Author Topic: Gaps under joists?  (Read 1060 times)

Gaps under joists?
« on: 07 September, 2018, 07:44:45 am »
Yes I know I probably just need to pull up some boards and have a look but..

I live in a 1912 built and need to move a radiator to the other side of the room. Don't want to run pipes round the walls, well can't really as would have to pass across doors so going under boards

I know there are boards on joists as have looked before but can't remember if there is a gap under joists or if I'll have to drill through them.

Anyone know if it's likely there is?

Re: Gaps under joists?
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2018, 07:58:19 am »
Ground floor likely there will be, first floor, not

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2018, 08:21:27 am »
But then you can run pipes between joists.

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2018, 08:38:43 am »
It's ground floor thankfully. I've got to go along joists then across and would prefer to not need to drill

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2018, 08:43:05 am »
If you have to drill through them, do it on the neutral axis of the joist.  For a quick idea they probably run across the house instead of front to back. A quick glimpse of your floorboards will tell you exactly.

There are some regulations that you might want to consider and they can be seen at

https://www.dacorum.gov.uk/docs/default-source/planning-development/22---guidance-note---technical---notching-of-joists-may2011.pdf?Status=Master&sfvrsn=0

Most plumbers take no notice of the building regs for drilling or notching joists.

Remember..........It's not rocket science.

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2018, 09:06:42 am »
Thanks. Mine actually run front to back.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2018, 09:47:38 am »
If you run a heating pipe underneath the joists and come up again, you run the risk of creating an air trap in your pipes. It's easiest to just drill through the joist and keep the pipe as flat as you can