Author Topic: Manchester-Blackpool FNRttC 1st June 2018.  (Read 6642 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Manchester-Blackpool FNRttC 1st June 2018.
« Reply #25 on: 28 May, 2018, 07:43:22 am »
That and the fact that York is unavoidably East. Of either...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #26 on: 28 May, 2018, 12:52:27 pm »
Ah, I see.
Other problem is....
I suppose I also was including those coming by train who fancied a cycle to York.

I suppose if not wishing to carry camping luggage one could send it ahead to Saturday lodgings but thats becoming complicated....

Sounds likes it is not worth it other than to people getting a ferry and a train as opposed to train-only.

I presume a Thursday night ride from York Rally to coast was too much like heresy.... :) 

« Reply #27 on: 28 May, 2018, 07:40:21 pm »
I'd like to let the cafe know who wants a veggie or non-veggie breakfast so please let me know either on here or via PM.

« Reply #28 on: 28 May, 2018, 09:22:07 pm »
Non veggie x 2 please
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 28 May, 2018, 09:26:28 pm »
Non-veggie but my digestive system can't handle the Full English (or indeed the Full Welsh).  I'd normally play it by ear (sausage bap or similar would be typical).

« Reply #30 on: 29 May, 2018, 06:45:53 pm »
Been away for a few days but pleased you have found a place to eat in Fleetwood for breakfast. Please don't forget your locks in Blackpool and remove anything nickable from your bikes. Blackpool North Station is back up the prom North 200m and turn inland 300m, the station is on your left with a  Sainsburys opposite for snacks for the train.I hope the Fylde is kind to you weather wise as it can be a wee bit breezy at times,and enjoy the ride.

« Reply #31 on: 29 May, 2018, 08:45:21 pm »
Thanks for the breakfast replies everyone and the local input seasider.

I've just posted this on CycleChat:-

"Thanks to the TEC volunteers, I hope you have a quiet night........

Some route info:-
As I've previously said, we're going to leave Manchester via NCN6 through Drinkwater Park and Outwood Country Park to Radcliffe and then Bury.
After that we'll be following the traditional route until we get near to Garstang.
We'll stop, as usual, in Bury to remember AlanS/jogler.

A few words about NCN6. The first part is smooth, hard-packed gravel. Once over the M60 it's a tarmac trail with some mud/leaf mulch on top. I've ridden this route many times in all sorts of weather on slick tyres as narrow as 24mm. It's fine.

There are a few "tricky" sections.
We have to cross an ankle high barrier which which will mean picking the bikes up.
Over the M60 there are a couple of bike gates seemingly designed to remove rear derailleurs.
The most difficult section is a 50m long ramp up to the bridge over the M60. I've always ridden this but there's no shame in walking. If you want help, please ask.

If we're tight for time as we approach Garstang, I'm going to use the A6 for a few miles. At 06.00 it's very quiet IME.

Good news: McDonald's Whitebirk has had a makeover.
Bad news: It's still a McDonald's and the coffee is still very expensive by McDonald's standards.

I've dared to look at the weather forecast; it looks good for the ride. "

« Reply #32 on: 29 May, 2018, 10:29:53 pm »
The final missive from me this evening:

I'll come along to Piccadilly from ~22.30 to "meet and greet" with a view to getting to Albert Square at 23.30.
If you're arriving earlier than that you might want to consider getting together for food and drinks with other people via this or the yACF thread.

« Reply #33 on: 30 May, 2018, 09:44:35 am »
I guess we’ll be at the bar up the stairs at Picadilly station where we met last year, unless anyone has any better ideas

« Reply #34 on: 31 May, 2018, 09:56:32 am »
Yes, the bar upstairs in Piccadilly.

A picture of BPool Prom from a recce earlier this month. The Tower in the distance is where the pub is:-

18-05-21 BPool prom by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #35 on: 31 May, 2018, 11:05:08 am »
Bit gutted but I won’t make this after all. Combination of my lift falling through and a ride leader bailing out of our family ride on Saturday and only me available to fill in.  Maybe next year. (Think I said that last year!)

« Reply #36 on: 31 May, 2018, 04:53:52 pm »
Sorry to hear that Jane, hope you can make it next year.

