Author Topic: The Times  (Read 2096 times)

The Times
« on: 25 April, 2018, 08:15:59 am »
I am very disappointed in the standard of journalism from The Times, once a highly respected and trustworthy purveyor of news, in their reporting of the christian girl and the muslim foster families. 

Is this the thin end of the wedge or just an aberration i wonder?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: The Times
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2018, 09:09:59 am »
Murdoch rag, what's the country coming to, blah blah blah (contd. p.94)
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2018, 09:29:05 am »
I accept that it is a Murdoch publication but for instance afaik it remains the one verified newspaper publication with court reports.   As a student I could legitimately cite Times Law Reports in assignments but the Sun, Mail, Express, even the Telegraph were not bona fide sources.  Such editorial prejudice should imo cause it's status to be reassessed.

I liked to cite as many different reports as I could which made for an awful lot of research and reading.  I even used to buy the Times on a Wednesday just for the legal section.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2018, 02:24:42 pm »
I think in some aspects it has declined since the present editor took over (his predecessor went off to be head of news at the BBC, I think). The incumbent had previously been editor of the Sunday Times and had overseen a similar decline, at least in the areas of coverage with which I had some involvement. These things ebb and flow - the Express, at the other extreme, looks as though it may improve under its new editor.  The Mail is, of course, a lost cause.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2018, 02:54:49 pm »
It used to be a splendid paper. It still does some stuff well, but I find it is often a day late with news items, and it has become infested with some quite nasty columunists.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2018, 09:15:11 pm »
I'm sure I recall that for a brief period The Independent was accorded some sort of 'official paper of record' accolade.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2018, 09:31:49 pm »
The Times doesn't have an editor. To wriggle out of his commitment to accept independent approval of any editor appointed, Rupert only appoints "acting" editors.

« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2018, 09:40:36 pm »
Great Uncle Bulgaria used to read it, but these days I'm sure he'd have switched to the Guardian (best of a bad bunch IMHO).   My local Co-op sells the Morning Star,  I must pick up a copy, I've never tried that one.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2018, 09:57:13 pm »
Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; the Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

;) :demon: ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2018, 09:33:24 am »
Coming here from Leftpondia, I held The Times in high esteem.  Then I bought a copy (in 1999).  To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.  I encountered writing that would have earned me a reprimand in high school. 
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:13:22 am »
The New York Times seems pretty good from my limited encounters with it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:03:40 pm »
I do like the NYT, especially it's defiantly old school layout and typology (which I love), and willingness to print stories that have more than 300 words.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:29:20 pm »
I do like the NYT, especially it's defiantly old school layout and typology (which I love), and willingness to print stories that have more than 300 words.
Did you mean typography?  Or is typology something new for me to learn about? 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:57:42 pm »
Sorry, typography. I'm concurrently doing something unmentionable that requires me machine-gunning slides with the word ontology. Hence a brainial wordmerge.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2018, 01:08:29 pm »
NYT's fine, though the International Herald Tribune was far better back when it was co-owned by the NYT, WaPo & LA Times.

Fitted the bottom of the parrot's cage perfectly, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2018, 01:46:09 pm »
my day is
ontology
machine learning
artificial intelligence
big data
meta
is my data
and such is
my
day

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2018, 01:47:56 pm »
Didn't His Bobness write a song about this?