Author Topic: Mid-Essex yacf Legendary Epiphany Do - Sat 6th January '18 - ALL WELCOME!!!  (Read 14491 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Mid-Essex yacf Legendary Epiphany Do - Sat 6th January '18 - ALL WELCOME!!!
« Reply #100 on: 05 January, 2018, 05:47:34 pm »
Get well soon OD!

Folks, I won't be at the Spoons tomorrow morning but I will join you at the Copford Village Hall where I will be with the little Tippers will be setting up the
(click to show/hide)

There is talk of them bringing a collection box this year so be prepared to fund their make up and (for Nia) drinking :-D (obviously no obligation)

:thumbsup: ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #101 on: 05 January, 2018, 07:18:23 pm »
 :thumbsup: +1

That might explain why the schedule provides 3 hours for the first leg, assuming Copford is somewhere on route.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #102 on: 05 January, 2018, 07:40:50 pm »
+1

That might explain why the schedule provides 3 hours for the first leg, assuming Copford is somewhere on route.
Yes, after Tiptree but before A12 :)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: 05 January, 2018, 08:42:36 pm »
GWS OD, we'll miss you  :'(

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #104 on: 05 January, 2018, 08:57:12 pm »
I'm annoyed and frustrated to report that I won't be out tomorrow as I have the full range of flu symptoms including an raised temperature.

Here is what everyone ordered for lunch so someone can liaise with the Thatchers Arms.  I said we'd get there between 1 and 1:30...

Tomsk - sausage and onion sub
psyclist - sausage and mash plus chocolate brownie
Oaky - small fish and chips
Christophe - halloumi and chips
tippers - ham, egg, chips
huggy - chicken strips and chocolate brownie
jibers - sausage and onion sub
Grey Sheep - fish and chips

I had a room booked at The Compasses.  Does anyone want it before I cancel the reservation?

So sorry to be missing out  ??? :'(
Australian flu?

GWS.
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #105 on: 05 January, 2018, 11:41:17 pm »
My stuff is packed.  I'm hoping my hastily bodged rack holds up to the weight.

I have OD's revised SHORT first leg loaded in my GPS

I decided my proposed route to The Thatcher's Arms was a tad long and didn't allow enough time for dawdling plus anything else which takes our fancy so how about THIS ROUTE?

and his 2nd leg

... and Leg 2 to The Compasses.

but with the (revised) jibers diversion.

Hello people, how are you?

I am using this portion of the festive period to put more flesh on the Epiphany bones. 

So far I have received lunch choices from me, Tomsk, psyclist, Oaky and Christophe.  Is that it???

I have also knocked up these route suggestions.  Leg 1 from Witham 'spoons to the Thatcher's Arms and Leg 2 to The Compasses.

I would suggest we aim to set off from the 'spoons at about 10am.  Thoughts and feedback?

Hi Steve - can I suggest rather than using the main road RBT crossing under the A131 at Blackley Lane (33.5km, R@T Mill Lane, L@T on to London Road,  L before RBT rejoins route at your current 36km) ?

did you mean:  R@T Mill Lane, R@T on to London Road,  L before RBT rejoins route at your current 36km

« Reply #106 on: 06 January, 2018, 12:14:34 am »
So OD can't come because YOU have his legs?

« Reply #107 on: 06 January, 2018, 12:19:54 am »
Not completely sure how the cakes have turned out (I blame it on the new kitchen) but the cider is feckin Awesome :P

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #108 on: 06 January, 2018, 08:21:35 am »
Not completely sure how the cakes have turned out (I blame it on the new kitchen) but the cider is feckin Awesome :P

:thumbsup:

Not entirely sure where Copford Village Hall is, I'm asuming it will be obvious from the route.  (Google is being unhelpful).

« Reply #109 on: 06 January, 2018, 08:26:39 am »
I'm annoyed and frustrated to report that I won't be out tomorrow as I have the full range of flu symptoms including an raised temperature.

So sorry to be missing out  ??? :'(

I'll pick up the confirming the food (as I'm the awkward one).

Best Wished OD - GWS

GS
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #110 on: 06 January, 2018, 12:52:47 pm »
Hope you all have a great epiphany! I would join you if I could but have been very unwell this year. Hopefully will be better by next epiphany!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #111 on: 06 January, 2018, 04:55:53 pm »
Hope you all have a great epiphany! I would join you if I could but have been very unwell this year. Hopefully will be better by next epiphany!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWS.  There's a lot of it about!

« Reply #112 on: 07 January, 2018, 09:12:32 am »
Thanks to Oscar’s Dad for organising the Epiphany Ride, and the Tipper’s clan for the superb mid-morning refreshments.

