Author Topic: Mid-Essex rides what aren't audaxes!  (Read 8167 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex rides what aren't audaxes!
« Reply #50 on: 08 February, 2018, 05:39:17 pm »
I have received an invite from the Lee Valley Velodrome for the period April to June if as a club we would like to visit again.  The sessions we have usually enjoyed are on Wednesday evenings starting at 8pm.  Weekend mornings are also available but we have not been allocated one of those yet.
I have a short window in which to reply if we want to apply for a club session.  Please reply here if you are interested.  If I get enough interest I'll apply.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #51 on: 30 April, 2018, 12:20:06 pm »
Over on the MEMWNS thread we're talking about going for a bivvy one Wednesday evening.

« Reply #52 on: 30 April, 2018, 03:29:42 pm »
I have a bivi bag too - an Alpkit  :thumbsup:

Tentatively up for a mini-adventure.

I get the 5-9 thing and going into work the next day but surely a mini-adventure could be a bit more adventurous than the woods next to Witham ?  It's hardly going to be a Sunday lie in with tea and papers kind of scenario is it.  Most likely, we'll be wiping the slugs out of our mouths and getting back on the bikes before 5am.

I am assuming no Trangias etc (so no brew off  :() and just a tarp, a bivi and a trowel (if you are OD).

Set off at 5(ish), dinner in a hostelry by 8, possibly a bit more riding, a few cold ones round a campfire (or not, depending on where we end up) - (Oaky and I will be on our usual tipple with crystal flutes), crawl into bivi bags as late as possible, wriggle around trying to get comfortable, fall asleep for a couple of hours, get cold, remove slugs, give up, laugh at OD trying to dig hole and head somewhere for breakfast.

Remote beach, campfire an option depending on where ?

Go forrin' - last time you went to Thetford which might be a stretch for this but there must be somewhere closer in Suffolk.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #53 on: 30 April, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »
I'm up for suggestions re bivvy sites.  The reason I suggested a Witham wood was that it was convenient for those who have expressed an interest thus far, also start with something less taxing to begin with, then get bolder, but like I said I'm open to suggestions  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #54 on: 01 May, 2018, 11:10:43 pm »
Beach sounds good less slugs!
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: 02 May, 2018, 08:58:09 am »
East Mersea, the shell beach at Bradwell, The Naze??? All accessible by bike and remote-ish. Avoid spring tides...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #56 on: 02 May, 2018, 09:11:53 am »
East Mersea, the shell beach at Bradwell, The Naze??? All accessible by bike and remote-ish. Avoid spring tides...

Cool. What about Wednesday 23rd May?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #57 on: 02 May, 2018, 11:42:46 am »
Just thinking about this, East Mersea beach might be nicer as the roads to and from Bradwell are a bit nasty.  Also Mersea is closer to more people's centre of gravity, train assist from Colchester might be useful for some, on the outward leg we perhaps could involve the Brightlingsea ferry / mini landing craft ("Prepare to storm the beach (wo)men!  To victory and glory!")  :thumbsup:  And we can pop to ted's from breakfast  ;D

« Reply #58 on: 02 May, 2018, 12:19:12 pm »
Maybe Admiral Nelson and I could moor our sister ships in Pyefleet Channel for bacon rolls in the morning.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #59 on: 02 May, 2018, 12:25:43 pm »
Maybe Admiral Nelson and I could moor our sister ships in Pyefleet Channel for bacon rolls in the morning.

Careful, you and Grey Sheep look away for a second and find Oaky has timber clad / clinker planked both vessels and hung pubbe signs from your spreaders  ::-)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 02 May, 2018, 01:32:42 pm »
23rd May is ok for me  :thumbsup:

« Reply #61 on: 02 May, 2018, 02:33:32 pm »
The first day of the first test at Lord's is on the 24th so I am sure many of us will be heading down there the next day and therefore unable to make a bivi night on the 23rd - but those of you that can make it, enjoy.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #62 on: 02 May, 2018, 03:14:35 pm »
The first day of the first test at Lord's is on the 24th so I am sure many of us will be heading down there the next day and therefore unable to make a bivi night on the 23rd - but those of you that can make it, enjoy.

I didn't realise Scottish people followed cricket #everydayisaschoolday.

So, apart from me and Tomsk, who else could make the night of Wednesday 23rd?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #63 on: 02 May, 2018, 03:59:57 pm »

I'm in Edinburgh that week, so I won't be able to drive the team van to Mersea
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #64 on: 02 May, 2018, 04:09:23 pm »
Just as well huggy, I'm not sure the Brightlingsea ferry landing craft is big enough for your van  ::-)

« Reply #65 on: 02 May, 2018, 04:54:37 pm »
Suggest you check ferry times as, when I last tried to get it, it was only running weekends. Also it doesn't run particularly late / early.

« Reply #66 on: 02 May, 2018, 04:58:56 pm »

Does anyone go to cricket for the cricket?

« Reply #67 on: 02 May, 2018, 05:19:20 pm »

I can make it if it's not raining. I'm washing my hair if it is  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #68 on: 02 May, 2018, 05:31:41 pm »

Does anyone go to cricket for the cricket?

Me ! (with the odd tincture during the day to keep me going  ;D)

I have tickets for the first day of the Pakistan Test at Lord's and the first day of the India test at Lord's.  Test cricket is where it's at.

I am also lowering myself to attend the ODI against Australia at the Oval but that comes with a lot of hospitality so I shouldn't need to be too offended by the shorter form of the beautiful game.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #69 on: 02 May, 2018, 05:41:01 pm »
I don’t think ted is Scottish at all, he’s just having us on!

« Reply #70 on: 03 May, 2018, 02:40:32 pm »
The last time I went to a cricket match some folk were using a bike innertube to help avoid leaving their beers for the toilet.....colonials!