Author Topic: Re opening of disused railway lines.  (Read 6565 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Re opening of disused railway lines.
« Reply #25 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:22:59 am »

Take Route 6 : between the centre of Leicester and Blaby it's an excellent, well used, well maintained disused railway  with an asphalt surface; between Market Harborough and Northampton it's a poor, badly maintained disused railway with 'dust and stone' surfacing.
I'm sure if the Northampton section had a bit of investment there is potential for greater use (cycle commuting from Brixworth; and Park&Cycle into Market H).
heh.  when I was young that was a real railway, I'd cross it twice daily on schooldays.  There was a (wo)manned* level crossing with a signal-box alike structure for the people on duty.  Then there was a footbridge a bit further down if you used the footpath instead of the road, though tbh if on the footpath mostly we skipped across the track paying careful attention.
*tbh all the staff I saw were male, it was the 1970s after all.

Completely OT - my grandmother was a Crossing Keeper in the 1960s on the line between Leighton Buzzard & Dunstable - I used to spend most of my summer holidays 'helping' her, or trailing after the gangs of (Polish) platelayers.
So female railway workers weren't completely unheard of!

Sent from my P01W using Tapatalk
Although terms like signalman have been replaced with signaller, level crossings are still referred to as manned (rather than eg staffed), eg "Manned Controlled Barrier with Obstacle Detection". Though obviously most are automatic nowadays.

Ed: Thinking about it, the official term is actually "Manually Controlled" rather than "Manned Crossing" but it hasn't yet filtered down to the geeks and cranks.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26 on: 06 February, 2018, 07:38:37 pm »
I used the Northampton to market harborough section of ncn6 riding up to Rutland water last year and the further from Northampton I got the worse the surface good till about 4 miles market harborough by which time I was going downhill  :)
the slower you go the more you see

ian

« Reply #27 on: 06 February, 2018, 07:51:10 pm »
Apropos of nothing, while fireman has a clear gender attribution, manned is just a verb. Women can, and often do, man things, while retaining their womanly attributes for instance:

Four women manned the booth for SendOutCards.com, which prints personalized greetings for its clientele. "They are complementary to a business," said Carole Anne Lamb, who is based in Cornville in the Verde Valley. "This is all done online and these cards are printed in our main office in Salt Lake City ...

FEMALE sailors took the helm of a Portsmouth warship as she was guided into London. HMS Kent visited the capital this week on her way to take part in the Battle of Jutland centenary commemorations this month. Women manned the bridge to steer the Type 23 frigate down the Thames and into Canary ...

« Reply #28 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:34:55 pm »
If you like playing fantasy route planning of railway lines, I recommend this:

https://www.openrailwaymap.org/

but I take no responsibility for those yours you'll never get back  :demon:

« Reply #29 on: 07 February, 2018, 08:42:43 am »
If you like playing fantasy route planning of railway lines, I recommend this:

https://www.openrailwaymap.org/

but I take no responsibility for those yours you'll never get back  :demon:
Thanks for that. I've already wasted 20 minutes without trying (I now am starting to understand the routes East of Leicester. Sigh)

Sent from my P01W using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.