Roughly 10 of us set off from Witham on this marvellous adventure, with roads clear despite the overnight freezing conditions. The first split in the group occurred at the off-road path in Tiptree. Not sure why, as the path was firm and completely unlike the mud fest of last year. So only 3 ‘hardy’ soles traversed that route. Waited for the lightweights at a suitable place on the other side of the path. After a while we then rode on and waited at another suitable spot. Still no sign, but eventually made phone contact and found the lightweights had sneaked around, presumably to get first dibs at the cake stop.

The cake and cider-thing went down very well, so thanks to Tippers for baking, and his most kind family in helping get everybody suitably fed and refreshed.

Onwards to the lunch stop, where deeply padded seats and nostalgic music offset the lack of lunchtime entertainment, given that our cheerleader was not in our midst. Although some suggested that his ‘Australian flu’ was perhaps fake, and that he might walk in ‘dressed’ up ready to entertain. As the food arrived, so did the Straggler, which was lucky because he was able to consume the spurious additional bangers and mash that had turned up; somehow the pub had a different food order to that published above in this thread.

Having missed some rain whilst indoors, the final stretch back to Littley Green nearly went by without incident. One group followed the jiberjaber alternative, which diverted via a lake in an underpass. It was not shallow, and those riders who have not yet mastered how to keep their feet clear of flood water somewhat predictably got wet feet! The other group were not so troubled, and turned up first to the Compasses.

The hunters were in raucous voice initially, but once the green room was vacated we were able to continue in our more normal style. Stylish some were, wearing from dinner suit down to what might best be described as the strippers version of bow tie and cumbernauld. Despite his best efforts this year, Andy3ccccc was not able to win the award for the second year in a row. The prize got duly passed on to jiberjaber, who already has plans to add suitable electronics with accompanying phone-app control.

As to who won the brew off after camping through the bitter night, we await their report with baited breath.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #113 on: 07 January, 2018, 01:55:09 pm »
A bit more detail to add to Psyclist's excellent report  :thumbsup:

Huggy, Tomsk, Christophe, Jiber, Oaky, the Hustler, Psyclist, Grey Sheep and I assembled at the 'Spoons (where all great adventures begin).  Oaky and I started as we meant to go on and enjoyed a quick pint with breakfast.

The Tippers secret control was excellent this year. I particularly enjoyed the banana bread.  The other cakes looked good but Huggy pretty much ate the whole tray of raspberry and white chocolate cake so it wasn't easy getting hold of any.  We also picked up Tippers himself there.

The Thatchers Arms was a good lunch stop but being at the top of a hill it was a test for those of us without enough winter miles.  Psyclist was not impressed with our fitness levels generally and mooted a series of training rides for next year's edition - the very thought !

Whilst eating lunch, I happened to look out of the window and saw a familiar figure making his way up the hill, it was the Straggler and for once he was not riding a 200 as well.  He was a welcome addition to our merry band.  Lunch is definitely a lot quieter without OD but at least we didn't have to listen to him "sing". 

It was disturbingly chilly while Oaky and I were pitching our tents at the Compasses so we resolved to ensure that we had sufficient alcohol on board to see us through the night.

Golden Thread by Salopian won the Quaffers' Choice award but there was also an excellent Porter on - Pickled Walnut by Mighty Oak.

As is now customary, those of us who had bothered to dress properly made up a top table and left the riff raff to their own devices.  As the night drew on it was eventually just the top table left.  By this time Oaky and I had moved on to the wine list.

With only two campers, the after party was looking a bit threadbare but we managed to persuade Mr and Mrs Jiber to join us for our champagne in the beer garden.  It was so cold that our champagne flutes were sliding off the table.  Luckily we had a consultant engineer on hand and disaster was averted by the simple addition of some paper napkins under the glasses.  Jiber left looking a little less than steady on his feet but luckily for him he was being whisked home by team car.

Oaky and I went off to our separate tents with the serious business of the brew off running through our minds.  Oaky had already tried to sabotage my attempt by adding ice cubes to my water bottle  >:(  so I knew it was game on after my walkover victory last year - I had drunk two cups of tea and put my tent away by the time Oaky surfaced.

I heard the familiar Trangia rattle at about 9am, Oaky had managed to get up before me and was in pole position.  He was also using some sort of French concoction instead of meths - fuel rods from a nuclear reactor judging by how quickly he was bringing his water to the boil.  The brew off was soon lost and Oaky stood there looking smug with his coffee while I waited for my water to boil. I think he was eating his first bacon roll by the time my tea was ready. 

And so another Epiphany ride was over.  Although it was different this year with so few campers and so many struck down with man flu, it was no less fun than ever. 
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #114 on: 08 January, 2018, 05:51:12 am »
 ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #115 on: 08 January, 2018, 06:15:31 pm »
;D
Great fun.

Thanks for organising - sorry you were too ill to take part. That tall lady who showed up after you left last year wasn't there either.