Latest list:-

Ali C*
Barry M
Cathy G*
Dave L*
George W
Gordon P
Helen T
Kim W
Marcus C
Mark Mc*
Nasir M
Peter H
Sonia W
Yoav T

Expressions of interest:-

Andrew Bu

« Reply #37 on: 01 June, 2018, 09:24:29 pm »
Warm and very humid in MCR tonight.
The forecast looks good for the duration of the ride although I understand that there have been some heavy showers in the north of the city.
I'll be setting off into town in about 40 minutes. I'm looking forward to this.

« Reply #38 on: 01 June, 2018, 09:55:41 pm »
We’re at the upstairs bar The Mill at at Picadilly enjoying a drink. See you later.

« Reply #39 on: 02 June, 2018, 08:30:24 pm »
Well, that was eventful .....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 02 June, 2018, 08:34:48 pm »

But thankfully not in a flashing blue lights kind of way.

« Reply #41 on: 02 June, 2018, 09:13:55 pm »

But thankfully not in a flashing blue lights kind of way.

Indeed, but probably one of the most surreal 18 hours of my life so far.

(Really too tired to post anything more comprehensive so off to bed now)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #42 on: 02 June, 2018, 10:39:42 pm »
Looking forward to reading more comprehensive reports....I'd have been there if I could have got the day off...

« Reply #43 on: 03 June, 2018, 06:56:36 am »
You're ramping up the interest nicely there yoav......

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #44 on: 03 June, 2018, 01:05:47 pm »
I hear it was pretty 'atmospheric' on the tops. Unfortunately I didn't make it past Bury thanks to this

Pretty terminal for the frame* :(

Thanks Andrew for organising and for the route as far as I saw it. Maybe next year I'll make it to the coast :facepalm:

*The 80s Raleigh Criterium frame I bought to replace the other one I broke at the cassette end of the same chainstay this time last year ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #45 on: 03 June, 2018, 10:18:55 pm »
Well here goes:

Phase 1: the meetup.

Having arrived first at Manchester Piccadilly, myself and Mrs Yoav, Helen, took up position on the 1st floor balcony bar where we could spot everyone else arriving. Eventually others arrived and made our way to Albert Square where a group of 16 were ready to set off under Andrew’s experienced leadership. So far, so predictable.

Phase 2: the depart.

Initial riding through Manchester back roads gave no indication of what was to come. After what seemed like numerous crossings of the river Irwell we were met with Andrew’s off road alternative route. There was a gate to a park (I think it was called Prestwich Forest Park). Beyond the gate there was only darkness, and monsters, probably. Cue comedy off-roading, a term coined in this forum, I believe, as we rode line astern in close formation as not to lose anyone (to the monsters). Obstacles along this section of the route included mud, more mud, standing water and fallen trees. Not to mention the hardware the council had obligingly placed at regular intervals to give us cyclists some practice in agility cycling to get over, under or round said obstacles. Most required getting off our bikes but Kim, our only recumbent rider managed to ride under one without stopping. Kudos to her.

Phase 3: the climb

Eventually, we emerged from the jungle back to civilisation. We stopped at the bus stop to pay our respects to our departed friend and then began the climb up to the moors which marks the highest point of the ride. Initially, nothing was amiss. At a re-gathering stop mcshroom pulled up to tell us his frame had broken. I must admit I was rather impressed by his cheerfulness and optimism at this disaster. And without further ado, he turned round and freewheeled back down the hill.

We continued the climb. I noticed I was getting wetter and wetter, yet it wasn’t raining. We were riding into a cloud. Visibility was also getting worse by the metre and all we could see was the white line in the middle of the lane to tell us we were still on the road. It was impossible to tell whether we’d reached the top except by the gradient beneath our wheels suddenly changing from up to down. It was a shame as on previous rides, nighttime views of the landscape below us were quite spectacular but not tonight. The descent down into Blackburn was not quite as gung-ho as previously owing to reduced visibility but the doors of the 24 hour McDonalds were as welcoming as ever.

Phase 4: the full tummy bit

We emerged from McD to early daylight. Previously, the ride was held later in the year with longer nights but in June, dawn comes much earlier. I always liked this part of the ride as it goes through some beautiful countryside which I could get a better look at in daylight. Still, although still called a night ride, most of the ride was in daylight. Passing Longridge and Garstang, we then deviated from previous years and headed for Fleetwood, somewhere I’d never been before. A series of quiet roads and a tailwind saw us making good progress towards breakfast. “Only six miles to go” said Andrew. After a few miles, it was still six miles to go and a while later, still six miles. Either we were hallucinating or Andrew’s calculations were off. We managed to delay impending hypoglycaemia by sharing out the last of our jelly beans and having raised our blood glucose sufficiently, we heard Andrew confess that his numbers were off.

