Author Topic: Cookson out  (Read 2876 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Cookson out
« on: 21 September, 2017, 12:37:03 pm »
Brian Cookson has been replaced as UCI President by David Lappartient, making him the first ever president of the UCI to serve only one term. I await more knowledgeable opinions as to what the significance of this might be.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: Cookson out
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2017, 06:19:49 pm »
Here is one view by someone who has followed cycling for some time:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/sep/21/david-lappartient-wind-of-change-cycling-brian-cookson-uci-president

And I like the reference to the 'Macron' factor.

No doubt the UK is increasingly being seen as being out of step with others following some recent decisions on our future.

« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2017, 06:34:29 pm »
Nah.....its more to do with other federations getting fed up with the rampant doping by Team Sky and the blind eye turned by Cookson.

When you have cycling now dominated by a man who was winning nothing and good at nothing having transformed in a matter of weeks to the best GT racer in the world then you can hardly blame them.

Let's see if next year the UCI test for motors continues to consist of merely waving an iPad at the bike, and whether Team Sky's TT bikes continue to weigh 800g more than everybody else's...

« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2017, 08:33:13 pm »
Have you heard the rumour, the earth is not flat after all!  No doubt some folk will never believe that.

« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2017, 08:41:42 pm »
Here's what Christian Prudhomme said about Lappartient's victory:

"“David Lappartient is prioritising the credibility of cycling as a prerequisite to everything else. He has always supported a movement that is particularly close to my heart, the Movement for Credible Cycling (MPCC). Because that’s the foundation for everything, the starting point for a magnificent sport. So I’m obviously pleased with that, and I do not doubt him for a single second because he’s a man of action, who will carry out what he says he will."

The MPCC is a voluntary movement that requires signatories to abstain from practices such as using Tues for costicosteroids.  Team Sky
...the cleanest team out there...refused to sign up. We know exactly why they didn't, dont we.

Its no coincidence that Prudhomme, the director of the TdF, brings this up.

« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2017, 09:18:26 am »
TUEs are sanctioned by UCI and TDF organisers. Prudhomme could stop them immediately if he so decided as a condition of participating in TDF and other races is within his gift. He chooses not to because he knows that is nonsense and the reason why so many other teams decline to join the voluntary group MPCC as there is no requirement.  List of teams here:

http://www.mpcc.fr/index.php/en/membres-uk

I look forward to the changes proposed by Lappartient and to see whether he is influenced by an organiser of races.

In the meantime, a young  charismatic chap who is clearly good at convincing folk of his ability has replaced a much older and more boring bloke that lacks charisma. Hopefully this will be good for cycling and good for racing.  I'm looking forward to more great racing next year like we had this year and looking forward to seeing how all teams develop their race tactics to challenge the dominant teams.

Oh, and I've had it confirmed that the world is not flat and you will not fall over the edge.  Still won't stop some folk believing that, but that's their choice and it might make them fell better.  In reality, their views make little difference but I doubt that will matter as once you have a drum to bang then I suppose you feel the need to go bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang .....................!

« Reply #6 on: 22 September, 2017, 01:39:03 pm »
The MPCC does not permit TUES for corticosteroids... you know, that stuff that was ordered in huge quantities by BC/Team Sky with no records kept of its use, whose administration was denied by Wiggins until the Fancy Bears leaked it, and which was used to win races.

No wonder Team Sky won't join the MPCC! It doesn't matter that there may be a few other teams that refuse to join...I don't doubt that Team Sky arent the only dirty team.

Jiffy bag, "Fluimucil", Dr Geert Leinders, Bradley "Ive never had an injection" Wiggins, Chris 'Zero to Hero' Froome, 'marginal gains', "accidental" delivery of Testosterone, Richard "lost my laptop with all my records" Freeman...

Yeah, you keep lapping it all up, VM.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2017, 02:01:54 pm »
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!

« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2017, 02:19:17 pm »
Whatever you do, dont open your eyes. You won't be able to cope.

« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2017, 04:05:21 pm »
Even with my eyes closed I can still hear:

Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!

« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2017, 05:15:51 pm »
You know sooner or later you will be having to eat shit pie.

Its just a matter of time

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2017, 05:21:37 pm »
You two should get a room.

« Reply #12 on: 22 September, 2017, 05:33:42 pm »
Veloman has a massive boner for Froome. I wouldn't get a look in  ;)

« Reply #13 on: 26 September, 2017, 12:46:37 pm »
You know sooner or later you will be having to eat shit pie.

Its just a matter of time

I can imagine you saying this to your little brother about Father Christmas.

I reckon Sky's efforts to promote cycling outweigh any potential disappointment over Wiggo or Froome. People have got on bikes. Same with Cookson, who's ridden more than a few Audaxes in his time.

« Reply #14 on: 26 September, 2017, 01:35:12 pm »
You'd be wrong. I dont have a little brother.

Yeah. And Lance Armstrong did a lot for cancer. Shame about what he did to cycling ::-)

« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:03:16 pm »
David Lappartient may be a much better politician than Brian Cookson but the Breton Regional Commitee is not exactly renowned as a hotbed of track cycling so I will wait and see but I don't have any great expectations for the disciplines that interest me.
The fact that he is very much in favour with the big money names does not necessarily bode well for the battle against doping either. Wait and see. For now I think that the only thing we have learnt is that Cookson had poor defensive technique against being stabbed in the back. Will his successor fare any better?