Phase 5: breakfast

You know these shops you find in many seaside towns that sell all manner of tat? Buckets and spades, sticks of rock, Hawaiian shirts, that sort of thing. Well, this one did all that and breakfast. And what a good breakfast it was. Tables laid out on the pavement - very European in the land of Brexit - were waiting for us. The ladies running the cafe took our orders and brought the food very quickly. The only problem, for some, was the lack of alcohol. That would have to wait.

Once fed, we rode along the sea wall to Blackpool. A 10 mile off road stretch that proved remarkably enjoyable despite the onshore wind. The sights of Blackpool slowly emerged from the mist, but to be honest, they didn’t look any better close up than from a distance. Although we planned for a proper pub stop here, news of train service disruptions made us go to the station first to check out the situation. When we got there, we found out that virtually every train out of Blackpool had been cancelled and replaced by buses.

Phase 6: the rescue

So there we were, a dozen cyclists hanging about the station, wondering how we were getting home or if we were getting home, or destined to stay in Blackpool forever. Suddenly, and I still don’t know how or what happened, but we were ushered onto a train and told to spread ourselves out along the length of the train. There were no other passengers on the train. Without any announcements, the train set off. But where was this impromptu ‘cyclists special’ heading? Hopefully to Preston and Manchester. After stopping a several deserted stations we pulled into Preston where we said our goodbyes to those continuing onto the big smoke and the rest of us to take connecting trains. Wtf just happened was foremost in my mind.

Phase 7: friends reunited and epilogue

On the platform at Preston station, we met Marcus and his broken bike. No doubt he will tell you of his own Friday night experience but we were very glad to see him there. We made our way to the station bar and had that long awaited drink. Sorry that it couldn’t have been with the whole crowd and sadly, I wasn’t able to say goodbye to everyone but thanks to Andrew for organising a great ride, to all the other Fridays for their great company and for serendipity for giving us a most surreal experience.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #46 on: 04 June, 2018, 12:08:29 am »
A ghost train out of Blackpool?

No one, seriously, NO ONE will ever believe that . . . !
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #47 on: 04 June, 2018, 12:20:00 pm »
If Andrew Br is Train-Summoner who is BMX person?

:)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 04 June, 2018, 12:29:45 pm »
If Andrew Br is Train-Summoner who is BMX person?

I think that's me by default, on account of having brought one (extremely-non-BMXy) 406 wheel.

« Reply #49 on: 04 June, 2018, 07:37:22 pm »
Just posted on CycleChat:-

"That was a bit of a hoot wasn't it ? I really enjoyed it.

I think it was the ride that had a bit of everything: gritty urban environment (I'm looking at you Salford). Comedy off-roading. Long ascents. Long descents. Fog so thick you could almost cut it with a knife. Pretty lanes. Flatter than a flat thing lanes. The A6. Alfresco breakfasts with artisan sausages. Faded grandeur (Blackpool and Fleetwood, not me). The correct number of H&S talks (!). No punctures or minor mechanicals. One major mechanical. Trains magically appearing out of nowhere. McDonald's. Err, moving on, a chance to ride with friends old and new. A chance to remember a departed friend. Blackpool Tower.
Hell, there was even a pensioner's picnic :hello:.

Thank you all for your marvellous company and the effort that you put in to attend; that's very flattering and satisfying to me as the ride leader.

Thanks also to bazzer, mcshroom and Moodyman for tail-ending/all-upping and to the waymarkers (various). Knowing the group is taking care of itself is a weight off the leader's shoulders.

Morecambe or Blackpool next year ?
If the Knott End-Fleetwood ferry is running it'll be Blackpool again. If not, who knows ?
All being well, there will be a Manchester FNRttC next year but only one; sorry wanda...

And it wasn't that muddy on the recce."

Plus:-

"Strava here:- https://www.strava.com/activities/1612422709

I've counted 5 crossings of the Irwell and 1 of the Roch, an Irwell tributary.
The other rivers were the Ribble, the Brock, the Calder and, finally, the Wyre.

I'll post pictures when I get around to up-loading them, probably tomorrow."